Panther Meadows, Southgate Meadows and Gray Butte

Panther Meadows, Southgate Meadows and Gray Butte is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Shasta, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from July until October.

I can tell you the map they show here is not a trail after an hour of searching for the trail I realized there is none this must’ve been cross country climbing…

Almost alone on the hike. Wonderful weather. And the views are breathtaking.

Amazing hike. Have to admit - wasnt looking forward to this hike. Worried that the smoke from the fires would ruin it when actually the hike was above the smoke. Easy to find trailhead. Panther Meadows - really nice in the morning. Grey Butte was also really nice - gradual elevation gain and the views of Shasta were amazing. Back to Southgate - really interesting - almost a desert feel. Back to Panther Meadow. Dont skip this hike

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Stopping to hike around Mt. Shasta wasn’t on my itinerary but I’m glad I did. I started on the Gray Butte trail since this was the only trail I had knowledge of. Nice hike offering some amazing views of Mt. Shasta and the surrounding landscape. A little rocky and steep towards the top of the peak but definitely worth the effort. After working my way back down my curiosity of the South Gate Meadows (another name for this is Squaw Meadows apparently) trail got to me so I took off that way. Not having researched this trail I slowed my pace a little. Some great variations on this hike with a good portion out in the open. Upon arriving at the South Gate Meadows I was introduced to a fast moving stream pushing its way through the land. After looking around I realized I had worked my way around to the far side of Mt. Shasta and another great view. I headed back the way I came and to the Panther Meadows campground. I spent about three hours on roughly six and half miles of trail. Still unfamiliar with these Nor-Cal hikes but I saw enough to convince me to come back.

Monday, August 01, 2016

The Panther meadows are beautiful and extremely easy to hike. After that you are left with a whole nothing to do. I ended up by hiking towards the summit and reached the snow (maybe by green butte?) Only on my way down I realized there was a trail coming from the last (highest) car parking.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

We did the loop in august, left from panther meadows campground and went up and in, its about 2.6 miles to squaw meadows, we hung out there and then looped back to the old ski bowl via the upper trail. came in at a little over 5 miles with the walk back down from the bowl. The view there and through the barren moon scape on the side of Mt Shasta was great. The rest of the trail is mostly wooded so more pine trees! you can camp at the meadows for the backpackers out there.