Ojai-Ventura Bike Path

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(99)
West Park

Ojai-Ventura Bike Path is a 14.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Ventura, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, running, road biking, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 14.9 miles Elevation Gain: 833 feet Route Type: Point to Point

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

rails trails

Bike and walking path that parallels the 33 freeway and Ventura river. Some sections have a fenced horse riding trail beside the bike/walking path. Well made and well maintained path lead from Ventura to Ojai - approx 15 miles in total length, can be done in sections: Ventura - Foster Park/Casitas Springs - Oak View - Mira Monte - Maricopa Hwy (33) turn off - Ojai (Bryant St). Generally easy uphill towards Ojai. Sections of the trail have a fenced horse riding path alongside the paved path.

I've lived in Ojai for 6 months, and often incorporate portions of this bike trail in my runs. I quickly realized that runners need to be very careful on the trail, where it originates at the Vons shopping center near the Ojai Ave/Hwy 33 junction. Heading westerly towards Hermosa Rd., tree routes have caused the pavement to severely buckle in many spots. Even while paying close attention, I fell yesterday, and injured my knee. Having a lot of trouble walking today. A couple of nice guys on bikes stopped to check on me - much appreciated. Two weeks ago I saw a woman who had also fallen in this area. The trail is nice, overall, and is well-maintained in other areas. But pay very close attention for the buckling pavement near the shopping center.

Really great trail! Here are some tips from our ride. - Park at Vons (right at the beginning of the trail Ventura side) - Stop by Foster Park (I think that’s what it was called) and follow the sound of the river (can swim here if you want! Hard to kiss the trail of people with floats) - Spin off Tico road (in Ojai almost at the end of the trail) and make your way to Farmer and the Cook for a delicious meal! Ride safe and have fun!

Amazing ride is all I can say. Good road, we’ll maintained, plenty of shade, not steep, easy ride.

Very industrial at the outset (starting in Ventura). still, a nice ride

Nice trail. Easy grade going north. All downhill going south. Nice views along the trail. In spring, nice wildflowers. Cross several bridges, share the trail with walkers, joggers and horseback riders (watch your “step”). Nicely maintained and safe. Foster Park is closed. Trail is open during COVID crisis, but signs are posted to adhere to social distancing, no gathering, no socializing. All users of the trails were respectful of the rules. Please be respectful of the rules when using so they don’t close down this trail, too.

Started at foster park. Trail is completely open. Took an hour to get to the Ojai village. A bit uphill but not too hard. Stopped in town for a light lunch. 45 minutes back to Foster park. Beautiful ride! Had a wonderful day

Instead of doing bike ride, we chose to hike from Foster Park. We tried hiking this Ojai Valley Trail in September 2019, and were not aware that the path was closed around Casitas Springs community since the Ventura County Public Works Agency was constructing a new bypass storm drain facility from August 20 2019 to January 20, 2020. However, I also found an article yesterday that the construction ended on January 17th (Friday - earlier - great job for the government!). So I called a nearby bike shop to confirm that it was indeed reopened! So we went. We wanted to pass the part of the path near Ventura where freeway noise was loud so we drove to/parked in Foster Park (Weekend and Holiday $5; weekday $3) and started hiking/walking. I had ridden bicycle on this path to Ojai (loop) before, but hiking (walking) gave me so much more appreciation for the various views the path provides - the mountains, the Ventura River, diverse vegetation, and communities. The walk is easy in a sense it is gradual ascend. We put in 10 miles today to Ojai and had some lunch there. We took a public bus (16) (fare is $1.50) from Ojai to Casitas/HWY33 station (less than 30 minutes) and walked back to Foster Park for about 20 minutes. We started 9:30AM and reached the end of the Ojai Valley Trail at 12:45PM. We came back to the Foster Park at around 4.30PM, and it was a perfect day!

bike touring
closed

Good but 3/5 of the trail is closed right now due to construction. Gets nice after you stop riding next to the freeway.

closed

We ride this trail regularly. We were told today by friends who road the trail that it is closed midway for renovation. The closure is until 2020.

Paved walk through some beautiful parts of Ventura and Ojai. done this a few times.

Mon May 15 2017

Did the round-trip from Ventura to Ojai (slight uphill) and back (easy descent). Will definitely do again.

Sun Apr 30 2017

Beautiful easy ride both up ( slight incline) and back! Scenery is wonderful. Ends in Ojai for a great place to walk and eat before the ride back!

Mon Jan 16 2017

This is a great paved trail for road bikes, not really a hiking trail. The path itself is rough in some spots. A lot of the path is in the shade of the oak trees so it makes for cool shade in the summer.

Sun Oct 16 2016

This is an excellent ride with well-maintained trails, few vehicle crossings to worry about and a gentle grade leading up to Ojai. I wish I had found this sooner.

Tue Sep 06 2016

My wife and I highly recommend this trail for easy bicycling. Views are great once you are past the industrial area. Easy grade going up to Ojai and the entire path is paved. We loved that the trail is close to the ocean in Ventura with some great ocean breezes. The trail also referred to as the Ventura River Trail.

Mon Aug 15 2016

It's a great ride!

Sat Jan 10 2015

still good as ever

Fri Nov 08 2013

I've moved to the area and live almost beside the trail and have ridden most of its length a few times and different parts of it many times. It is fairly busy sometimes with walkers (with pets often) and bike riders as well as horse riders in the designated trail. The trail actually goes the full 15 miles from Ventura (starts near the Mission Plaza shopping center) all the way to Ojai. You can do sections of it easily - heading north to Ojai is almost all uphill but at a gentle grade is this is a former rail trail. I've seen one or two homeless people - not 'a lot'.

Wed Jun 19 2013

Great Ride i usual start at Sanjon Off of the 101 then ride the beach trail to warm up. I rode up for an hour (12 miles) then turned around to head back to my car total was 24 miles. Very scenic ride with beach views then into the Ojai valley with forest views. you do see alot of homeless people out there but no worries they keep to them selves.

Wed Feb 06 2013

Road this one from end to end today, 15 miles one way. Trail is in great shape. Also added it to Hrailheadfinder.com, a much user friendly site.

Wed Nov 14 2012

Trails in awesome shape as usual.