Old Finley Road Loop

Old Finley Road Loop is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pleasanton, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This hike is a nice lollypop with some very nice views. The trip starts in Morgan Territory Regional Park and goes through a section of Mt Diablo State Park. Park on south side of Finley Rd - walk 3/4 mi. on blacktop to trailhead. Continue on Old Finley Rd, R on Walnut Tr, R on Amphitheater, L on Crestview, L on Highland Ridge, continue past Old Finley Rd on Highland Ridge, L on Tassajara Creek and continue past Bob's Pond where there is an nice bench thanks to Trail Dogs, at the bottom go R on an unmarked single track 30 yards to Riggs Canyon and turn R, R on Old Finley Rd to parking

Mostly fire roads. Very quiet with a few bikers, but not very many. I saw some horse evidence, but the trails weren't covered with poop, so they must not do this area very much - thankfully! I didn't do the route as written. I turned right a bit too quickly onto Sulphur Springs Trail from Old Finley Rd not far from the old house. The trail identifier was missing so I thought it was Walnut. I followed this trail to Black Hills Trail where I took a left. I took another left at Crestview Rd and followed that to Highland Ridge where I made a left there. Took a right at Morgan Creek Rd and a left on Jeremiah Trail - which is very overgrown and single track. I hung a left at Finley Rd and followed it out to the trail head. My GPS said I went 6.7 miles from the beginning of the trail head and back. This did not include the small .75 hike back and forth to where I parked. I really enjoyed the quietness of the hike, so much that when a bike came upon me, they startled me!

Next time I will probably throw Grizzly Trail to Highland to Morgan Ridge and around to Finley, but that will be done when it cools down a bit. There are many ways to make a nice hike from this area.

I saw one juvenile rattlesnake on Jeremiah Trail, no surprise there. A few turkeys, and raptor feathers. Not much wildlife to be seen today.

Beautiful Spring Day in February!

Loop from Morgan Territory Road trailhead. Incredible December hike with our recent dry weather. Excellent views, some fun single track, beautiful rock outcroppings, and only saw one other person for my 8.7 mile hike. Highly recommend this hike for this time of year.

Almost forgot this one 5 years ago...

Trail from Finley Road trailhead is now accessible! Bob's pond approach on Tassajara Creek Trail from north has a washout, but is passable. The trail from the picnic table to Riggs Canyon Road has a few downed trees, but again is passable. Watch out for poison oak!!

Monday, February 20, 2017

Trail is washed out about 1 mile in and completely impassable right now. Will need extensive repairs.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

We parked at the end of the Finley Road and hiked up to the Old Finley Road Trail. We supposed to turn right onto the Sulphur Springs trail but we missed it. So we turned and went down to the Walnut Trail. We followed the Walnut Trail and hiked up to the Highland Ridge Trail. From the Highland Ridge Trail we hiked back to the he Old Finley Road Trail. In this loop we had some shades and some very nice views. The hike was a moderate workout. My AllTrails record showed total 6.8 miles with 1214 feet elevation. We completed the hike in two and half hours with couple short breaks. I totally enjoyed.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

One of our favorites, especially the Tassajara Creek section. A picnic table at Bob's Pond for a mid hike break.

Sunday, June 04, 2017