Eagle Rock via the PCT

Eagle Rock via the PCT is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Warner Springs, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from LA Basin: (To reach the southern end of this segment of the PCT) Drive south on Interstate 15 to Highway 79 South (Temecula). Follow Hwy. 79 approximately 25 miles east, southeast through Oak Grove to the junction with the Chihuahua Valley Road. Follow the Chihuahua Valley Road east approximately 6 miles to a point where the paved road makes a 90 degree turn to the right. A dirt road continues on east at this point. Follow this road approximately 4 miles. The PCT crosses the road in a saddle located approximately 1 mile SSE of Combs Peak. Trailhead parking is along the road.

This was a great hike and was pretty easy overall. I think the key is to go when it is cool out. Had it been summer this would have been a very painful hike. Lots of landscapes and ending at eagle rock is awesome!

Definitely go right towards the fire station to get to the trail. Just FYI...

It’s a really flat and forgiving route with a lot of nice scenery. My buddies and I had a good time. Y’all should check it out!

Loved it!! But I would say it’s an easy hike rather than moderate.

Had an awesome time on this trail today- took us about 3 hours there and back... we stopped a few times for pictures and had a snack at Eagle Rock. Most beautiful in the morning hours!

Ratings are wrong this trail is not moderate It's fairly easy with superb views of the landscape.

Nice hike with large trees providing shade for most of the hike. Easy to follow trail marked with PCT signs. We parked across the street from the fire station and crossed the road to walk through the cattle gate. The hike was about 6.3 miles round trip and ~900 ft in elevation gain. The Eagle Rock formation was really cool. I would definitely recommend the trip! You can even get some Julian Pie on the way home:)

Cool PCT hike. Rock formation is awesome

Went dogless as I was unsure of wildlife and temps; saw birds, squirrels, and cows. All dogs we saw were leashed. I will definitely be back with my dogs!

Drove up to Warner Springs to do this hike. We've always wanted to see this place in person and it did not disappoint. Moderate hike and easy to follow.

Beautiful hike, some of the best landscapes of San Diego. Park on the side of the road across the street from the fire station, enter trail thru cattle gate on right side of fire station. Pretty accurate ~6.3mile round trip hike. Little less than 900ft elevation gain per my gps. Would love to go here again when I have more time, it is a bit of a drive but worth it. It’s so quiet out there and we loved that there were only a few others on the trail when we were. Took us just under 2.5hrs at a steady 20/Min mike pace + stopping at the rock for a few minutes. Seeing the rock formation, there’s nothing else like it. Perfect weather on January 1, probably 70 degrees, a little on the dry side.

What an awesome way to start 2018! My 4yo and dachshund both had fun and there were no complaints from either :). A nice, easy well taken care of trail.

Fun hike (first time). Started at 3pm on Christmas Day (2017), caught a nice sunset from the Eagle. We were in the dark with headlamps the last 1/4 of the way back, but saw a big Jackrabbit and 2 deer at sundown. Saw a few more in the dark with our lamps. Passed 3 groups of hikers total. just over 2 hour hike with some goofing off. Nice scenery...
Some trees, then brush, then fields.

Gorgeous Christmas hike. Warm, but not hot. only a few people on the trail. Was told there was a big crowd of people at Eagle Rock, but I got lucky and they all left just before I arrived. Ended up with the place to myself. Yippee!!!

Great day hike! Easy trail to follow, great parking at the community center.

The journey to the eagle is pretty straight forward and I agree that the scenery doesn't change dramatically - though its still a good easy/mild hike.

TRAIL HEAD:
so this was really confusing as there were 2 entrances on either side of the road. the CORRECT trail head is to the right of the fire station, not the one that has the PCT signpost. I apologize to the 3 ladies I gave wrong directions to. Oops. :(

Anyway, at the correct trail head, you'll pass through a pipe gate with a sign that say to close it behind you as livestock roam freely in the area. you'll pass through three of these gates and you should make sure you close the gates or else you'll be on television chasing around wild livestock.

The hike itself is very easy - barely any inclines or declines, HOWEVER, towards the later portion of the trail, there wont be any shade so depending on when you go, be cautious and bring enough water and wear your sunblock. I started the hike at 8AM and the temperature was a crisp 50 degrees F. But it felt like 70 degrees in the open area.

Once you reach the EAGLE, go ahead and mount it and fly over the remainder of the PCT. HA! Just kidding but wouldn't that be pretty cool? I named the eagle Daenarys after Daenarys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons.

Shorter hike than expected, and we found good weather aside from the Santa Ana winds this week. Really cool eagle rock, but not very many good views along the way. Try and explore more along PCT if you go!

Beautiful views! Enter the PCT across the road from the parking area and go through pipe gate (there will be three gates total). Lovely hike through open oak woodland habitat out to the plains and rolling hills. Super windy and exposed so bring lots of water.

The ‘incline’ at the beginning wasn’t really obvious — very gradual climb with lots of shade and pretty fall colors throughout. When you reach the open field just before the Eagle, expect no shade. Quite blistering even at 78 degrees. The rock is quite the sight and it was super fun to climb on top of for a photo op. Glorious hike with a brilliant change of landscape throughout.

Fun hike but I wouldn't drive 2 hours there to do again. Shade in the beginning hotter than hell once you hit the open field closer to the Eagle. Cool to see in person & climbing it was fun for a photo op. Came in about 6 1/4 miles round trip on my Apple Watch.