Packsaddle Cave Trail

Packsaddle Cave Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Springville, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

Hike begins about 16 miles north of Kernville on Mtn. 99. Just north of the Fairview Campground. Trail climbs 3 miles to the cave. Bring a flashlight to explore the cave to see the remaining stalactites and stalagmites . Trail gains elevation fairly constantly with a 900 ft gain to cross the ridge/saddle. Along this incline you can see deer brush. manzanita, live oak, digger pine and sagebrush. Trail dips down to the creek - crossing it about three times. Cave has stalactites and stalagmites - bring flashlight.

The hike is almost a constant climb in elevation until halfway or so then it goes down just to climb up again to the cave. We didn’t quite make it to the cave due to timing and daylight ending soon. Overall it would have taken approximately 5-6 hours round trip so plan accordingly.

Excellent out and back hike. The first half of the way to the cave is uphill and has no shade. We found it strenuous even on an overcast day in November, so if you're trying it in the summer bring lots of water. The cave is very cool. Make sure to bring a light or download a flashlight app because it goes back far enough to get REALLY dark.

AMAZING cave. I’m only giving it a 4 due to the multitude of gnats when crossing the creek. We went in mid-October and there wasn’t much shade but the weather was great. Our 2 dogs had a blast. It is steep at first but eventually lets off. The cave is something that you normally pay admission for. Bring a headlamp and a camera/phone that can try to do it justice. Would do again.

This trail was difficult especially during the summer months. We ran out of water on the way up to the cave 48 ounces each so make sure you bring plenty of water or a filter. We brought headlamps to explore.

My group would rate this hike as strenuous - especially in the 100 degree heat. The trail has virtually no shade and gains elevation quickly. The cave is a welcome respite from the heat, and you can use the creek water to refill your supply if you have a filter. I'd recommend this hike in a cooler season. Watch out for the poison oak!

Good trail but your mostly in the sun. Lots of uphill but the cave was amazing and made the hike worth it! Its deep so make sure to bring a flashlight!June 10, 2017

This was honestly a hard hike for me but I did just hiking trails so it may just be me. The beginning of the hike was the hardest and the the path was overgrown and full of bugs after the creek. I turned around there. Wish I saw the caves but running into poison ivy was the end of my hike for the day. Good luck

this trail is awesome took my kids and loved it.

Love this little cave and the great workout getting there gives. Pretty steep incline if you aren't used to hiking, so pack enough water and snacks.

Great hike. Took my teen boys and they enjoyed it. A little tough for them, but experiencing a cave at the end of the trail was worth it. Beautiful creeks after a mile. Very narrow at some points.

Great app and it is up hill most of way but we took like 100 stops on way up

Great hike. First part of the hike is very hard and little shade. Some erosion due to lots of rain this year. Many little pools to play in while hiking there. The cave was amazing.

Awesome trail! Took me about 1 1/2, mostly due to I ran all the way back, Cave is sooo dope tho!!!!

We had a great hike here. It took us about 4-5 hours. There are some parts of the trail that get covered from erosion, trees, water, etc but it is pretty easy to find your way. If you are a beginner, probably not the best start due to the steep grades, narrow paths at points and varied terrain. With that said it's doable but be prepared with plenty to hydrate, snacks, sunblock, bug repellent, First Aid kit, and be in a group. Start early to allow for breaks and less heat. The cave is up high so conserve energy along the way for out and back. The cave was totally worth it. Also, if you bring your dog as we did, make sure you've got everything & extra for them.