Paradise via Point Sal

Paradise via Point Sal is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Casmalia, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

Coastal bluff trail, (Sea) Lion Rock, incredible drop-offs and ocean view. A portion of this hike is on private property.

Great place to get away. Be prepared for a strenuous walk . Take water and food . Poor cell coverage.

The hike was more difficult than I had originally anticipated, but completely doable. We had a blast! The beach was amazing, the waves were perfect, there was sea life all around including dolphins and seals. The climb back up was hard. Basically you are scaling a crumbling sandy cliff. Then you have to gain 1300feet in a mile and a half. Gnarly. But, again, doable. When we returned to the car we had two smashed windows and many personal items missing. The car behind us also had one window smashed. When the police arrived they told us this is not the first time they've had cars broken into here. It's an out of the way area, and they said rows of cars with broken windows are not uncommon. I would love to do the hike again. But, can't afford the losses and damages we incurred.

cool road hiking. would have gotten a beautiful look at the ocean of the kilitary didn't close the gate to the beach right when we got to the top. no signs beneath that they were closing it that day. Beware, the military will close that beach for missile testing in the area.

Great hike, beautiful view with lots of good scenery. Will do again!

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Sunday, April 24, 2016

My dog and I did the full 9.8 mile hike and it was gorgeous! The cove was wonderful but I couldn't find able easy place to get down and back up from the water. I could've done it, but I couldn't get my dog back up if I had gone down, so we enjoyed it from a dozen feet up or so from the water. I'll be back for sure!

Monday, June 15, 2015

If you do this hike you are trespassing... That being said I wouldn't want people leaving their water bottles here anyway. Stay to the point sal trail or "they" will get you! Nothing to see here:(

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Friday, April 18, 2014

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Hiked it again for my third time good hike getting to the beach is always a blast!

Friday, May 17, 2013

Just hiked it for the second time last week! Extremely fun. But beware we saw snakes African bees. :/

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Very fun but strenuous hike. Bring plenty of water. The hike across paradise cove is beautiful shoreline but the sand dune you have to climb out is very difficult. There is a rope about Halfway up

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Thursday, March 29, 2012

I did this hike with my wife for the first time in January and fell in love with it! It was beautiful and we were the only people on the beach until we left. As we were leaving, a plane landed on the beach. The hike was strenuous through the sand dunes near the beach. We can't wait to do it again.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sunday, April 10, 2011

I have tried to finish Point Sal about 3 times this is because I just never have the time to finish it. My first hike I followed the main road which has potholes, rocks, and debris on it. After a while walking up the cliffs you will get to a gate that states you are entering Vandenberg AFB territory. Once you enter the AFB you will be greeted with a steep downhill winding road that will lead you towards the beach. Be warned though you need many hours to complete the hike to the beach but, once you complete it you will probably have a beach to yourself for the day for the most part. The hike does provide spectacular views but, it is very tiring if not properly trained for it like I was. The next hike I did here I went through the fabled "jeep trail" which is a hike through cow pastures this hike was much easier due to not many steep sections like the main hike. I hiked on this one for about 3 hours and had to turn around since it seemed I was just going a much longer route than before. Both of these trails contain great views of surrounding beaches and both of them give you much different terrain to hike across. Issues I would like to warn you is of wind this area seems to always be very windy, the roads are washed out and have difficult spots to hike up due to the nature of the broken up road, bring snacks and lots of water as this is an all day adventure. Also, take it easy if you haven't hiked up steep terrain because the next day you will be surely sore. Overall this was a great adventure for me seeing the beaches and the ocean on a clear day as it looked exactly like a painting.