Otay Sweetwater Refuge Trail

Otay Sweetwater Refuge Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near La Mesa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

So after reading the reviews I decided to walk this trail for the first time today with my two large dogs. We walked a little over two miles out before we decided to walk back to the car. I would recommend wearing pants for this hike as sometimes the trails can be very narrow just enough for one person, and there's a lot of bushes and flowers rubbing against your legs as you walk through these narrow paths. When I reached the stream/creak we decided to walk over the bridge and make a left. We walked along the dirt car path. This is important to note because there were a few narrow trails leading different directions and the trails weren't labeled or maybe I just didn't see them. As i was walking along the trail I could see across the stream/creak other trails that mountain bike users were using, but I didn't see a spot where I could cross. I plan to hike this trail again and make it to the end and back next time.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Great trail, easy for families and dogs. Beware of snakes!

Saturday, April 02, 2016

The trail start was difficult to find but once we were on our way, it was great! There was a creek which we enjoyed crossing. We saw a horseback rider and met the friendliest, most informative mountain biker. Thanks to him, we ended up at the canopy for some welcomed shade and an amazing view of the reservoir. (See pics)

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Went out and back 5.2 miles Sunday morning. Nice easy hike with little elevation change. Go early to avoid mountain bikers, crowds and parking problems. Parking on the north side of the bridge at Singer road with the trail head to the south.

Sunday, December 06, 2015

Well I said I was going to update, tried it and it's a pleasant walk. the trails need to be kept up though. if more people would visit the park rangers would keep it up just like they are doing it at Borderfield park. this trail has a lot of potential it's a good walk. The trail head in this map does need to change though. the start point is at Campo road,and you should be able to see the steel bridge.

Wednesday, December 02, 2015

look for STEELE CANYON . It's by Campo rd off I94 east. the starting point in this one is all wrong. will update the review when I hike it. .I suggest you read Afoot and Afield is a book about trails in San Diego.

Monday, October 17, 2016