Eagle Rock via the PCT

Eagle Rock via the PCT is a 6.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Warner Springs, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, bird watching, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 849 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Park in front of the Warner Springs Fire Department on the large shoulder of Highway 79. The trailhead is to the right of the fire department. It’s very well marked with a gate and signs.

recorded Eagle Rock via the PCT

Perfect weather for Saturday morning (10/12/19), 7.2 miles hike. We started at 7:15 and had the “Eagle” to ourselves for a good 20-30mins. We headed back about 9:20 and saw lots of people heading towards Eagle Rock. A very easy hike with lots of shade for about 2.5 miles then all exposed, no shade. I wouldn’t go here during summer months unless you start super early. We parked across the street at The Resource Center where they had clean public restrooms. . The trail starts at the gate marked “Livestock Area” to the right of the fire station.

The trailhead for Eagle Rock is not clearly marked. The sign actually says "livestock area" and you have to enter the gate to get to the trail. There is a dirt lot to the left of the fire station you can park in or you can park across the street at the resource center. The bathrooms at the resource center are for public use. Once on trail, there are signs along the way that say PCT and it's very obvious which direction you should be going. Eagle Rock itself is incredible! The hike has a pretty steady incline for some portions, but it's a well maintained trail. If you decide to hike this trail in the summer, it is advisable to wear a hat and sunscreen as the last mile or so is without shade. I would say the trickiest thing about this trail is finding the trailhead!

started the trail around 7am, as stated the beginning has some shade but once u reach the unshaded area, it continues on for the rest of the hike but definitely an amazing picture when u make it to the rock...u absolutely cant miss it

Gorgeous hike!!

great views early morning hike for there just In time for sunrise. great trail bring plenty of water and a shade umbrella if hiking in the summer time.

wonderful early morning hike... we were the only ones on the trail from start until finish. We started out at 630 am on a Sunday mind you it is Labor Day weekend and the high is supposed to reach 105.. Surprisingly it was a cool morning with a nice breeze which was nice because we wanted to beat the heat. No bug issue on the way to the rock but as the temperature rose so did the bugs make their appearance. Like others have stated in previous comments you are fully exposed the last mile to the rock. so wear sunscreen and stay hydrated.

Started at 7am at the trailhead and didn't see anyone on the trail until we were headed back. Relatively flat, beautiful flowers and scenery along the way.

Started the hike around 800 and while it was a bit hot, it was not killer. The only real issue with the hike are bugs which are annoying. Overall the hike is very beautiful and the rock formation at the end is a real nice sight to have

First 2 miles are a well covered gradual incline. Tons of flora and fauna to check out. After that it gets pretty exposed until the rock formation. cows are everywhere at this point so the trail gets a bit messy. Eagle Rock looks pretty amazing and definitely worth the hike! there does seem to be a way to drive there though. There is a road not far off the formation itself, but where is the fun in that. Heat and bugs are a serious nuisance on the trail. Enjoy!

Well marked trail, after you find the gate. Beginning of the trail was well shaded, but the middle was completely exposed...start early and bring enough water. We enjoyed the hike and the Eagle Rock formation was extremely cool!

Good shade at the start point. Moderate hike. Make sure you bring enough water for six miles.

Nice trail, easy to follow. Middle part is pretty sun exposed but the beginning and end are nicely shaded. Nice gradual inclines and the rock formation is really cool. Would definitely do this hike again.

Great hike, would consider it to be closer to the easy side. Well marked, great views, and the rock formation was super cool.

One of my favorites, moderate trail that is part of the PCT with the Eagle formation of rocks

6/15/2019 - Enter the trail to the right of the fire station, through a gate. Started hiking at 7:40am. By the time we reached the second half of the trail (the part that isn't shaded AT ALL), the sun was beaming and was pretty brutal. I would have enjoyed this hike a lot better if I did it earlier in the year, or during the fall season. I enjoyed the sound of the creek while hiking the first half of the trail. There is an abundance of wildlife - squirrels, rabbits, birds, wild turkey, dung beetles, the biggest red ants I've ever seen in my life, cows, snakes, bugs. We saw quite a bit of rattle snake marks in the sand, and actually encountered a dead baby rattle snake on the trail. It looked like a previous hiker may have killed it with a hiking stick. Nearly the entire hike, I could hear animals squirming in the brushes nearby. It was a little too close for comfort for me. With that being said, I couldn't enjoy the views as much as I wanted to because I was so focused on the dirt trail, making sure I won't step on any snakes or cow pies, or any other wild animal feces that are all along this trail! It's literally covered...you have to really watch your step! There was some incline to and from, but all pretty bearable. It felt more tiring in the blistering sun, though! When we finally had the Eagle Rock in sight, it still took a little while to actually get there because the trail was very windy. When we got to the rock, there were tons of lizards and iguanas. They all ran away when we approached the rock, though. The rock was such a sight to see!

Hiked on June 01. Parked in the community resource center lot. It’s free and even on a Saturday I had no problems parking. There are bathrooms in the back - Clean and well-stocked. It’s an easy hike and VERY well marked. The only tricky part is finding the trailhead.... It’s across the street, next to the fire station, on the side opposite of the free lot. There’s a gate that you need to open and latch behind you. The first half of the hike is shady. You follow the stream and there are beautiful trees. The second half is completely exposed, but the open views are stunning. Eagle rock didn’t disappoint. Saw a lot of cows. Great hike for kids!

There’s a resource center with plenty of free parking and public restrooms that were really well kept. The first mile and a half is pretty shaded and the stream is perfect for pups to grab a drink and stay cool along the way. Weather was perfect when we went - mid 70s and despite the sun when it wasn’t shaded, there was a nice breeze. We saw lots of livestock along the way, but nothing that bothered our pup at all.

Absolutely love this trail and Eagle Rock. Didn’t love the annoying party of 20 loud talkers taking up half the space at the base of the rock. Had to wait for them to move to get a photo. Go early to avoid too much heat on the way back.

The rock does not disappoint. Bring plenty of water as even on cool days the sun beats down hard. We will be back to do this again, well worth the hike.

Beautiful trail! I was happy to meet people hiking PCT! One day I will hike PCT to Canada, just I need to find a friend to hike with me.

Got there at 8am. Not too busy. Nice cool breeze. It was our first time there and the rock did not disappoint. Many very friendly people on the trail. I would do it again.

Beautiful out today. Great weather. Not too hot or cold. Nice breeze. No big uphill sections. The whole way is rolling hills. The Eagle Rock is definitely something to see for yourself. This is my first time though I’ve seen plenty of pictures.

Beautiful hike for early May. Not strenuous at all. Rock formation is impressive and worthy the effort, and so is the scenery along the way.

Great paved trail. I love this beautiful route to the eagle. Park by the Fire Station.

Gorgeous hike on an equestrian trail that is also part of the PCT. First half shaded under magnificent oak trees with a gently gurgling stream running along side. Second half full sun with sprawling spectacular views around every corner. The variety of wild flowers and wild grasses took my breath away. Many PCTers encountered as expected for this time of year - very inspiring! This is a great trail for families, trail runners, and hikers (novice and experienced). Make sure to pack water 1-2liters, a snack to enjoy at Eagle Rock, and wear a good sun hat and sun shirt for protection. Absolutely a 5-star trail (for late April/May) and I rarely offer 5.

Hiked this trail in April and what an absolute beauty of a hike! There was an abundance of wildflowers, lush trees and green and purple grass! A little busy on a Saturday but the trail is wide and well kept enough. Half of the trail is very exposed so bring plenty of water and sun protection. The Eagle rock is very pretty but please please people don’t leave your trash and your pets’ poop (in plastic bags) behind. Take responsibility to keep this place beautiful for everyone and leave no trace! :)

Eagle Rock is by far, one of the most spectacular hikes our county has to offer. The sun is unrelenting. There is only shade the first mile. This hike could go bad quickly, so prepare for sun, bring water, hats and sunscreen. Get to the trailhead early, and enjoy the day with inspiring thru-hikers and gorgeous changes in scenery. One of the many things I love about San Diego is our diverse landscape! You will encounter most of them on this portion of the Pacific Crest Trail. This hike needs to be done early in the day and early in the season. BRING WATER AND A HAT. I’m not kidding.. Dont let the pictures of the flatlands fool you, there are some steady inclines that along with heat, can tire you quickly if you are expecting a leisurely stroll. Good for kids used to distance. GPS will route you to private property approx 1/4 mile from the rock formation. Do not go there, your car will be towed and you will be trespassing. Park at the resource center in Warner Springs. Trail starts next to the fire station. As always, stay on the trail, pack out your trash and be a good steward by using trail etiquette. Leave your music at home unless using headphones.