Old Homestead Loop Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Antioch, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 764 feet Route Type: Loop

ohv/off road driving

Wasn’t as scenic as I thought, but worth it if you’re in the neighborhood!

Beautiful trail and not too steep, just don't make the mistake of going after heavy rain like I did! It's shady at the beginning so it gets very muddy very easily.

When it's green, it's such a beautiful hike if you like the empty, sparse tree with rolling Big hills type of terrain. The trail is really rough in areas, pitted with deep holes from the cows which makes slow going on large stretches of the trail and it's much more difficult if there has been a recent rain - I recommend doing this after a dry a spell. We do this loop about once a year. I swore I wouldn't after the first time because of the trail conditions, but if it's not muddy, I enjoy the hike - it really is a lovely area, and the cows are pretty cool. Since the cows roam free along the trails and use the water pools, caution must be used with dogs around the cows, and I would keep them out of the pools of water.

Rookie mistake, hiking the day after a rainy day. It was extremely muddy which made it almost impossible to walk in.. the cow prints made it incredibly difficult and now I’m really sore. My dog needs a bath

Sat Feb 23 2019

This is a cattle ranch not a park preserve. Cattle have made almost the entire trail filled with ankle busting holes.

Sat Nov 03 2018

loved it so peaceful

Sun May 20 2018

I wanted to test out my new pack and poles. Nice day for a quick hike. I saw a young rattlesnake and a baby sunning themselves. A few raptors and a coyote in the distance. No cows, but plenty of evidence. Nice views, but think this trail would be prettier when everything is green.

Sun Mar 25 2018

This was a nice hike and if I lived in the area I'd do it often, but it wasn't worth the 45-minute drive. There were tons of very cute cows blocking our trail and the recent rains combined with the cow hoofprints made it a muddy and uneven (but fun) experience. This is definitely a hike to do in winter and early spring as there is no shade and Antioch gets pretty hot in the summer/fall.

Sat Nov 25 2017

Great view from up here!!

Sun Jul 24 2016

Hot, challenging and dry. Would start before 7 am next time.

Tue Feb 23 2016

A good trail that has some demanding inclines. Nice views of the delta and oak trees.