Otay Mountain Truck Trail

Otay Mountain Truck Trail is a 14.8 mile out and back trail located near Dulzura, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Drove this in my 4x4 F150. Excellent drive and the views are really nice

off road driving

It was easy! I got a 2wd tacoma and went in with no issue whatsoever! Now if you want to have fun, take your 4x4 and go on the side roads!

haven't had a chance to try the trail because it is closed for the fire season. im not too sure if they will open it back up. I see some comments that say it was all gravel.... they're mistaken and are talking about Otay mountain truck trail which i was able to do in a Prius. Otay truck trail (without the word "mountain") is the hard one.

off road driving

Wife found the spot. Turns out if Dallas G. didn't mention the brown gate, we wouldn't of found it. Noticed some spots people turn off to the side to set up firing spots (guns). Good to know! If it's your first time like ours, have the GPS record your path in case you're having too much fun and forgot if you made a left or right. I don't thinks it's possible to get lost but you never know. Respect the law. Respect our Border Patrol. Don't drink and drive and if you see a vehicle in need of help, don't hesitate to be a good person.

off road driving

The trail itself is great! There are some sketchy side trails that are pretty crazy so always when in doubt, get out of your car and walk the trail. As of today I was made aware the trail is closed, off roading is prohibited because it's fire season. Just looking out for my fellow off roaders! It is illegal now there.

off road driving

it was good, very narrow. flat packed dirt mostly but is up high on the side of the mountain at most spots no need for 4x4. goes off more side trails and you can definitely get lost for a while so bring a GPS or download offline Google maps of the area. I only saw 3 vehicles the few hours I was there. enter in at this address (13652 Otay Lakes Rd, Jamul, CA 91935) by the coyote canyon Cafe. Google map it and you will see the Otay truck trail.

Do not follow google maps to get to the trail. We entered thru the BROWN GATE next to pio pico campground and left thru Delzura. The trail was mellow and fun we broke off on a couple small side trails towards the delzura side to play around with more open space. We didnt need to use 4 wheel drive and the boarder patrol dont bother you just move outta there way.

off road driving

Signs say that motor vehicles are prohibited but it is still very popular. Border patrol also uses it. There are now gates and fences blocking off what were the more popular and challenging parts of the trail. It is now just an unpaved road, very easy in our Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. The scenery is magnificent and we really enjoyed the drive!

off road driving

Full disclosure- I did this trail 2 years ago while I was living in San Diego.

This is rated as difficult? I ran it twice in my then dead stock Wrangler JK, only the wheels and tires were upgraded, nothing else. The Jeep had no issues what so ever and I never needed to use 4WD. The trail itself is mostly gravel, the only issue was the trail head itself is somewhat easy to miss; its behind the general store with no signs pointing it out. There wasn't much to the trail itself, however the views of San Diego and Tijuana are cool and worth it. The antennas on top also make for interesting photography. I found this trail easy but it was fun. Also of note, this trail is used by the Border Patrol, but they'll leave you alone. I just pull over and let them pass. Great place to catch a sunset.

scenic driving

With all the rain we've had this year it doesn't even look like San Diego anymore!

Great views on a clear day.

off road driving

Off-road activity prohibited. 1/5. The winding gravel road reaches over 3000 ft above sea level. Good views.

off road driving

3 Stars for the beautiful views and stunning landscapes! The Road itself can be driven in a lowered Honda Civic... also they have very recently built huge steel rails blocking off all the fun 4x4 trails... womp womp womp! We Always have fun up there but don't go looking to engage 4 wheel drive anymore b/c it's only a unpaved scenic drive now.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Epic vistas. Loved it.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Difficult trail, not easy. It will be round trip about 15 miles depending upon where you start. There are shooting ranges everywhere, so you will hear gun shots. Pretty good cardio workout for sure, with great views.