Old Dale Road

Old Dale Road is a 26.3 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Desert Center, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for scenic driving and off road driving and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

scenic driving

Lots of fun you can take a different route right as you get out of the wash it was intense but it linked us right back on to old dale rd

off road driving

Traveled South to North. Roughly 16-20 of the 26 miles are just washboard dirt roads. The middle 6-8 miles or so are somewhat intense. 4WD definitely recommended but not 100% required if you know what your doing, plan out & pick a good line when traversing the rough parts and commit to it. I completed in a 2wd 2001 tundra with a mild lift in the front and 32" BFG AT's. Good tires & some ground clearance a must if you attempt in 2wd. (others in my group had 4x4 so, I had some insurance). Wrangler Sahara 4door on 35" tires also never put it in 4x4 during our trip. Took use about 3.5 hrs to complete with several sight seeing stops along the way.

Pretty much what everyone else said, need a high clearance vehicle. I went from North to South in a 4WD Tahoe with street tires and running boards (rental) and had to stack up rocks in several areas to avoid bottoming out. Wife wasn’t stoked, it got a little intense in a few areas. Go slow and use a spotter. Amazing views of the park!!

off road driving

Be prepared for a very bumpy climb. The trail is misleading. Starting from the south, the first 20 minutes are very easy and flat. It quickly changes as you climb. This trail may have a moderate rating but the climb is pretty intense. I have a Land Rover LR4 with stock wheels and I managed to make it out alive, but I did have a very difficult time in certain areas. The trail has had a lot of erosion so some of the gaps have become very large. DO NOT ATTEMPT WITHOUT A HIGH CLEARANCE VEHICLE. A Subaru Forester in front of me had to turn turn around. Plan to be driving at least 1.5 to 2 hours.

All that said, I had a thrilling and memorable experience on this trail. 5 out of 5.

off road driving

Driving “up” this trail from I-10 to highway 62 was Extremely challenging in a 2015 Subaru Forester.

Don’t try unless you have skid plates

Fun trail. Clearance is way more important than 4wd. I stayed in 2wd the entire way. Guy following me had a lifted 2wd Silverado rolling 35s and he was fine. I would recommend at least some good tires because its pretty rocky in some sections. Definitely a "Jeep trail". Slow, rocky, and rutted. Once we got down to Old Dale, it opens up and flattens out for some high speed action which is more my style so that was fun. If you're inexperienced and wondering whether to do this trail, I would advise against doing it alone.

off road driving

So this probably wasn't the trail I should have done in a 70k vehicle, the videos I saw online of this trail all looked pretty easy, I would definitely recommend a vehicle with a lift on it and a short wheel base like a jeep, some spots get pretty hairy, my passenger (aka wife) was less than thrilled with me, so rather than piss her off more I found a spot to turn around at, told me if I wanted to do trails like this to buy a jeep and she would be happy to do it in that so that's what I will do, was doing the trail in a 2015 2500HD crew cab, the truck was perfectly capable of doing it and I was personally having a good time but a shorter wheel base definitely has the advantage on this trail in spots.

Great trail. It was the maiden voyage for my wrangler pretty hairy at spots but tons of fun!

Challenging in parts where you drive along the edge of the mountains. 4x4 a must. Abandoned mines to explore along the way.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Moderate my ass. You definitely need 4wd for this if you don't wanna get stuck.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Cool trail for off-roading. Did it in my 2wd tacoma, so 4wd is not needed, but high clearance is.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Some really good mine roads if you want something challenging! May take some exploring but if you have the time, you can find some good spots.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Best one

Friday, September 09, 2016

We did this trail starting in 29 palms and then drove south instead of how the trail suggests. There is mostly long stretches of smooth sand where you can travel very quickly. Once you get into the mountains, it becomes a bit more tricky but still quite doable. There is only one true moderate portion and that would be near the beginning (if you are driving north), once you are beyond that most of it is a cake walk. There are several mines (that we missed) before you exit the park that I would suggest going to. Plenty of scenic views as well. You do need a 4x4 and relatively high clearance for this trail. There appears to be remnants of flash flooding and river beds that you drive through so keep in mind if you go during the rain season. This was completed in a Dodge powerwagon.

recorded Old Dale Road