Old Zoo Trail

Old Zoo Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from August until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This an 8.26 mike hike, not a 7 mike hike. It also gets confusing when you get to the zoo area because you have to cross the parking lot and the grassy lawn to get the the crosswalk in order to get to the other part of the hike, which is where most of the horses go. We loved the first part but once you follow the side of the road then behind the Autry, it get boring.

First off, the address on this app is wrong and took you to a train stop 8 min away. Just type in “old zoo” info your phone.

This place is lowkey ratchet. I walked past it and didn't even realize, got lost trying to go up the upper zoo trail and found my way back. Even regulars say that they still get messed up trying to remember where it is, even though it's literally right next to the parking lot.

I thought it would have super cool graffiti, as I am a big fan of street art, but this was just poor quality vandalism. I thought it was a slap in the face to see that people had tagged the trees, rocks, and the signs that could point you in the right direction/tell you about the history of the zoo.

The old zoo itself was super dilapidated in a not cool way (can you say old ANIMAL PRISON). It also smelled terrible and I even saw a bottle of piss. Then there were these hoodlums blasting metal in the picnic area and hidden in pockets on the hills smoking weed and drinking beers, which they probably littered. I would probably come here if I was a goth kid in middle school trying to find a place outside my parents house to drink keystone ice and smoke cigs. Also, there's coyotes roaming around so that was also sketch.

TLDR: you will leave this place wanting to make sure you put on hand sanitizer and wanting to dart out promptly before dusk. And the hike itself was underwhelming.

Way too many horses and the trail is covered in horse $hit.

This was good. Started at train town walked towards highway. The back half after the old zoo is not flat. It gets hilly!

Long one but a good one. Old zoo ruins everywhere. Many movies have been filmed here. Free parking. The benches at the park are a plus.

No incline, dont see how this is moderate.

Fun and creepy! Great for kids!

I posted 3 pics of a mountain. It has caves. I've found several secret trail to get up there but idk if there's mountain lions or coyotes. Has anyone been up there ? Does anyone know the name? Please send feedback thanks

Lots of creepy old abandoned cages and confines to see. The stairs leading up to Amir's Garden is a great way to get in a quick cardio workout.

Ugh. Started from travel town and hiked along the trail next to the road through Griffith. Was fine for a while. Then you are dumped out in parking lot mess and tons of people. The last half of the hike you are hiking down the stupid horse trail not 5 feet away from the roaring freeway. Don't do the loop. Go back through the park and stay away from the freeway, unless you like breathing gas fumes. The zoo is cool is a depressing graffiti way. Why do I still live in this city?

It's ok.. old zoo cages.. kind of depressing.

Very interesting hike! Good workout!

Friday, February 17, 2017

Got pretty lost. But that's because I suck at directions! Pretty Erie but dope

Monday, February 06, 2017

Very easy and fun for kids to walk. We only walked one side, which was about 1 mile and 1/2. And we bumped into many friendly people, which was a plus.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Perfect Hike for Newbies

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Fantastic

Sunday, September 11, 2016

The old zoo was fantastic ! We had a surprise in one of our pictures around 9 pm.... A face appeared in a picture that we took!! Also up above the enclosures there is a lone cage... Something bad must have happened there because just in that area... The temperature dropped and the hairs on my neck and arms were on edge... I also had the sensation of spider webs brushing across my face... There was no trees in that area for spider webs... I've often heard that spider web sensation with out actual spider webs are usually an indication that there is a spirit around you or touching you.... That was the grand finally after being stalked in the mountains buy what sounded to me Like a big cat... The growls were very prominent.

Friday, September 02, 2016

The trail can be as long or as short as you want it to be, as easy or strenuous as you want it to be. However, the pay off is high. I have been on so many trails, and this one is definitely in the top three. The animal cages would not be the same, or near is neat, if it didn't have all of the graffiti. Great place to take pictures; minus the smell.

Monday, August 29, 2016

This is a fairly easy hike. It does not have much of an incline and what incline there is, is quite gradual. We parked over in the parking lot by the carousel and the golf clubhouse. There is a trailhead that starts there and takes you to the park where the old zoo is located. From there you can continue on the trail. We stopped taking this trail and head up to bee point. It looked more interesting then the rest of the old zoo trail. The old zoo itself is quite small and has been turned into a park. This hike would be a good hike for children. There is an actual park with grass for them to run around on. Also, they can explore some of the old exhibits. Bee point was pretty cool. Worth the trek up. The trail was a bit steep at points. Heading up to bee point, I would say is a moderate level hike for most casual hikers. It was overcast so the views were so so. But on a clear day, it would offer some excellent views of the valley. Happy trekking!