Packsaddle Cave Trail

Packsaddle Cave Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Springville, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

Hike begins about 16 miles north of Kernville on Mtn. 99. Just north of the Fairview Campground. Trail climbs 3 miles to the cave. Bring a flashlight to explore the cave to see the remaining stalactites and stalagmites . Trail gains elevation fairly constantly with a 900 ft gain to cross the ridge/saddle. Along this incline you can see deer brush. manzanita, live oak, digger pine and sagebrush. Trail dips down to the creek - crossing it about three times. Cave has stalactites and stalagmites - bring flashlight.

First off, please keep in mind that there are TICKS IN THE TREES that will drop on you. I pulled one off my dog during the hike and just found one on my rib. Other than that, the trail itself is absolutely gorgeous, and the cave is a wonder to behold. The stalagmites are still forming and all the formations are truly incredible. My dogs had no problem on the trail, though they are in great shape. Once you reach the end of the trail, you'll notice the sign fell down and someone had dragged it further down the trail, but we put it back where it belongs. You'll want to go to the left to get up to the cave.

Trailhead is unmarked. You will need to go to what looks like a fire road directly across from the fairview campground parking. Trail is straight up and you will need to keep an eye out for markings when you get to the end showing you to the cave. It is not clearly marked and cairns or rock arrows as indicated in pictures have been changed or moved.

The hike was great and the weather in December was perfect. The cave was more than I expected, I was very surprised to see it was a real cave and not an old mining claim.
It's a busy trail and it was tough on my dog, due to the leash requirement, you probably shouldn't tell your dog where you're going.

The hike is almost a constant climb in elevation until halfway or so then it goes down just to climb up again to the cave. We didn’t quite make it to the cave due to timing and daylight ending soon. Overall it would have taken approximately 5-6 hours round trip so plan accordingly.

Excellent out and back hike. The first half of the way to the cave is uphill and has no shade. We found it strenuous even on an overcast day in November, so if you're trying it in the summer bring lots of water. The cave is very cool. Make sure to bring a light or download a flashlight app because it goes back far enough to get REALLY dark.

AMAZING cave. I’m only giving it a 4 due to the multitude of gnats when crossing the creek. We went in mid-October and there wasn’t much shade but the weather was great. Our 2 dogs had a blast. It is steep at first but eventually lets off. The cave is something that you normally pay admission for. Bring a headlamp and a camera/phone that can try to do it justice. Would do again.

This trail was difficult especially during the summer months. We ran out of water on the way up to the cave 48 ounces each so make sure you bring plenty of water or a filter. We brought headlamps to explore.

My group would rate this hike as strenuous - especially in the 100 degree heat. The trail has virtually no shade and gains elevation quickly. The cave is a welcome respite from the heat, and you can use the creek water to refill your supply if you have a filter. I'd recommend this hike in a cooler season. Watch out for the poison oak!

Good trail but your mostly in the sun. Lots of uphill but the cave was amazing and made the hike worth it! Its deep so make sure to bring a flashlight!June 10, 2017

This was honestly a hard hike for me but I did just hiking trails so it may just be me. The beginning of the hike was the hardest and the the path was overgrown and full of bugs after the creek. I turned around there. Wish I saw the caves but running into poison ivy was the end of my hike for the day. Good luck

this trail is awesome took my kids and loved it.

Love this little cave and the great workout getting there gives. Pretty steep incline if you aren't used to hiking, so pack enough water and snacks.

Great hike. Took my teen boys and they enjoyed it. A little tough for them, but experiencing a cave at the end of the trail was worth it. Beautiful creeks after a mile. Very narrow at some points.

Great app and it is up hill most of way but we took like 100 stops on way up

Great hike. First part of the hike is very hard and little shade. Some erosion due to lots of rain this year. Many little pools to play in while hiking there. The cave was amazing.

Awesome trail! Took me about 1 1/2, mostly due to I ran all the way back, Cave is sooo dope tho!!!!

We had a great hike here. It took us about 4-5 hours. There are some parts of the trail that get covered from erosion, trees, water, etc but it is pretty easy to find your way. If you are a beginner, probably not the best start due to the steep grades, narrow paths at points and varied terrain. With that said it's doable but be prepared with plenty to hydrate, snacks, sunblock, bug repellent, First Aid kit, and be in a group. Start early to allow for breaks and less heat. The cave is up high so conserve energy along the way for out and back. The cave was totally worth it. Also, if you bring your dog as we did, make sure you've got everything & extra for them.

Thursday, February 02, 2017

Do not walk this trail in the winter. The trail may be frozen over and you risk falling off the edge. Be aware that the trees along the trail are ridden with ticks that will drop down on you as you walk under them. Cover yourself completely and use repellant. Check your body thoroughly after the hike. There is a steep climb for the first part of the trail with no shade. After that, you may be stone hopping across creaks to follow the trail. As you get close to the cave, keep your eyes open for a trail leading up the hill on your left to get to it. The cave is amazing. It used to be more wet than it has been lately. There used to actually be a pool of water in one of the small rooms. Be sure to get on your hands and knees to crawl and explore the cave. The hike back is tough. Give yourself enough time so you still have daylight.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

great hike! and the cave was a nice finish!

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Moderate work out for an old guy
1.5 hours from Bakersfield
1.15 hours to cave
1.0 hour back down
Note: there are 2 caves - the easiest one is the unanmed one a bit further up the canyon on the USGS topo. Look for a cairn on the trail pointing to the side route.