Painted Rock Loop Trail

Painted Rock Loop Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tahoe City, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

This trail was alright but in some areas I found myself pushing my bike a lot due to steep and rocky sections. I would recommend going up the S.S. Wallternate rather than the Lower Missing Link. This missing lower link was the steep and very rocky area that had me walking my bike. The mosquitoes were also very thick throughout this trail.

The trail is much better suited for mountain biking than hiking. While it's great to see just how much effort has been put into making the curves of the trail absolutely perfect, those same curves are annoying to a hiker since you know you could have gone from point A to point B much faster.

I highly recommend hitting the Tahoe Rim trail sidetrail -- that's where you get to see gorgeous mountain vistas.

More photos: https://csgirllife.wordpress.com/2018/06/22/painted-rock-trail-lake-tahoe

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Nice hike but not my favorite. Mosquitoes were pretty bad (second week of July) and the trail was very sunny. Nice views on the way down of Squaw Valley.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

We just did the loop part, didn't do the extra "tail". There's still a lot of snow on the ground about a mile in, which made it hard to find the trail, even with the All Trails map and GPS. We took a shortcut that had us bushwhacking at one point when we had given up on finding the trail. Mostly in the shade. This is definitely a trail used for mountain biking as well, so be on the lookout for people spinning down the mountain.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

The hike was great. However if you didn't have the app the trail head would be hard to find. Once you are on the trail it is easy to follow and a good hike for exercise.

Sunday, July 10, 2016