Olmstead Loop Trail

Olmstead Loop Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cool, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It was pretty difficult for me to follow the trail as the markings weren't very clear and I'm not an experienced hiker (I would have been in trouble if it weren't for the GPS on here). I ended up going a slightly different route than what's mapped out here, which, I learned, isn't the actual Olmstead Loop trail. The hills weren't that bad and I'm not super fit or anything. The trail is incredibly muddy and watery at the moment.. I only fell once(: plenty of horses, bikers, and dogs. Also, be sure to bring sun protection as the beginning and end of the trail aren't shaded.

fun trail. trail head isn't marked. it is located off to the left of where the horses are off loaded. crazy muddy right now but can see this being a great hike when you can navigate the streams. saw a midsized cat about a hundred yards out down in a canyon area. would say it was maybe a bob cat? not sure not did I feel like making friends with out an weapon. not sure my hiking poles would have helped.

Very muddy. Hills. Would be easy to get lost.

good trail, don't trust the signs though. most the trails are not marked. first two miles a little too close to civilisation but after that it was an amazing how. be prepared to get wet, all the bridges were washed away when I went, nothing more then calf deep. all in all good hike.

It was harder than I thought with a baby on my back. We took the loop backwards, I think it made it easier to keep on the trail. Felt like walking through someone's field in the end, not very scenic. In the middle it was beautiful.

had a nice hike, but don't trust all the signs. it's easy to lose the trail. we ended up on a combination of trails. trail does not offer much shade, but is a nice hike with some hills to make you work.

Did a 6.5 mile hike yesterday. Primarily flat with dry grasslands and oak trees. Many different splintering paths to adjust the length of hike... Hikers share area with bikers and horses. Be ready for horse scat. I would recommend full length hiking pants. Lots of thorny grass in some parts along narrow paths. Overall, a good experience.

The actual Olmstead Loop trail is in the photos above taken from a trail guide book. The outline on this map is not the actual Olmstead Trail. Went this morning and it got HOT. Took 2.5 L of H2O. Trail is adequately marked if you take the actual Olmstead Loop. Nice hike, great workout.

I might have given it 5 stars if we made wildflower season or saw one of the lakes

A good workout. Glad I had this app to keep me from getting lost.