Oil Well Road and Engineer Canyon Road Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(140)
Fort Ord National Monument

Oil Well Road and Engineer Canyon Road Loop is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Seaside, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 544 feet Route Type: Loop

Not easy or really kid-friendly (young children).

Great trail for running. nice shade spots and beautiful meadows.

I really liked this trail a lot. Lots of options along the way to explore. We did see a snake so keep your eyes out for those. Really good for jogging or mountain biking. One of the few trails that allow dogs as well! And they provide poop bags I believe.

Kid friendly!

Loved this hike got out of work on Saturday and wanted to get out of the house. Pictures do not do this place justice. The hills were so green the top of the hills you could feel the ocean breeze. I had moments were there was no one around and I felt extremely close to that meditative state of mind it was great and exactly what I needed.

private property

private property

Nice loop. There is still a pond with some bird life, on the trail was 1 skink (!) and several western fence lizards. We saw a couple scattered song birds, 1 red tail hawk and a couple scrub jays. Not too many people. The bicycle riders were very friendly, polite and gave lots of warning with one exception. Only one person had their dog on a leash the other 3 were off leash which was a bummer. And I love dogs but that isn’t very cool. You are out in the sun for the most part. Trail was smooth although some trail had water erosion making footing uneven. A couple of years ago my husband and I came across a bobcat on the trail. That was pretty awesome.

Great trail running training loop!

Really pretty hike! Just a FYI that the trail says that people must have dogs on leash, yet there were quite a few that let their dogs off leash. A good, easy hike for a Saturday:)

Sun Mar 25 2018

Nice trail to ease your friends into hiking.

Fri Jul 21 2017

Moderately challenging. There IS poison sumac on this trail. I'm 99% certain I got it on my face from a spiderweb across the trail. I am going on week 3.5 and it's nearly gone. I hadn't been outside but to go on this trail, and I was walking this daily as my morning hike. It doesn't appear to be well maintained, like many trails in Monterey County. It's difficult to avoid brushing up against plants. I much prefer hikes in places where you can tell they support the outdoors folk, by maintaining the trails.

Mon Jan 16 2017

Beautiful trail with beautiful views. A little too high-traffic for me. Lots of people walking on Monday morning. We brought our dog which is allowed to walk off leash but there are lots of bikers so we really had to keep her on the leash the whole time.

Fri Sep 25 2015

Took my pittie "Candy-Cane" and did a great loop. Easy, peaceful, serene. I love this place.

Fri Dec 20 2013

The trails at the Fort Ord National Monument are multi use. Equestrian, non motorized bicycle, and foot travel. The trailheads are easy to find and the skill level is mostly easy to moderate hiking with an occasional sections being a little more challenging. Google the monument and find info on trail maps, history, flora/fauna, etc. I find the trails to be in fair condition considering the multi uses. There are sections a bit more worn so be prepared for berms, holes, ruts, etc. The trails all seem to tie together in some form so don't worry about getting lost. Carry water and a hat on warmer days, a light jacket and maybe layering on cooler days. Be careful wearing personal listening devices as bicyclists are about, mostly on downhill sections. Please be courteous to all users.

Sat Jan 21 2012

There are MILES of trails on FT Ord. Mostly well travelled, mostly for Mountain Biking. Beautiful terrain, great scenery. Not a lot of services. If you need it, pack it...if you use it, take it out with you. The Monterey Off-road Cycling Association (MORCAmtb.org) has some good maps and information about the trails. They are also pretty active in builing and maintaining the trails.