Old Dale Road is a 26.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Twentynine Palms, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for scenic driving and ohv/off road driving and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 26.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,148 feet Route Type: Point to Point

scenic driving

ohv / off road driving

ohv/off road driving

Did this on a 19 Rav4 adventure with K02’s/leveled. Started from the north though. Very rocky once you get to the mountain area, but aside from that, road was not that bad. Did scrape once coming down but nothing major. Pick your lines right and you’ll be fine. I think doing the trail from the south to north would be much easier. Overall fun trail, any 4x4 should be able to do it without a problem.

Fun trail. Did it in a stock 2020 2 door Rubicon. Did highway 62 south to Pinto Basin. The straight roads on the map at the beginning are pretty rocky, and at the end a little washboardy. It’s the winding mountain passes that were a little nerve racking, I’d say it’d be pretty easy if you had a decent spotter, I was stopping and getting out myself to choose lines and going down the rough spots was difficult for me, it would for sure be easier going from south to north, I scraped the skid plate twice but otherwise pretty doable.

ohv/off road driving

Excellent trail. Great mix of rock running, light crawling, and high speed baja. Took a stock raptor and did full length in roughly 75min.

ohv/off road driving

Pretty easy with some ground clearance. Stay on the trail and you’ll have no issues. Roads are very washboardy, especially at the start. Do not attempt this trail in a stock vehicle.

ohv/off road driving

We went from Joshua Tree NP out to Hwy 62 on 11/26/19. The desert road is very rough as far as washboards. Hard to go faster than 10 Mph without beating up my 2011 Rubicon and rattling everything loose. As far as the 4WD sections go, the mountain pass definitely had some spots that would have been challenging for anything other than a lifted jeep. Overall, I gave it a 3 because of the rough roads and lack of signs to easily navigate my way back to Hwy 62. But I would do it again.

Old dale road trial was awesome. I did it yesterday on 10/26/2019 with my Raptor. Our start point was in the park. The trail starts out flat and we were able to go pretty fast. Once the hilly rocky area starts you have to go slow and pick the right line. On the way down was when we were able to get the truck all the way up to 65 mph. It took about 3 hrs.

ohv/off road driving

We drove the trail today from Hwy 62 to the National Park highway. Took four hours for this 26-mile trail. All was fairly easy except for the two mountain passes, especially Pinto Mountain. The mountain trail was narrow and quite washed out. We stopped four times to build up severely washed out sections so we could pass. Four miles of Pinto Mountain took us two hours. Our 4Runner Off Road performed flawlessly, but did scrape a few times. Never saw another human. Beautiful country and vistas.

recorded Old Dale Road

ohv/off road driving

Fun trail and very scenic views.

nice trail some technical parts but not hard if you choose a good line. made it up in a honda pilot 4wd no problem.

ohv/off road driving

Requires clearance and 4L through some challenging areas.

ohv/off road driving

Not the same road seen on video! Easy start and finish, but the hill in the middle is a very technical rock climb in places. Very grateful for the high clearance of my FJ or we might still be there tonight.

Mon Apr 22 2019

Went from north to south the full length of Gold Crown road and Old Dale out to Pinto Basin Rd. Our stock Tacoma TRDOR managed ok, but it was very slow and potentially treacherous going through the steep winding descent. It took some finesse and careful wheel placement to get down without damage. Even so, rubbed the skid plate a couple times. I believe this portion of the road has been heavily affected by recent rain erosion, as it was significantly more technical than some older trip reports/videos had shown. Next time, I would probably just take gold crown south, explore the area near the start of the steep descent (where many mines are) then return the same way north. It wasn't worth the stress of descending to Old Dale in this vehicle. I would not recommend the full drive linking 62 to Pinto Basin to inexperienced off-road drivers.

Mon Apr 08 2019

We started off coming in from Highway 62 from the north. On highway 62 heading east, go past Gold Crown Road and turn south onto Iron Age Rd. It’s about 5 miles past the Gold Crown Road turn off. This road starts off being not too bad but I don’t recommend it unless you have high clearance as well as 4 x 4. There were also some areas where we were down in low 4 x 4 with the lockers on to get up through the really gnarly rocky passages. We were trying to find a alternate route into Brooklyn mine. We ended up eventually turning around and going back to Gold crown Road and connecting with old Dale Road and coming down ultimately on Old Dale Road through Cottonwood. From the time we left the highway at 62 to the time we joined Cottonwood Road we were on the trail for 5 1/2 hours. A lot of what we did was rock crawling anywhere between 2 to 4 miles an hour. If you like this kind of travel then this trip is for you. If you just like to travel back roads with a high clearance vehicle, this is not the trip for you.

Sun Mar 24 2019

heading north, the mountain part was scary at times for this beginner, but my stock 2019 Wrangler managed it without problems, even with inflated tires. Will do it again better prepared! Also took an offshoot after the main mountain bit which led to a mine with some kind of previously liquid tailings you could drive on for a bit. Weird site and very cool!

Fri Mar 22 2019

Put my lifted Rubicon though its paces. I went up some off trail mountain routes to an abandoned mine. Would go without a buddy or sat phone. Amazing trail.

Sun Mar 17 2019

Great trail but definitely hard to ride. if you are on an ADV bike there is alot of sand on the last 1/3 of the trail and rocky/ technical middle 1/3. First 1/3 out of 29 palms is dirt road w some sandy patches. Bring a buddy for safety.