Onion Valley Campground to Flower Lake

Onion Valley Campground to Flower Lake is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Independence, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and fishing and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from : Take Highway 395 to Independence, CA. Turn west on Market Street and follow the road 13 miles. Road ends at Onion Valley Campground.

Hiked this trail on 7/3/17, the road was closed about a 1/4mi before the campground but there was plenty of parking on the side of the road. The trail was very nice with incredible views of the valley, a few waterfalls, & three lakes on the way to Flower.

Great trip

Great trails and amazing views. Snow made the higher lakes difficult to get to but this year there was a massive amount of snow. All around A++ would recommend.

Great first time hike. I'm hooked!

Friday, August 12, 2016

Monday, November 09, 2015

Beautiful hike - took my boys (under ten) for an overnighter. Hiked up to horseshoe and Gilbert lake and camped there. So much snow, but it was great once the sun came out.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Monday, August 03, 2015

Gilbert Lake was stunning.

Monday, May 11, 2015

Easy hike coming from Onion Valley Campground. Would suggest to check out K-Pass too!

Monday, May 11, 2015

Amazing place to camp and hike. Beautiful lakes and the campsites are clean and the host is wonderful!

Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Great trail, beautiful views, pretty remote - we only saw 2 people and there were only 2 other cars in the parking lot. The elevation gain was mild and the switch backs are large and not to steep. There lots of picturesque lakes to stop at, some were frozen over today. We went on the last day of March and we were blocked from getting to Heart lake by snow (if we had better gear we could have made it but we weren't prepared to trek through 2ft of snow) We saw lots of little animals, birds and chipmunks, and on the way up we saw a deer hanging out in the road.

Thursday, January 01, 2015

Tuesday, January 08, 2013

This was my first camping/hiking experience after moving to California. I must say it was an amazing one! I only camped out for a couple of days but definitely got my fill. About 100 yards from the campsite is a small ice cold stream, which is good for soaking your feet after a long day of hiking.
The trails werent too difficult. Non-experienced hikers need not to worry. It's mostly switchbacks all the way up. There are a few small lakes to enjoy once you reach the first clearing. After that you will have to muster up some strenght to get to the next lake (which i believe is called heart lake). The rest of the trails up are pretty steep but the views from the top make all of your hard work totally worth it!
I hope i can make it back one of these days..