Olmstead Loop Trail

Olmstead Loop Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cool, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It's a pretty nice trail! Did the full loop this morning. Took me 4 hours to hike the whole thing. It was pretty muddy. The trail seemed like a small creek at some parts! Be prepared to bring some good hiking shoes for this! The trail is marked out fairly well. A few of the mile markers are scratched off though. There was maybe two times thy I had to take a minute to figure out where I was going but it was fairly easy to figure out. Views are decent, nothing too crazy. But overall, a solid hike! Just wish it wasn't so muddy.

Different from most trails I've hiked, but I enjoyed it. Did the entire trail and loved the views.

Great hike...lots of different options...very beautiful views

Beautiful! Did this hike in February when it hadn’t rained in a while, great trail conditions with only a few muddy places here and there. There’s a few cutoffs also if you want to make the loop shorter. Can’t wait to go do this loop again!

Came on a January afternoon several days after a rain. Some sections of the trail were muddy but passable. Good thing we brought a change of shoes and socks. Some of the creeks were also swollen. Crossing them was a challenge. Bring $10 for the Iron Ranger if you don't have a park pass. Saw several horses on the trail. Watch out for their droppings. Lots of trail options. Not many people on the trail. They were all in the canyon chasing waterfalls. I used the AllTrails app to find our way since many of the signs are worn. Ultimately we started south on Olmstead Loop and then used some of the interior trails create a 3 mile loop. Two port-a-potties in hiking parking area and 2 vault toilets in the horse staging area. We'll be back to do more exploring. Must be beautiful in the Spring.

The trail is not well marked, and the routes saved by others on the app don’t look right to me. I’d highly recommend stopping at one of the state ranger stations for a map of the Auburn SRA so that you have something to follow. Bring $10 for the self-pay parking - the rangers check the lot frequently and according to one I spoke to, they write a lot of tickets.

Great easy trail, with limited markings. Crosses a few different trail paths. But overall a nice light 8 mike trek!

Bring a crisp 10 dollar bill and if you bring a hiking buddy, they must be comfortable encountering horses.

The horse riders were so kind and the park ranger was helpful. The trail was clean and the views were phenomenal. My only disappointment was the signs wet faded and it was really hard for me to figure out which trail to take when I met a fork in the road. It was beautiful!

DO NOT MOUNTAIN BIKE HERE, unless you’re a professional and have a helmet. This trail is best for horseback riding or people looking for a long hike with all sorts of terrain. The trail is very rocky and easy to get lost on so be sure to have a map to follow. Scenery is beautiful though :)

$10 to park. Unless you park down the road. Good trail with rolling hills that is smooth for the most part. A few rocky sections and a steep part that goes down to the creek. I got about half way through the loop and there were no more signs. I just kept to the right (did trail clock-wise) and wound up back at the trail head. One deep creek section.

With the ticks so bad this year, we are back to the road and off the trails for a while. The road is filled with lovely views of the Sierras, Folsom lake, and downtown Sac. A nice morning walk for us and the dog.

it was a smooth trail not many rocks but not really an exciting horseback ride. a lot of sun and not a lot of tree shade

It was fun, moderately easy, pretty scenery. We did some modifications to keep it to 5 miles and it was a great morning adventure.

Long flat trail. Other than getting your miles in on higher ground, there are better scenic options in the area.

awesome!

Prepare to get dirty, it was pretty muddy throughout the whole hike. Knickerbocker Creek at around the halfway point had a good flow of water so we took our shoes off to cross. The trail shown on this website is not the actual trail. There is a map of the trail when you get here. I strongly suggest thinking pictures of the trail map for reference. My GPS tracked me at around 10 miles from start to finish. *Caution: Watch out for Rattlesnakes!*

Monday, April 10, 2017

We hiked about 30 minutes in and the trail was washed out by creek. Had to turn around. Beautiful area.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Great spring hike

Monday, March 13, 2017

It was pretty difficult for me to follow the trail as the markings weren't very clear and I'm not an experienced hiker (I would have been in trouble if it weren't for the GPS on here). I ended up going a slightly different route than what's mapped out here, which, I learned, isn't the actual Olmstead Loop trail. The hills weren't that bad and I'm not super fit or anything. The trail is incredibly muddy and watery at the moment.. I only fell once(: plenty of horses, bikers, and dogs. Also, be sure to bring sun protection as the beginning and end of the trail aren't shaded.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

fun trail. trail head isn't marked. it is located off to the left of where the horses are off loaded. crazy muddy right now but can see this being a great hike when you can navigate the streams. saw a midsized cat about a hundred yards out down in a canyon area. would say it was maybe a bob cat? not sure not did I feel like making friends with out an weapon. not sure my hiking poles would have helped.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Very muddy. Hills. Would be easy to get lost.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

good trail, don't trust the signs though. most the trails are not marked. first two miles a little too close to civilisation but after that it was an amazing how. be prepared to get wet, all the bridges were washed away when I went, nothing more then calf deep. all in all good hike.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

It was harder than I thought with a baby on my back. We took the loop backwards, I think it made it easier to keep on the trail. Felt like walking through someone's field in the end, not very scenic. In the middle it was beautiful.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

had a nice hike, but don't trust all the signs. it's easy to lose the trail. we ended up on a combination of trails. trail does not offer much shade, but is a nice hike with some hills to make you work.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Did a 6.5 mile hike yesterday. Primarily flat with dry grasslands and oak trees. Many different splintering paths to adjust the length of hike... Hikers share area with bikers and horses. Be ready for horse scat. I would recommend full length hiking pants. Lots of thorny grass in some parts along narrow paths. Overall, a good experience.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The actual Olmstead Loop trail is in the photos above taken from a trail guide book. The outline on this map is not the actual Olmstead Trail. Went this morning and it got HOT. Took 2.5 L of H2O. Trail is adequately marked if you take the actual Olmstead Loop. Nice hike, great workout.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

I might have given it 5 stars if we made wildflower season or saw one of the lakes