Paradise Mountain Loop

Paradise Mountain Loop is a 8.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pauma Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until July. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hike 3-5 times a week and this hike was hard in the June heat, there is no shade for several hours. You need AT LEAST 5 liters of water. I had 3 and it was not enough. I would only recommend this hike in the winter. Also it was 9.6 miles for me without the viewpoints and according to the map I went the shortest loop.

This hike is a must-do for avid hikers. It’s lightly trafficked and the views at the top are amazing. The climb is pretty intense, and the footing is loose, so wear appropriate footwear. If you go out to both overlooks, the total distance will be closer to 10 miles. You may want to visit the Hellhole Canyon Preserve website before heading out as they are closed mid-week and part of the summer.

Loves the views! Not crowded at all maybe saw 6 people. I did get stung by a bee at the top. The decent was a little tricky with all the loose rock. Great workout.

This was tough considering I had my 30-pound son on my back. Definitely bring at least 1.5 liters of water and some energy-loaded munchies. Viewpoint 1 is worthwhile, but Viewpoint was not. Unless you're looking for a good workout, forgo it. Bring sunscreen and save some energy for the ascent back to the staging area.

Started on the trail around 9:20. Nice and cool at the beginning by the time I got back it was up around 82 which isn’t bad, just made me thirsty, so bring about 1.5-2 liters of water with you. View from the top was great. Even with it being Sunday, there were only a few people on the trail and I think most of them were just in the canyon. Solid workout. The descent on the backside can get a little slick with all the loose rock so just watch yourself.

Did the exact loop listed and it came out at 8.3 miles in 3.5 hrs

The route listed is longer than 8.2 miles. I took the first shortcut coming down the mountain and it was exactly 8.2 miles. The ascent is difficult, mainly because parts of the trail are washed out and overgrown. The views at the top are amazing. I came on a weekend and there were very few people. There is water at the trailhead for horses and dogs. Make sure to pack plenty though, there is no shade and even in the winter, it can get warm.

Monday, December 26, 2016