Parker Mesa Overlook Trail

Parker Mesa Overlook Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Topanga, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Awesome ocean views, great picnic area, pretty canyon views This is a great hike from the Trippet Ranch in Topanga State Park to the Parker Mesa Overlook. The first section of the trail meanders through a lovely oak grove with lush green grass. Above Trippet Ranch, the trail traverses the ridgeline between Topanga and Santa Ynez Canyons, with views of giant sandstone slabs and the ocean peaking out between the folds of the mountains. The vista from the Parker Mesa Overlook is stunning. You can see all of the LA basin laid out before you, the snow capped San Gabriel Mountains to the north, Catalina Island to the south, and the crescent shaped coastline of Santa Monica to the east.

Amazing hike, great views, and fun.

One of my favorite LA hikes; nice views and a good workout.

The views are fantastic!! Good calorie burner too

This is a moderately difficult hike. Steep up hill and down. Beautiful views are your reward.

Beautiful scenery

Easy trail open spaces and you are not too exposed.

It isn't really easy...more like moderate in my opinion...1,300 ft of elevation gain after all.

My favorite trail in LA! It's a long one but the view at the end is worth all your hard work

This is my go to trail when I just need to get out of the house.

Monday, March 20, 2017

This is one of my favorites. Last time I hiked it was 3/19 and when I got to the top the entire ocean view was covered in clouds so it looked like I was on top of the clouds! I started late and got back to the parking lot later than I wanted to. The whole trail is about 6 miles and pretty easy but there's some incline so allow yourself a few hours. Parking is available on the street before you enter the park so you don't have to pay.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

i was scrolling through the list, looking for a new trail, when I saw that this one was labeled easy. Having done it several times, I didnt recall it being that easy so I did it again. It is easy if you hike a lot but given that it is 6 miles RT, about half of which is without shade, and that there are significant ascents and descents, I would rate it as moderate. It is certainly easier than coming up the other side to Parker Mesa but not a walk in the park. :-)

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Great views

Thursday, November 24, 2016

This is one of my favorite trails in LA. Part of it is on fire roads so it's not like being in the backwoods but it's a good incline and one of my favorite views of LA.

Monday, November 21, 2016

I love this trail!!! The views are amazing!

Friday, October 21, 2016

Love this hike. There are beautiful ocean views on a clear day.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

First time to do hiking here but it's really worth it.

Friday, August 26, 2016

super easy and fun, took my mom, great scene of LA

Monday, July 04, 2016

Amazing view and definitely a leg workout different trails you could take, will be going back for sure

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Completely worth it. The view was beautiful!

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

This trail has nice views and it's a good leg workout. It took me 2hrs 1/2 to finish following the trail track, overall it has an awesome and peaceful view towards the ocean.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

The view was beautiful, one of my favorite hiking spots.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Easy trail. Parking $10. Great view. Hardly no shade.

Monday, August 17, 2015

Biked this trail on the hottest day of the year. Glad I started early! would not consider this easy as a biking trail - my computer calculated total elevation climbed of 1401 ft. But totally worth it as the views were amazing from the entire trail.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Going beyond Los Liones Trail to the Parker Mesa Overlook trail was a good decision, tiring, but good. Great ocean view once high enough. Lots of people to interact with, or not; but they were courteous. Mountain Bikers + a few kids spotted. Definitely bring water if going to tackle Parker Mesa Overlook Trail. It can kick butt if not prepared

Sunday, May 17, 2015

This is a really great hike. It isn't too hard. Has some beautiful scenery, clear trail markings, and a great destination

Friday, October 10, 2014

This was just ok. Started at Los Liones. Unfortunately, really no shade so that made the climb arduous. Clouds rolled in and it made the rest of the hike super easy. Nothing remarkable to see except when you reach the overlook. On way back, near to bottom was busy with super slow walkers. Did this hike in record time and felt it was boring.

Saturday, August 09, 2014

Don't do this hike in the summer... 20% shade... Started from Topanga State Park... Bring lots of water... Very dog friendly if the State Park allows it... But the view from the top is breath-taking!!! If doing this in summer START EARLY!! Before 7am!!

Friday, July 11, 2014

Flew all the way down from Seattle for this hike! Actually was in town for business in Chatsworth and this looked perfect! Great view and perfect distance! Not easy by any means, but not hard. Bring Water!

Saturday, July 05, 2014

I was shocked to see this trail rated easy. And then I saw that most enter the trail off of Topanga Cyn. We entered it from Los Liones Canyon (off of Sunset Blvd.). 3.5 miles in and 3.5 miles out. But the kicker is that it's 3.5 miles straight up. Started at 10:30am (bad move....maximum heat time) and only made it 2.5 miles in (????). I usually enjoy 8+ mile hikes. Will definitely be back and climb my 3.5 miles straight up to earn the awesome view everyone is talking about (even though the views along the way were not too shabby).