Palisade Creek Trail

Palisade Creek Trail is a 18.2 mile out and back trail located near Norden, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

An off road vehicle is needed to access the trailhead as there is an approximate 3.5 mile dirt road of very rocky and bumpy terrain.

BRING AN OFF ROAD VEHICLE. About a 3.5 mile dirt road of very rocky and bumpy terrain. The location is definitely worth the trip. Beautiful lakes and trails. Rope swings and rocks to jump off of. People are very friendly. **There are water snakes** They did not cause us any trouble though.

Amazing hike with a beautiful waterfall at the end, it is safe (deep enough) to jump off the smaller ledge(~20m). There are also lots of fishing holes at the end, so bring your rod. We hung our bear bag off the bridge and didn't have any problems.

This was a great trail! There is no snow on the trail as of 7/9/17. Right near the trail head is Long Lake, and there are a number of camping spots and a rope swing there. The trail goes mostly downhill on the way there, and you reach amazing water falls and rapids at the bottom. You can swim at the waterfalls, so make sure to pack a swim suit. This site has the trail continuing from there up the mountain again, but we skipped that part. On the way back, be prepared for uphill - it took us about 3-4 hours. When we returned on a Sunday, there were tons of people who were there for the day hanging out on Long Lake, drinking beer and chilling on tubes. Overall, I highly recommend the trail.

Your in for a treat once you get to the bottom. Make sure you pack a three day stay because it is worth it!! Snakes bears and bees/mosquitos. Map or gps will be key on this trek in. Switch back!! Look for markers and do not go off trail!!!!

I did this trail for my first backpacking trip, and I agree with the difficulty level of this trail. We went mid-June so some of the trail was still covered from snow which made finding the path extremely tricky. The granite portion was confusing to follow: watch for the cairns and be prepared to spend extra time making sure you're on the right path!Downloading maps from AllTrails genuinely saved us from getting too far off course!

We spent the night next to lake which was one of the most memorable nights of my life because of the view. From there the venture into the woods begins, which may seem easier than the granite but it's not. A lot of the trail was covered with fallen trees, so it increased the level of difficulty to climb over them with our bags in the summer heat. The most eventful part of the trip was running into a black bear along the path. Luckily we shooed him away by getting big and making lots of noise, but would highly advise others to be prepared to see a bear!

Overall, one of the best experiences of my life. A must-do for anyone who loves nature and all it has to offer!

The lakes at the beginning were beautiful and I'm bummed that I never went swimming in any of them. We often were confused about where the trail went due to the terrain and poor trails markers. About half of the trail is on bare exposed rock so it is easy to walk off trail. We didn't do the switchbacks up the hill after mile 6 and ended up camping next to the river at mile 6. I recommend going earlier in the season so that the river flow is higher and you have more opportunities to fill up water bottles (we had a few lakes at the beginning, some gross still ponds at mile 4, and a small waterfall at mile 6).

Monday, August 01, 2016

Monday, August 01, 2016

Overnight moderate difficulty hike, stick to the trial, printout a map and reference location via phone gps if you'd like; My GPS worked almost up until the river/ creek confluence & waterfall area. Big guys bring 3-6L of water (one way) and you can refill at the river w/ some Purification Pills for the trip back. I will advise to bring a bear bag for your food supply and hang it in the nearby trees as there are Black Bears in the area. We had one devour our food that was roughly 20 ft from the camp, he circled the tent a few times at several different times during the night but didn't show any aggressive signs.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Perfect down and up/ out and back.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

My husband and I did this hike in late July, so the waterfalls were not at high flow. Would definitely recommend as an overnight night hike as the return trip out is exhausting (especially with heavier overnight packs). Took about 3 hours for us to get to the confluence and about 4.5 out the next day, stopping several times to take photos and re-hydrate. This trail leads through several different types of landscape…very beautiful and worth the trip. Plenty of pools to swim at the confluence of the American River and several places to set up camp. Many trails leading around the American River so you could make this a longer trip if you desired, we only chose to make this an overnight. As mention in the other post it is wise to watch for the cairns and try to help out when you can by restacking them for others. Crossing over the granite ridge can get confusing.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

(Updated 6/6/2016) This trail is mainly about waterfalls. It goes by a few of them on Palisade Creek and ends at Palisade Falls on the American River.
It's a bit hard to follow, especially early in the season, and especially for the first hour across the granite section. Just remember that this section makes many random 90-degree turns and watch for the cairns (aka ducks). It would be helpful if everyone doing this trail would fix the cairns as they go, as they're always getting knocked over.

A few other things: While we have done this as a day hike, I wouldn't recommend it. It takes us at least 4 hours each way and you can't spend much time at the bottom. The actual stats are that it's about 6.5 miles one-way and 3000 feet of descent, so it's not an easy trail. I've seen a lot of people just day hiking down to Palisade Creek Falls though, which is a lot easier.

The Heath Falls trail shown on the topo maps does exist, sortof. The first tenth of a mile or so leading off of the main trail has been buried in a bunch of fallen trees on the north side of the pond there. Just go north of the pond to about 39.254922° -120.408677°, where you should be able to pick up the trail as it follows the bottom of that little valley. It heads towards Heath Springs on the western side of the valley and eventually disappears in the leaf litter, so to get to Heath Falls you will need to just bushwhack east across the valley, ideally staying away from the river until you find the trail to the falls. There are "No Trespassing" signs all over the place since the land upstream is owned by the rich a$$holes up at "The Cedars", but as far as I can tell most of them are in the wrong place, being well inside the "Wild and Scenic River" boundary and facing all different directions, so I'm not sure where exactly they consider the boundary to be. Just ignore them and go to the falls. And FYI, the Heath valley is not a good place to camp. There's really no reliable water there, as that whole section of river runs through the gnarliest gorge I've ever seen, and Heath Springs is a suspicious copper color and is also apparently the spawning ground for all the mosquitoes in the world.

The part of the main Palisade Creek trail south of the river going to Soda Springs Road, shown on the USGS maps, was destroyed in a landslide in 1996, but I've heard different things on how passable it is.

The 5-mile dirt road to the main trailhead is usually barely passable to sedans - it floods and there's lots of loose rock. Towards the end there's a steep downhill section just past the Devil's Peak Lookout warming hut. If you don't have high clearance then park at the warming hut and walk down to the trailhead.