Olmstead Loop Trail

Olmstead Loop Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cool, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

With the ticks so bad this year, we are back to the road and off the trails for a while. The road is filled with lovely views of the Sierras, Folsom lake, and downtown Sac. A nice morning walk for us and the dog.

it was a smooth trail not many rocks but not really an exciting horseback ride. a lot of sun and not a lot of tree shade

It was fun, moderately easy, pretty scenery. We did some modifications to keep it to 5 miles and it was a great morning adventure.

Long flat trail. Other than getting your miles in on higher ground, there are better scenic options in the area.

awesome!

Prepare to get dirty, it was pretty muddy throughout the whole hike. Knickerbocker Creek at around the halfway point had a good flow of water so we took our shoes off to cross. The trail shown on this website is not the actual trail. There is a map of the trail when you get here. I strongly suggest thinking pictures of the trail map for reference. My GPS tracked me at around 10 miles from start to finish. *Caution: Watch out for Rattlesnakes!*

We hiked about 30 minutes in and the trail was washed out by creek. Had to turn around. Beautiful area.

Great spring hike

It was pretty difficult for me to follow the trail as the markings weren't very clear and I'm not an experienced hiker (I would have been in trouble if it weren't for the GPS on here). I ended up going a slightly different route than what's mapped out here, which, I learned, isn't the actual Olmstead Loop trail. The hills weren't that bad and I'm not super fit or anything. The trail is incredibly muddy and watery at the moment.. I only fell once(: plenty of horses, bikers, and dogs. Also, be sure to bring sun protection as the beginning and end of the trail aren't shaded.