Parker Mesa Overlook Trail to East Topanga Fire Road is a 5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Do it clockwise we did it anti and was too steep down

This hike was fantastic! Great balance of tough and rigorous and enjoyable. I hiked on a Wednesday and saw no one while going up the rabbit hole. Once at the top there were a few people who were going up and back the mesa side. The rabbit hole is tough and very steep at areas, I would never go down that way but going up is manageable- I was on all fours a few times. The view at the top is amazing. It took me 2h20m for the whole loop with 55m being ascending the rabbit hole.

Stellar views of the ocean and the city including areas miles away like DTLA.

Great views, indeed. If you're going to hike the full loop, I suggest starting with the Rabbit Hole, which means the left (westerly) trail after entering the gate] It's steep, relatively narrow, and has plenty of loose rock, which makes going down difficult. Easier to hike up it while you're fresh and then descend the smoother side. [It's not so easy to see the Rabbit Hole trailhead as you enter -- it's across a cement storm drain -- so I've posted a pic that points it out.] FYI: There's a bathroom about halfway around the loop.

Views are the best I’ve seen around the area

RABBIT HOLE IS A NIGHTMARE. It’s extremely steep, narrow and rocky. Hardly a trail at all. However if you are trying to see the cross, that’s how you get to it. I would recommend hiking starting to the right, get to the benches right before the Rabbit Hole, and turning around.

Overall it took me 2.5 hrs to go 5.3 mi all due to the Rabbit Hole!

Wednesday, August 09, 2017