Ollason Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salinas, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,303 feet Route Type: Loop

Parked at the Quail Meadow lot and followed Ollason Trail which leads to Ollason Peak and down to Toyon Ridge ( which puts you right back at the lot). This perfect loop takes you through forested canyons, open meadows, rolling hills blooming with flowers and offers beautiful valley views. Great combo of flat, uphill and down hill. Most of it will be in the sun. Perfect bench for a lunch with views at the peak.

Simas Peak! We did a variation of this hike which including reaching our goal of Simas Peak, the highest point in Toro Park. We started up Barlow Canyon, to Toyon Ridge, to Eagle Peak (picnic table, 1607') to Ollason Peak (picnic table, 1800'), to Valley View Lookout (2030' and where the map on this webpage ends). We then extended about 1.5 miles to Simas Peak (2245'). I added a photo that is a satellite view of that extension. I'd estimate we climbed 3,500' in total due to all the ups and downs. We had a lovely cool overcast day for this strenuous hike. Parts of this trail were very steep and rutted, and I was thankful to have hiking poles. We then returned back to Ollason Peak and down the Ollason Trail which is much less steep. I'd estimate our total distance to be about 14 miles. I don't think I'll do this hike again (too hard, at least for me!), but I'm happy I achieved my goal of Simas Peak. I'll definitely return to Ollason Peak and plan to explore more of the different trails in this park. We saw spectacular views from Monterey to the Santa Cruz Mountains to the Salinas Valley and lots of wildflowers on this hike.

05/19/20: Surpassed expectations. New favorite hike in Monterey (and my first time in Toro Park)! This route carries you over Eagle Peak and Ollason Peak. The final destination is the intersection of several trails just past Valley View Lookout. Conditions: There were relatively few people on a weekday during shelter-in-place order. Perfect workout. Very windy. Variety of terrain from broad grassy hills to tree-enclosed tunnels; gorgeous 360-degree view ranging from Marina to Salinas to Moss Landing to the Monterey Peninsula. Rehike value: VERY high. There were lots of tantalizing side-trails I will definitely be back to explore, not to mention I'm eager to see the trail in post-rain, overcast or springtime conditions.

Harpers canyon Rough one

Beautiful summit view! I have lived in the area for a long time and never hiked this trail. The stunning 360 degree view of Monterey and Salinas valley was well worth the elevation climb

Awesome trail. Bring water and snacks unless you are able to run full distance. Exposed to sun back 2/3 of run.

Well I have to say, the first half of my ride was tough. I don’t suggest the trail to a beginner, VERY steep climbs. I thought to myself “there is gonna be a reason this climb sucks”. Well I can assure you once I got to the peak, the downhill section was definitely awesome. Well worth the climb. If you’re not an experienced rider I wouldn’t recommend hitting this trail, but it sure is a lot of fun bombing down from the peak

Fri Mar 30 2018

First timer here so took some side trips. Great trail. A lot of vertical on the east side trail, and your rewarded with great views early on. Made it a loop clockwise and much more gradual decent on the west side.

Sat Mar 17 2018

killer views.

Sat Jan 20 2018

This is a "Hard" trail, not moderate. Love the view of the valley from the peak. Great calf workout from the climbs. Shoes with good traction a must. Walking sticks will also help. Watch out for mtn bikes when they are zooming downhill, coyote and cow poop. Bring 4 bottles of water during summer, 2 bottles during winter. Picnic table at peak for a great lunch with a view.

Mon Jul 03 2017

Great loop trail - gradual incline up Olson's or steep approach from the east /toyon trail Good views from the peak

Sat Dec 10 2016

This is the toughest hike in the park in regards to altitude gain. Excellent views from the peaks, particularly Mt Simas. Quite steep, slippery, and exposed for the last stretch up Simas. Expect close encounters with cattle on Ollason peak. Excellent wildflower blooms throughout in spring.

Wed Nov 23 2016

Beautiful panoramic views of the Salinas Valley. Good hike year round.

Thu Sep 24 2015

Amazing views! Just bring lots of water and go early before the sun gets too hot.