Pacific to Redwoods Loop

Pacific to Redwoods Loop is a 12 mile loop trail located near Santa Cruz, California that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options.

Use extreme caution around the cliffs near the ocean. Dress in layers: it can be very chilly near the ocean and quite warm in the park's higher reaches. The park is very popular on weekends; a weekday visit will be much more pleasant.

The coastal part is great. Poor signage but otherwise very beautiful. You’ll have to use the map to see where you are so you don’t get lost.

I have mountain biked on the upper portion of this trail (expect the ocean part). The western side of the trail, Baldwin Loop, was unmaintained. The grass was as tall as myself, and covered everything -- you could barely see the trail. At some point, the grass turned into thisle, also as tall as myself! I had to unmount and carefully walk through all that thisle, but it was actually impossible to not get scratched.

Also, since you are basically touching the grass with all your body, you will be full of ticks after. You cannot avoid them.

I do not recommend going on the western side of the loop. Technically it is not a hard trail, but plowing through tall grass full of ticks is no fun.

The eastern side of the trail is much better. At some point you do cross another grass field, but the grass is not taller than knee high, and there is some room so that you can avoid touching the grass.

Awesome hike

Great coastal walk and serene walk through the redwoods.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Cool hike, but definitely come prepared. There are almost no signs for the ocean portion of the trail; without the alltrail app, I’d say it’s impossible to know the way. Also, there were TONS of ticks. I found 7 on me. Make sure to bring bug spray, and check yourself periodically. Last, bring sunscreen....very little shade on this one.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Great trail. Not hard at all. Lots of bike traffic in the first part. Long hike along the coast to finish. Very scenic. Beautiful views over the various beaches. We saw dolphins, whales, seals ... and surfers.

Monday, June 26, 2017

This was a beautiful trail! I wouldn't rate it as difficult, it's more like moderate. It seems to be more like a biker trail. I didn't see too many hikers. It wasn't too much of a problem, we just had to step aside from time to time. There were two reasons I took away a star. #1 it's not really a trail with trail markers. You are basically hoping from trail to trail. But all trails gps thing SAVED US! #blessed
#2 it's pretty long. There are a couple of points where you will wonder "when does this trail end!" But it's not too bad at the end of the day.
Don't let this discourage you. If you have the AllTrails app and are mentally and physically prepared then you will do just fine and enjoy a beautiful/diverse hike ! :)

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Views all day long . Worth every step

Saturday, March 04, 2017

I love enjoying the open air at the edge of the ocean. This was my first time at this trail. Me and my wife hike the 12 mile loop, the next time we would do biking. It's a really nice trail but not as hard as I though. The views at the ocean compensates the whole loop!!

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Love this hike -- beach bluffs, Redwoods, hills -- so much variety! And loads of wildlife. Yesterday we spotted red tailed hawks, wild turkeys, deer, lizards, foxes, squirrels, banana slugs, otter, sea lions, seals and surfers!

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Such a gorgeous and varied hikes - oceans, Redwoods, stunning views. This hike has it all! Only 3 mountain bikes and about 6 other hikers encountered on this weekday hike. Loved it!!! Moderate terrain not hard.

recorded Pacific to Redwoods Loop