Ortega Falls is a 0.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Elsinore, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and rock climbing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.3 miles Elevation Gain: 16 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Please note: it has been reported the parking lot for this trail is closed due to COVID-19, but road turnout parking may be available. Please research prior to your visit. Note: This trail requires rock climbing and scrambling.

3 minutes ago

Loved the trail and climbing over the rocks. Hated the trash and graffiti

Went on Tuesday at around 11am and it was pretty empty. The hike was a little difficult for me and my friend, we climbed over the rocks to get to the waterfall and even with athletic shoes the rocks were slippery. The waterfalls at the end were worth it though and kept us motivated

TOO MANY PEOPLE!! We arrived at 9:45 and were out and back by 10:15. Nice, short trail over some big rocks and narrow sandy trails. Lots of families and crowds. Most smaller kids needed help over the big rocks and up or down steep sandy trails. Pretty waterfall at the end, but the parking along the highway was packed with people and so were the many trails leading to the stream and waterfall.

Short but steep. We took our 11, 10 and 8 year old’s. We climbed up the rocks to the top. Great place to hang out and picnic.

Short trail leading to a nice small waterfall. Plenty of shade after sunset. We found some graffiti and litter around, but otherwise it was enjoyable to sit in the pond where the waterfall ends. Lots of mosquitoes in the water. Very rocky and steep.

Make sure you go earlier in the day, there were a lot of people there mid afternoon. The waterfall was pretty but unfortunately too many people were littering and hanging out on the rocks drinking/blocking the walkways. It’s unfortunate when people don’t clean up their trash, especially in a national park.

We got there around 10ish AM, perfect weather today. Short easy hike but a lot of boulders to climb over. We missed the huge waterfall because we kept going down. The way back up I realize we should of kept following the stream up for about 5 minutes and found the big water fall with all the graffiti. Still beautiful. Kid friendly and beginners friendly.

This was a great hike for my sister and I beginning our hiking adventures. We were scoping it out to see if was kid friendly as I had read… very glad I did bc in my opinion it's not good for little ones and I would not recommend baby wearing as it does get pretty steep. Maybe if you're very experienced in your carrier. But even still my 2.5 year old would have gotten hurt once at the falls bc it is rocky. The falls and streams were beautiful and relaxing. The worst part was the graffiti and litter

Fun little treck to a beautiful fall!!!

Easier down, difficult going back up.

Great short little hike although it was very crowded on a Sunday when we went. Both shoulders along Ortega Hwy were full of cars. Go early and on a weekday to avoid crowds.

Great short hike, lots of shades. Plenty of parking. Beautiful waterfalls.

It was worth the trip. It is not labled. Great scenery and good hike.

Good short trail with beautiful waterfall at end. If you want more mini waterfalls, go left at the main one until you see the waterfalls, it should be less than .1 miles.

A nice waterfall hike, but very narrow trail to hike with toddlers.

This was an awesome short and easy hike. Within five minutes we saw several different waterfalls, small bodies of water and lots of shade, to hide from the hot sun. We were rock climbing if you are going to rock climb have proper shoes it’s a bit slippery. And we brought our four legged friend.