Old Dale Road

Old Dale Road is a 26.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Twentynine Palms, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for scenic driving and off road driving and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 26.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,148 feet Route Type: Point to Point

scenic driving

ohv / off road driving

off road driving

Fun trail and very scenic views.

nice trail some technical parts but not hard if you choose a good line. made it up in a honda pilot 4wd no problem.

off road driving

Requires clearance and 4L through some challenging areas.

off road driving

Not the same road seen on video! Easy start and finish, but the hill in the middle is a very technical rock climb in places. Very grateful for the high clearance of my FJ or we might still be there tonight.

off road driving

Great trail. A little rocky and technical in places, especially in the mountain pass. But if you go slow and pick your line carefully it’s not too bad. I only rubbed once in a stock ‘18JLU Sport S, and that was on my smittybilt rock slider/step that hang a little lower than the frame.

off road driving

Went from north to south the full length of Gold Crown road and Old Dale out to Pinto Basin Rd. Our stock Tacoma TRDOR managed ok, but it was very slow and potentially treacherous going through the steep winding descent. It took some finesse and careful wheel placement to get down without damage. Even so, rubbed the skid plate a couple times. I believe this portion of the road has been heavily affected by recent rain erosion, as it was significantly more technical than some older trip reports/videos had shown. Next time, I would probably just take gold crown south, explore the area near the start of the steep descent (where many mines are) then return the same way north. It wasn't worth the stress of descending to Old Dale in this vehicle. I would not recommend the full drive linking 62 to Pinto Basin to inexperienced off-road drivers.

off road driving

We started off coming in from Highway 62 from the north. On highway 62 heading east, go past Gold Crown Road and turn south onto Iron Age Rd. It’s about 5 miles past the Gold Crown Road turn off. This road starts off being not too bad but I don’t recommend it unless you have high clearance as well as 4 x 4. There were also some areas where we were down in low 4 x 4 with the lockers on to get up through the really gnarly rocky passages. We were trying to find a alternate route into Brooklyn mine. We ended up eventually turning around and going back to Gold crown Road and connecting with old Dale Road and coming down ultimately on Old Dale Road through Cottonwood. From the time we left the highway at 62 to the time we joined Cottonwood Road we were on the trail for 5 1/2 hours. A lot of what we did was rock crawling anywhere between 2 to 4 miles an hour. If you like this kind of travel then this trip is for you. If you just like to travel back roads with a high clearance vehicle, this is not the trip for you.

off road driving

heading north, the mountain part was scary at times for this beginner, but my stock 2019 Wrangler managed it without problems, even with inflated tires. Will do it again better prepared! Also took an offshoot after the main mountain bit which led to a mine with some kind of previously liquid tailings you could drive on for a bit. Weird site and very cool!

off road driving

Put my lifted Rubicon though its paces. I went up some off trail mountain routes to an abandoned mine. Would go without a buddy or sat phone. Amazing trail.

Great trail but definitely hard to ride. if you are on an ADV bike there is alot of sand on the last 1/3 of the trail and rocky/ technical middle 1/3. First 1/3 out of 29 palms is dirt road w some sandy patches. Bring a buddy for safety.

off road driving

very scenic. Passable with a basic stock 2019 4wd Jeep. Climbing up from the south is very fun. Most of the trail is sand roads but it's well worth it for the mountain trail

off road driving

Awesome trail, took us about 2 hours with a bit of hiking and lots of pictures taken. The trail is for good driver only, some parts are really intense and need good clearance and 4x4. We had a 4runner sr5 2018 that worked great even with the last days of rain that made the trail really sketchy at some point but made the ride even funnier. If you start from the north you will go down the hard parts and if you go from south you will climb the hard parts. Imo going down is easier but if you are not sure of your capabilities try it from the south, it will be easier to go back if you shock on the hard parts. Best trail ive done so far and we all enjoyed it also great view point!

off road driving

Amazing trail! Really only need clearance, although I wouldn’t go without 4x4 just in case. There was a couple spots that required it, but that may be because of all the rain we got this year.

off road driving

Hit the trail in a 2” lifted Subaru Outback. Most of the trails is easy except for the hill climb. Some descent sized rocks and holes. Very fun. A lot of turn outs and other linked trails to explore and see old mines.

off road driving

Great trail, need clearance in a few places. Deep in trail there’s mines and a lot of side trails that are fun

off road driving

Drove this from hwy 62 into the park in 2018 JL Rubicon nice drive rough in spots. When in the mountains a lot of sharp rocks it had just rained for 3 days some standing water and a few spots washed away. One area someone had been switching trail markers so watch out where you are going and don't get lost.

off road driving

I love old dale rd. A lot of really cool spots to check out. I’ve driven it several times and I prefer the S to N route starting inside the park. Remember to air down and for all you tourists out there , don’t drive your one wheel drive car through there. It’s going to bottom out, scrap the rocks break down then you will be stranded. As far as 4x4. I leave my truck in 2 Hi. It’s not needed, you just need to be a competent driver. I am not advising to drive the rd without it.

Monday, August 20, 2018

We did this road from the national Park entry, the first part is really sandy. You definitely need to lower the tires pressure and have wide wheels as well as permanent 4x4 with lower gears and equipment to get your truck out of the sand in case. After the sand, around 10 miles in, the road start narrowing and climbs, a “normal” 4x4 won’t probably make it and there really fewer turning points to turn around. You need to drive through a lot of sharp rocks on the street, deep cuts and pretty intense obstacles to overcome driving up the mountain (better with differential blocks) . Your tire pressure at this point need to be lowered or you won’t probably make it and be prepared to pop a tire and mount a spare tire on your way. You won’t have network, and there are many minor side ways that can get you lost if you got stuck there and be prepared to walk in hard conditions, consider at least 1 gallon of water in case things go wrong, power battery for the map on the phone, and a knife for possible bobcats who might chase you (suggestion if you break down is to walk at sunset-night for avoiding the heat), flashlight and analog compass. We popped the rear tire and we forgot the jack for the spare, a mistake that could have driven to a miserable death if we were not lucky enough to have water, equipment and know how to hike in the desert. We walked 17 miles to get out on the 62 and get network, took us 6 hours hiking in with others two people we rescued on the street who got stuck in the sand, it was not possible to tow them out as their little suv 2wd was heavily stuck. Here are our specs: -Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 P38, 3 inch lift , 265/65 , wrangler duratrac tires Here are our suggestions: -don’t do this road if you are not experienced with desert, rocks and driving up in narrow, steep mountain off road tracks. -be prepared with spare wheel and gear yourself up -be prepared if your transmission break down or you hit a rock with and your wheel nut is gone -have good breaks and low gears up/down, lockers preferred but not necessary if you know what you are doing -this road is definitely not moderate, some passages who are hard and require rock crawling experience -drive slowly on the rocks A part of this is a fun road, good views and pretty scenic different grounds.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Lots of fun you can take a different route right as you get out of the wash it was intense but it linked us right back on to old dale rd

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Traveled South to North. Roughly 16-20 of the 26 miles are just washboard dirt roads. The middle 6-8 miles or so are somewhat intense. 4WD definitely recommended but not 100% required if you know what your doing, plan out & pick a good line when traversing the rough parts and commit to it. I completed in a 2wd 2001 tundra with a mild lift in the front and 32" BFG AT's. Good tires & some ground clearance a must if you attempt in 2wd. (others in my group had 4x4 so, I had some insurance). Wrangler Sahara 4door on 35" tires also never put it in 4x4 during our trip. Took use about 3.5 hrs to complete with several sight seeing stops along the way.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Pretty much what everyone else said, need a high clearance vehicle. I went from North to South in a 4WD Tahoe with street tires and running boards (rental) and had to stack up rocks in several areas to avoid bottoming out. Wife wasn’t stoked, it got a little intense in a few areas. Go slow and use a spotter. Amazing views of the park!!