Ontario Peak and Bighorn Peak Loop is a 14 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mount Baldy, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length14.0 miElevation gain4,317 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashBackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsBird watchingRunningForestLakeRiverViewsWildflowersWildlifeMuddyRockySnowHistoric site
Description
Waypoints (5)

Day/overnight permits are now required for Cucamonga, San Gorgonio and San Jacinto wildernesses. For more information, see the park page here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/sbnf/alerts-notices This is a beautiful hike and the views from the Peak rival those from Cucamonga. You get rock trails, scree trails, woodsy trails, pine needle trails, acorn trails and so on. The trail hugs the mountainside all the way down to Cedar Canyon camp site and you lose relatively little elevation.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (61)
Photos (5,388)
Activities (50)
Completed (567)
Cesar Barragan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 21, 2021
View Cesar's activity
Soheila Messi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 8, 2021
HikingIcyMuddyRockySnow

much of the snow on Baldy has melted, but Ice House doesn't disappoint as you ascend. gorgeous views all around. We started out later than expected. Your poles and ice cleats are a must. This trail kicks your butt and i love every minute of it. Next week we will come back in the morning to complete the entire trail to Cucamonga Wilderness

View Soheila's activity
Christopher Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 24, 2021
HikingGreat!MuddyRockySnow

This was a really epic trail with a lot of terrain variety. It was snowing the whole time, but the trail was still clear for the first two miles of Icehouse Canyon and we saw a lot of people. From the saddle, the snow got a lot deeper, and heading up to Kelly Camp was a little treacherous because the trail was so narrow and the incline so steep. Hiking to Ontario Peak from there was extremely challenging as the snow was up to 18”, the trail was hard to follow, and the wind chill put the temperature below 10 F. I would do this in the winter again, but probably not in the middle of a powder day. Also, we would bring poles and spikes as we were often sliding off the trail. The descent was not as much of a relief as we expected because you had to be so cautious and we were constantly catching ourselves. Once we got back into the canyon, we decided (just barely) to take the part of the loop up on the ridge, and we’re glad we did. It is the most beautiful part of the hike with breathtaking views, vibrant plant life (even buried in snow), and dramatic drop offs. Plus, it was way easier on the knees than the lower trail. We are fairly athletic and experienced hikers, but taking on this hike with a lot of snow on the ground was a beast we’d never encountered. We exceeded our time estimate by almost two hours, finishing in about 8 hours, just as the sun was setting, and we skipped Bighorn Peak. A lot of salty guys in thousands of dollars of equipment tried to talk us out of summiting, and it was definitely hard, but far from impossible. We never felt unsafe. Just make sure you download your maps before heading out if you’re doing it in the snow, because you’ll want to check them every 15 minutes to make sure you’re on/near the path.

Michael Delgado
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 16, 2021

Kelly’s camp and Ontario peak

View Michael's activity
Vero Pleitez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 6, 2020
Hiking

Great run/hike to Cucamonga peak then we took it up to bighorn and finally Ontario peak! Lot of ice on those trails definitely bring ice cleats, you will need it near the summits specially on your way down.

View Vero's activity
Janice Spex
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 25, 2020
Hiking

cold as f! if you are NOT used to the chill then bundle up and keep moving! the minute you think your too "hot", the mountain reminds you who's boss! Wear SPIKES! ALL the peaks have some kind snow around 2-3miles prior to reaching the peaks. Ice is no joke, hence the long hours on the trail (plus I was sore from 20mile hike I did the day before and I WANTED to take it slow). I fell at least 5x on the way down. fml. Other than that the trail is well kept, you can find your way with or without GPS assistance (for now, unless it snows more). I didnt beat the sundown, but @least made it out of the snow and back to the icehouse saddle before complete darkness. I couldnt find my headlamps! had to use my phone light from the saddle to the parking lot. THAT was tough for my body n mind. Last time I was here I came dangerously close to a young bear! So, trekking out of the same area in the dark was NUTS! I made it though, walked away with a few battle scars though... Its true, even if it makes your pack heavy, PREPARE FOR ANYTHING. It was beautiful up there but hazy. I liked the view from cucamunga better, but maybe that was just the weather. 360 view and amazing nonetheless. I LOVE this bleeping Forest.

View Janice's activity
Franky Rios

Oct 30th 2020 solo backpacking trip. my first with a 33lb pack. hiking the trails past last river crossing it was a brutal zigzag straight uphill climb especially with a 33lb backpack for 3 days and 2 nights. got dark camped at Saddle made filet mignon skewers for dinner. severe leg cramps! stray dog came to camp I fed him. he drank 1/2 my water. earlier he was no leash with owner. ran off in the night. In morning had breakfast then hike to Kelly's camp, set up tarp tent, eat and rest and explore. Sunday morning hike Ontario peak beautiful views! got late on return using headlamp dangerous hike downhill tripping on rocks. made it safe to car in 5.2 hrs. people I met are very friendly even gave me water at camp site.

Carol Holiday
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 15, 2020
Hiking

first time hiking in snow. awesome. some snow/ice patches melting so be careful. fell 4 times on my bum already, but luckily on snow.

View Carol's activity
Frankie Evo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 6, 2020
View Frankie's activity
Mimette Baasen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 5, 2020

Awesome trails!!!!

View Mimette's activity
Rak Din
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2020
Hiking

Awesome hike and very solitary on weekdays. I started at 5 AM to beat the expected heat. My favorite constellation Orion was centered between the mountains over the main Icehouse Canyon Trail, so the the morning started fun even in darkness. A half dozen small critters were checking me out with eyes illuminated from my headlamp like little Jawas. No worries as long as their eyes were only inches apart. Anything wider would mean a mountain lion or other larger predator. There was enough ambient light by the time I reached Icehouse Saddle. I had Ontario Peak to myself for a snack and pics. I then checked out Big Horn Peak. Nice views from both although hazy in the valley. I took the Chapman Trail option on the descent which keeps the high ground. I recommend poles and good footwear on Chapman because many areas are loose rocks on slopes and any slip may send you sliding down the slope, not ideal especially when Chapman is not traveled as well as the main Icehouse Canyon Trail.

View Rak's activity
Jorge Ramirez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 22, 2020
View Jorge's activity
Wuhikes .com
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
HikingRockyWashed out

Epic!!!

View Wuhikes's activity
David Garcia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 1, 2019

Did this trail yesterday, after doing Cucamonga peak and Mt. Baldy I knew I had to bag Ontario peak. Ontario peak was harder than Cucamonga peak it was longer, hotter and with no shade once you pass the nice forest of Kelly camp. Then going to Bighorn peak adds more than a mile more in the heat. It was nice at the peak, every mountain and peak has it's own story and views. Ontario Peak is right above Sunset peak looking down and if you look north it faces straight across Mt. Baldy. The peak itself is a small area to walk in, I'm glad we were the only ones there cause it would get crowded easy the views are mostly from the valley below and if you look west you can see the entire Azusa Canyon area. Really nice views every peak has diffrent views to offer, Bighorn is just right of Cucamonga peak and offers views of the valley and the high desert to the east. Overall it was another great adventure just kinda hot for my doggo. My little dog can outhike me everyday of the week but the heat starts to take it's toll on him faster than me so I'm glad we we're able to bag all these peaks before summer!

Jose Jose Sandoval
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 15, 2018
Hiking

It was a very beautiful day with some rain I really recommend to do at least one hike under the rain is an amazing experience it was my first time and I really like it there were not to many people and it was not cold except when you reach the top is very windy but other than that is a very nice hike last week I did the Cucamonga peak and it was also very good trail in two weekends I experienced two complete different weather I recommend both of them my advice is start no later than 6 am so that way you can have a good day.

Lynda Thompson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 27, 2018

We recorded over 16 miles for this route. Ontario Peak view is wonderful. There are a far amount of felled trees to climb over, but not an issue for experienced hikers. Bighorn was “one and done” for us. There is a lot of shale and crossed switchbacks made path hard to find at times. Chapman trail on the way back is not for those with fear of heights, but it’s a nice alternative to lower trail. Be aware it is very exposed, very sunny so if you want shade opt for lower trail.

Brian Tanksley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 23, 2018

Kelly’s campground is gorgeous, 1 mile past saddle. Bring a hammock

View Brian's activity
Lawrence Scott
Hiking

I decided to summit Ontario Peak and Bighorn Peak!

View Lawrence's activity
Winona Britt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 17, 2018
Bryan T
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 5, 2018

Comment on descending the Chapman trail: it was longer, narrower (above the camp site), at times washed out and a little sketchy, and with steeper sections than the main icehouse trail. Chapman was nicest below the camp site located about half a mile from its origin from icehouse. Was it worth less crowds? I was hot, tired, and the sharp rocky sections hurt my feet, so no for me.

Megan Kik
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2018

I second what J P said about the bees! I highly recommend long pants or at least a jacket to cover up with when walking through the very narrow stretches of trail with manzanita bushes on both sides swarming with bees. I’m glad I had a windbreaker to use as a shield. If not from the bees, at least from the very thorny bushes that will be rubbing all over your legs. Bring plenty of water. It’s plenty exposed and very hot in the sun.

J P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2018
Hiking

Hiked to Ontario Peak on July 24th. Beautiful hike and I had the summit all to myself. It’s a miracle that I wasn’t stung by any bees! There are a lot of flowering bushes that you have to squeeze by on this hike and they were all buzzing with bees. Hm... I’m either lucky or the bees just aren’t aggressive or easily threatened. The gnats were annoying at times too. My bug spray didn’t seem to keep them from buzzing right in my face and ears. All in all, I’d do this hike again. I liked it more than Wilson and cucamonga. Views from the ridge line are stellar.

Chien-Chang Chen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 23, 2018
Hiking

Shortest way to stop by big horn peak, Ontario peak and timber mountain

View Chien-Chang 's activity