Palomar Divide Road

Palomar Divide Road [CLOSED] is a 25.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Aguanga, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 25.1 miles Elevation Gain: 4,819 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

Subject to closure based on wet weather or fire danger. See here for most up to date closure info: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5340229

closed
1 hour ago

Currently closed - signed posted everywhere that says “no trespassing, forbidden by law”. Closed my eyes and drove pass then but in about 300 meters and there’s a closed gate blocking the road.

off road driving

Did the trail with two stock Subaru Forresters, a Ram Rebel, and a Toyota Forerunner and had no issues. Gates were all open on 09/21/19.

off road driving

Open all the way as of 8/21/19. 4wd nor high clearance is needed. Drove a stock wrangler Sahara today.

off road driving

Trail is open as of 8.4.19 and in good condition.

off road driving

Beaitiful views. The north half of trail is narrow and filled with loose rock. A high clearance 2 wheel drive could make it. The south half is paved. Gate to the top near watch tower is open.

off road driving

7/9/19, trail is open. I didnt run the whole thing but it is open. I drove about 9 miles of it before turning around.

It’s open! We Did trail 7/6/2019 definitely a fun trail with a lot of beautiful scenery. We entered through RV resort. It starts off moderate and is easy towards the end.

off road driving

Pretty easy trail and it is OPEN at the moment. I ran the trail yesterday.

Hitting a locked gate so close to coming out at the observatory pretty much ruined the day. Nothing spectacular on trail and some parts were even rather poorly paved. Over all a waste of gas...

off road driving

Extremely fun till the end on the eastern side. Locked gate but found an opening to squeeze through.

off road driving

What a beautiful trail and directions were spot on! At first we had a dirt trail but as we ascended we got to enjoy snow!! Passed a few others along the way and on the backside coming down towards Warner Springs hit a tight spot as someone coming up was trying to pass us. Overall would do it again!!

off road driving

Very beautiful scenic drive. I did this in my stock 2018 JK. Did not have to put it in 4 wheel drive, but did anyway when we were going over the icy spots. There were many side trails closed off.

It’s closed.

Easy fun drive.

Saturday, September 15, 2018

We came in off 79 by RV Park, turned left up small hill towards private gate and trail viers off to left from there. nice trail with high outlooks and made it up to fire watch tower following pretty easy trail. I saw a lot of stock tire tread patterns in the dirt and passed a three others along the trip but nothing too crowded. keep ur backup points in mind as some sections are narrow for a ways. we were hoping to pop out in the Observatory area and take their tour but gates at that end wefe closed. I had called S. B. Ranger station late last week who told me gates were open so be aware things change. The ride back was still nice and range at watch tower was also nice to talk with. Fire scars show how rough the terrain is to be fighting fires so hats off to them.

Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Visiting from Arizona we wanted to take the Jeep out for a nice Californian drive. Most of the places up north from this trail were all closed because of the forest fires, But This trail was perfect, just the right amount of hills and low traffic. I aired down the tires and we drove pretty quick through some of the turns it was fun. About a quarter of the way through we saw a another trail heading down the mountain so we gave it a try it was a lot more technical and a lot of fun.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

A little confusing to find the trail at first do to all the other routes that are private property , once you do it’s pretty descent. Nothing terrible high clearance 2wd rigs will have no problem with this trail. Mainly a fire ride with a few off shoots.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

has anyone ran this in one day?

Sunday, February 04, 2018

This trail is easy to moderate. I saw several no trespassing signs but I spent a few hours here, spoke to several people, and no one stopped me. Plenty of amazing scenery. Only downside and why I rated this trail four stars is the litter including large amounts of glass and shell casings. Be wary in areas where you see any debris.

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Got about 2 Miles in and hit a locked gate.. there were no trespassing signs everywhere

Thursday, July 20, 2017

My first time hitting a trail in a truck and I had an awesome experience. A little bumpy at first, a handful of tight turns but nothing too technical overall. 4x4 is not needed. Strongly recommend to those looking to explore and learn the off road scene.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Was able to hit the fire roads today all the way to the top. Nice little drive up the mountain. 4x4 not needed.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Don't bother attempting this one, my girlfriend and I tried yesterday and a few miles or so past the start point is a heavy duty gate that you cannot pass.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Very disappointed! Drove the trail for about 3 miles and it was closed. The scenery was very beautiful. I would like to complete this trail however it would be nice if a sign was posted sooner stating it's closed.

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Started out on High Point Truck Trail and hoped to access Palomar Divide Road. Gate was closed a few miles in. Gate was also closed from the other entry point at Palomar Divide road. Call Cleveland Natl' Forest Palomar Ranger District 760-788-0250 before you attempt the trip. Beautiful scenery.

Friday, June 12, 2015

This is an easy, but fun and beautiful drive. My wife, daughter, our dog and I made the drive a couple of weeks ago in our Land Rover DII and really enjoyed the trail. Almost the entire drive is 1 vehicle wide, shelf roads that made my 8 year old pretty nervous; its a very scenic drive with a lot of great views, we started out taking Highpoint Rd and cut into the Polomar Divide Rd and went all the way to the observatory property that was gated off. On the way down, we ran into some vehicles coming the other way once we hit paved rd, that was about the only time that we needed the clearance that we have, pulling off the side so that the other vehicles could pass. It's a good drive, but don't expect much challenge; a stock 4x4 can easily pass this trail. I would recommend 4 wheel drive, though it will likely not be needed. We'll definitely make the drive again.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

just completed this with my girlfriend and our kids no trouble at all in my Chevy Silverado 1500HD. There are a lot of good lookouts. plan on being there for a couple hours BC the trail is long and only one lane.

Monday, March 03, 2014

Wanted to go off-roading on a rainy day with my wife and daughter. The trail is not difficult but a fun and close to home . My only negative is that about 3 miles in their is a forestry gate that is locked.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Turned around after seeing no trespassing signs at start of trail. Disappointed..

Friday, April 12, 2013

This trail was a big waste of gas. No mud. No water. No fun. I could have took my wife's car on this trail and been fine. This should be rated as an easy trail. It was good to get off the paved road for a little bit and there were some cool lookout points at the higher elevation points but that's about all I got out of this ride. Not going again.