Ohlone Wilderness Trail

Ohlone Wilderness Trail is a 29.1 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Livermore, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

Rugged but rewarding trek is best way to see East Bay backcountry Ohlone Wilderness Trail is one wicked walk: 28 miles in two days with over 7,600 feet of elevation gain. But it's worth the strain as you soak up amazing vistas, scout for wildlife and marvel at being in such a remote locale so close to a huge metropolis. (Large raptors like eagles and hawks can often be spotted swooping down on their doomed prey). Parks form the trailheads at both ends of the trail: Mission Peak Regional Preserve in Fremont on the west and Del Valle Regional Park in Livermore on the east. The trail passes Rose Peak, the highest accessible point in Alameda County, and traverses Sunol Regional Wilderness, one of the East BAy's premiere hiking destinations. Trails can get crowded on weekends at Mission Peak and Sunol, but the rest of time you'll have the trails largely to yourself (and a few grazing cattle.) Late winter and early spring are the best times to go because the temperatures are cool, the hills are green and the wildflowers are in bloom.

Excellent views of east bay. Make sure to hit Rose peak and Murietta falls.

Had an awesome time... beautiful hike, quite challenging - challenging enough that I found myself constantly setting goals instead of letting my mind drift. Broken up into two days, sunol to Maggie's 10 miles, 4000 ft ~6hrs. Day 2 down to the falls and finished at del valle... despite leaving from rose peak, still found a way to climb approx 2500 ft in the hike down. If you're hiking in the heat make sure to bring and treat water. Went through 4liters on the first day
Video recapping from sunol to del valle - may 2017, temps ~85-95 degrees

Amazing gem in our Bay Area back yard! Lots of good Geocaching along the way and can't wait to return.

Went here with my recently adopted dog on a spring Monday, with hopes of not running into other dogs and avoiding her triggers. We ran into about three dogs, not bad. But also ran into LOTS of cows. Found out she likes steak. Other than that, the main area was closed due to flooding, so we hiked along the perimeter. Overall it was quite nice. More of an amble than a hike. The rolling hills reminded me of England.

Excellent Workout...made it in only 3.5 miles in a total of 7 miles round trip

Went backpacking here for New Years Weekend. It got very cold at night, which was to be expected, but still very much worth the trip. I started at Del Valle and went all the way to Mission Peak. Definitely get an early start if you want to finish the trail in 2 day/1 night. The hike was very dynamic and the terrain would change dramatically throughout the length of the trip. It was very strenuous, and I cannot wait to do this trail again.

To get backpacking and parking permits, you have to call the park system at least 3 days in advance. However, we did not come across any rangers and were not checked for our permits.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

My third hike on the Ohlone Trail this year. For the first time made it to Rose Peak from Del Valle Trailhead. On way back hit Murrieta Falls which had pretty good volume. Rose Peak had good views and was worth the effort to do at least once. Hiked and ran over 25 miles today and that is a good day.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

This hike is great! If you need workout, this is where you want to be! Massive elevation gain right from the parking lot. The hike to the falls via the loop is around 14 miles and worth the time it take to get there.

Friday, April 15, 2016

This is a legit HARD trail.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

We went on an overcast and a rainy weekend with full packs. We spent the night at Maggie's half acre, it was pretty nice. Nothing out of the ordinary, water and a john. The overcast weather made it a beautiful hike because it wasn't warm out so we were sweating. But when it started raining for 18 hours straight, it made the trail even more challenging! The runoff started filling those little creeks to the point you almost couldn't cross them. The exit on the Del Valle side has a different kind of soil and it just made the mud stick and slippery. All in all it was a very challenging hike for my noob knees. But on a clear/warm day make sure you bring plenty of water. It is quite an experience. Watch out for poison oak everywhere especially on the Del Valley side.

Monday, March 07, 2016

Tough trail I took to Murrieta Falls, next goal is Rose Peak than eventually all the way to Sunol Wilderness Area.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

It was very challenging, but I'd do it again.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

A few good lookouts and good climbs. No people so that was nice.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

I consider this trail to have moderate use. Lots of hikers, very few MTB on the trails. Wide, fire trails without much area for single track trails. As one user commented, mostly rolling hills with infrequent flat trail intervals. I didn't complete the entire trail, but ended up meandering around the park (went up Hayfield road that is next to Indian Joe trail). Very few trails that are MTB friendly.

Monday, March 16, 2015

Most beautiful hike I've ever been on, took a shorter route that was only 3 miles. Looked almost like the Lord of the Rings.

Thursday, October 02, 2014

I did this hike about the middle of august. I started at the Del Valle side and went to the Sunol visitor center. My GPS said I went 21 miles in 13 hours. I think I could have gone faster had I not brought so much with me, but being as this was my first time on this trail, I had no idea what to expect, if I could make it out before nightfall or not so I came prepared to camp. Turns out you can do it in a day  I will not be bringing so much stuff with me next time.
They have shut the water off at every point along the way except for Stewart’s Camp and Boyd Camp. I chose to refill at Stewart’s because it was on a loop and I wouldn’t have to backtrack at all. It does take you off the trail on the permit map, but at least you can keep pushing forward. I HAD to refill at Stewart’s because just that slug up from Del Valle took so much. But my refill lasted to Sunol. The water needs to be purified even though the map marks it as drinking water so bring iodine tabs with you (4 per gallon).
I initially brought a 2 quart bladder, my 1 quart bottle for electrolyte mixing and an extra gallon jug of water. I think next time I’ll bring two bladders, one for water and one for electrolytes and straight up nix the bottle. I also found this cool trick… I put a basic soft side lunch bag into my pack and kept a frozen water bottle, my PB&J sandwiches, Powerbars and bladder in it with the hose coming out through the zipper. My bladder water stayed cool the whole time because the lunch bag was insulated and kept the sun out.
I will definitely be doing this hike again. It was a great challenge!!

Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Ohlone trail connect into Indian Joe trail. It's also the back end of the Mission Peak area. Pretty much Ohlone , Indian Joe, Little Yosemite, and Canyon Road trails will connect at one point. Very confusing with the signs.

Friday, April 26, 2013

This was an overnight, solo backpacking trip for me. I started at 8:30am on Del Valle side and ended at 6:30pm at Backpackers' Camp on the Sunol Side. I started my hike out the next day at 9am and reached Sunol entrance at 10:45am. You will need a permit. It has an excellent map on it with great details on elevation and mileage gain. It's only $2-$5. Make sure you bring a water filter or water tablets on this hike. The Del Valle side is steeper to start then the Sunol side. There are rattlesnakes on this trail, I almost stepped on one. Pay attention. This hike is definitely doable in one day and worth it. The beginning and ending of this trail gets a lot of traffic on the weekends and early mornings. It's just too good!

Monday, March 25, 2013

Very strenuous but worthwhile. Out of the 20-miles walked, maybe a mile is flat ground, at least it seemed that way. The trail is well marked. The one downside is that it's mostly fire roads and not much single track trail. Amazing views from the top of Rose Peak, and it was a crystal clear day when I was there.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I have birthdays a day apart, so we decided on an epic b-day 3-day vacation. This trail was AMAZING. Great views, lots of wildlife, and a great sense of peace. The only drawback was the time of year; which is usual for our birthdays, but neither of us were prepared for the 102 degree weather! There are a few spots along the way to fill up water bottles and camel backs, but be sure to bring plenty of water as they are much further in on the trail than they seem. We took a few detours which added a bit to the length and time, but we didn't see another person besides each other for 14 of the 16 hours.

All in all it was a great trip. Prepare for the weather and you'll be great!