Palomar Observatory Trail

Palomar Observatory Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Aguanga, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from March until November.

Directions from LA Basin: Head east on Hwy 76 to S6 and drive north toward Palomar Mountain. Follow S6 to Observatory Campground. Trailhead parking is near the amphitheater inside the campground (follow the signs). Vehicles must display a Forest Adventure Pass. The trailhead is adjacent to the amphitheater.

nice simple and a beautiful hike

Lots of poison oak. No scenery.

A pleasant hike with some great views. The observatory at the top was good to see too.

Tons of poison oak but a cool hike.

Wonderful hike. I've been coming to the observatory for years. Camped at the site several times. this is the first time that I hiked the trail. what a treat. I never knew there was a valley to the south. Not too challenging but well worth the effort.

Wonderful hike. Nice scenery especially around the middle looking south there's a valley. Easy to moderate. Took about an hour and fifteen minutes going up with stops for pics. 45 minutes coming down with no stops.

What a hike. My son and I dropped my wife at the airport early this morning so we had the day to ourselves so I decided to on this hike. Terrain isn't to bad trail can be confusing at times but as long you keep your eyes open for signs of a trail you will be fine. We also enjoyed the observatory at the top.

Fun hike from campground to observatory. Rate between easy to moderate(uphill) due to elevation.

I would rate easy to moderate. My 8 year old son and I hiked up and back w/out any issues.

Sunday, June 19, 2016