Palomar Divide Road is a 25.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Aguanga, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 25.1 miles Elevation Gain: 4,819 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

Access to this trail is gated and it is also subject to closure based on wet weather or fire danger. See here for most up to date closure info: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5340229

ohv/off road driving

Good beginner trail, I recently bought a 2019 FX4 Ranger and it was no problem. We drove up the entrance at the RV park, was uphill dirt the entire way. Didn’t have to use 4x4 too much unless we went off the main trail to a side obstacle. The trail is used by hikers, mountain bikers and vehicles so just be careful on the blind turns. Great beginner trail with great views, everything was open as of 5/22.

ohv/off road driving

My first decent off-road driving, made it with 2020 Subaru Outback with no problem, X-Mode on and traction control off, if you are also a Subaru driver, turn off the pre-collision assistant might be a good choice cuz it might misjudge the situation and brake suddenly when driving downhills. Any SUV with high ground clearance can make it, 4X4 is not required.

nice long trail.... good scenary.... a couple obstacles along the way..... at the top near the tower there is tons of shade for a nice picnic....still considered easy tho.... entered at 79 near Warner springs..... exited at the RV park bottom of high point

ohv/off road driving

Opened gate along hwy 79. Easy drive, trail in great condition with beautiful flowers and views. Gate closed at Palomar near the observatory, so you’ll either go back down Palomar Divide or down High Point.

ohv/off road driving

Beginner 4x4 adventurer and I got to get my feet wet with 4x4 today. Unfortunately the gate was closed at the top of the mountain. Great views.

ohv/off road driving

Despite the forest service website (updated on January 5th, 2020) stating the road is open, it was pad locked shut as it was last year on a previous failed attempt. If you're a gambling type you can give it a try, just don't rely on this website for accuracy. I did attempt a phone call one other time to the Ramona Station to verify, left a voicemail but never heard back.

closed

9S07 at HWY 79 gate was closed on 12/14/19 even though USFS website said it was open as of 12/12/19.

scenic driving

closed

Currently closed - signed posted everywhere that says “no trespassing, forbidden by law”. Closed my eyes and drove pass then but in about 300 meters and there’s a closed gate blocking the road.

ohv/off road driving

Did the trail with two stock Subaru Forresters, a Ram Rebel, and a Toyota Forerunner and had no issues. Gates were all open on 09/21/19.

ohv/off road driving

Open all the way as of 8/21/19. 4wd nor high clearance is needed. Drove a stock wrangler Sahara today.

ohv/off road driving

Trail is open as of 8.4.19 and in good condition.

ohv/off road driving

Beaitiful views. The north half of trail is narrow and filled with loose rock. A high clearance 2 wheel drive could make it. The south half is paved. Gate to the top near watch tower is open.

ohv/off road driving

7/9/19, trail is open. I didnt run the whole thing but it is open. I drove about 9 miles of it before turning around.

It’s open! We Did trail 7/6/2019 definitely a fun trail with a lot of beautiful scenery. We entered through RV resort. It starts off moderate and is easy towards the end.

ohv/off road driving

Pretty easy trail and it is OPEN at the moment. I ran the trail yesterday.

Thu Feb 07 2019

Hitting a locked gate so close to coming out at the observatory pretty much ruined the day. Nothing spectacular on trail and some parts were even rather poorly paved. Over all a waste of gas...

Sat Jan 19 2019

Extremely fun till the end on the eastern side. Locked gate but found an opening to squeeze through.

Tue Jan 01 2019

What a beautiful trail and directions were spot on! At first we had a dirt trail but as we ascended we got to enjoy snow!! Passed a few others along the way and on the backside coming down towards Warner Springs hit a tight spot as someone coming up was trying to pass us. Overall would do it again!!

Sun Dec 30 2018

Very beautiful scenic drive. I did this in my stock 2018 JK. Did not have to put it in 4 wheel drive, but did anyway when we were going over the icy spots. There were many side trails closed off.

Mon Dec 17 2018

It’s closed.

Sun Dec 16 2018

Easy fun drive.

Sat Sep 15 2018

We came in off 79 by RV Park, turned left up small hill towards private gate and trail viers off to left from there. nice trail with high outlooks and made it up to fire watch tower following pretty easy trail. I saw a lot of stock tire tread patterns in the dirt and passed a three others along the trip but nothing too crowded. keep ur backup points in mind as some sections are narrow for a ways. we were hoping to pop out in the Observatory area and take their tour but gates at that end wefe closed. I had called S. B. Ranger station late last week who told me gates were open so be aware things change. The ride back was still nice and range at watch tower was also nice to talk with. Fire scars show how rough the terrain is to be fighting fires so hats off to them.

Tue Sep 04 2018

Visiting from Arizona we wanted to take the Jeep out for a nice Californian drive. Most of the places up north from this trail were all closed because of the forest fires, But This trail was perfect, just the right amount of hills and low traffic. I aired down the tires and we drove pretty quick through some of the turns it was fun. About a quarter of the way through we saw a another trail heading down the mountain so we gave it a try it was a lot more technical and a lot of fun.

Tue Jun 19 2018

A little confusing to find the trail at first do to all the other routes that are private property , once you do it’s pretty descent. Nothing terrible high clearance 2wd rigs will have no problem with this trail. Mainly a fire ride with a few off shoots.

Tue Jun 12 2018

has anyone ran this in one day?