Ossagon Trail

Ossagon Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Orick, California. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and mountain biking.

old growth

Redwood National and State Parks 1111 Second Street Crescent City, CA 95531 By Phone 707-465-7335 By Fax 707-464-1812

Nice little trail with some variety. Not just redwoods but a couple of different types of forests on the way down. Mostly just down close to the beach and back up. I went beyond the trail a little and played in the surf with my lab. It's not really steep but a fair climb back out. Water everywhere on the bottom to go through due to a very rainy winter. Made me appreciate my Altra shoes and Darn Tough socks. The shoes drain great and my feet stayed warm. I don't worry about keeping my feet dry anymore. Probably not a hike I'll repeat but because of the variety and the ocean tossed in worth doing...

Easy trail up a hill and down to the beach. But when I got near the beach, there was a big meadow and it was full of elk looking at me in a not too friendly way, so I turned around and went back. Not a lot to see on this trail

This trail is all downhill on the way out and then all uphill on the way back, so make sure you're prepared for that climb. The trail starts out wide and gets more narrow as you descend and you pass a creek and some misc water. Beautiful ferns and green the entire way until you get to the bottom. You'll make it to a small stream crossing and you should be able to just walk across some rocks and then you'll be at the Ossagon hike-in camp sites. From there you'll get to a meadow and like I did, think WTF, now what, as I traveled downhill determines to see the northern coast, but you'll see a few more trees and once you start heading towards them the dirt will turn into sand, and then suddenly you'll be on the beach; a practically untouched beach. We saw seals swimming right there pretty close to shore and enjoyed lunch sitting on some drift wood. From there, it's up to you where you can go- there's a trail to the cove, and the general coast. Go forth and explore; absolutely worth it.