Ottoway Lakes Trail

Ottoway Lakes Trail is a 29.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Oakhurst, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September.

One of the most strenuous and challenging trips I’ve done but it was absolutely beautiful. This was my first backpacking trip (about 3 years ago) and i was thoroughly unprepared for the steep elevation gain but man, did it pay off. The trail did not have too much traffic, perhaps because of an impending thunderstorm. We got to have the whole lake to ourselves and it was truly an incredible experience. We planned on crossing red peak pass but the thunder rolled back in so deemed it unwise to traverse over the unprotected ridge and chose to spend an extra day at the lake and turn back.

TIPS:
BUG REPELLENT I wore lots and still got eaten alive
Beware of bears, as always, but we saw a momma and her cub, they had been hiding and peaked around the corner when we were already way too close for comfort.

Monday, July 25, 2016

We made it to Lower Ottoway in 8 hrs from the Quartz trail Head. It was a brutal trip but well worth the journey!!! The second day we day hiked to the top of Reds Peak Pass...(a must for anyone staying two nights). The third day we hiked out. 40 miles round trip in 3 days.
One of our best trips ever!!!

Sunday, August 02, 2015

It was such a beautiful trail! I went for a 2 day trip and it was the longest but best hike I've ever done in that amount of time. On this trial you'll see everything from mountains to forest to meadows. This trail throws in the kitchen sink as far as scenery goes. Both lower and upper Ottoway were absolutely gorgeous and felt so nice to swim in. I would advise to bring bug repellent because the trail does get buggy at times.