Ohlone Wilderness Trail

Ohlone Wilderness Trail is a 29.1 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Livermore, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

Rugged but rewarding trek is best way to see East Bay backcountry Ohlone Wilderness Trail is one wicked walk: 28 miles in two days with over 7,600 feet of elevation gain. But it's worth the strain as you soak up amazing vistas, scout for wildlife and marvel at being in such a remote locale so close to a huge metropolis. (Large raptors like eagles and hawks can often be spotted swooping down on their doomed prey). Parks form the trailheads at both ends of the trail: Mission Peak Regional Preserve in Fremont on the west and Del Valle Regional Park in Livermore on the east. The trail passes Rose Peak, the highest accessible point in Alameda County, and traverses Sunol Regional Wilderness, one of the East BAy's premiere hiking destinations. Trails can get crowded on weekends at Mission Peak and Sunol, but the rest of time you'll have the trails largely to yourself (and a few grazing cattle.) Late winter and early spring are the best times to go because the temperatures are cool, the hills are green and the wildflowers are in bloom.

Hiked from Sunol Wilderness to Del Valle as a day hike in preparation for summer hiking season on JMT and Colorado Trail. It's one of my favorite hikes in the Bay Area with great views, solitude and rolling unspoiled East Bay hills all the way through. Trail was in a beautiful condition. I was afraid of the mud, but there were none. The weather was perfect, too. I met just one other person in the entire day. I carried a full 30 lb backpack and finished in 11 hours and 15 min. The trail sure is hard - very hard. It's not only 20 miles long, but with a huge, relentless elevation change, about 6,500 ft up and down. Even after I reached the Rose Peak, the "descent" into Del Valle packed enough uphills to set my tired muscles on fire every step of the way. Descent down the "Big Burn" is nothing to sneeze at as well. Overall, a great 20-miler, for training or fun, if you are looking for that sort of thing.

Great trail but watch the weather, we went up at the end of March and found ourselves in sow and hail storms and woke up under 2” of snow. Weather would change every 30 minutes from shining sun to torrential rain and everything in between. That said, waking from Stuart’s camp to then peak in forging snow with not another person in sight was magical. Don’t underestimate the route, especially if wearing a full pack for three days

Excellent views of east bay. Make sure to hit Rose peak and Murietta falls.

Had an awesome time... beautiful hike, quite challenging - challenging enough that I found myself constantly setting goals instead of letting my mind drift. Broken up into two days, sunol to Maggie's 10 miles, 4000 ft ~6hrs. Day 2 down to the falls and finished at del valle... despite leaving from rose peak, still found a way to climb approx 2500 ft in the hike down. If you're hiking in the heat make sure to bring and treat water. Went through 4liters on the first day
Video recapping from sunol to del valle - may 2017, temps ~85-95 degrees

Amazing gem in our Bay Area back yard! Lots of good Geocaching along the way and can't wait to return.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Went here with my recently adopted dog on a spring Monday, with hopes of not running into other dogs and avoiding her triggers. We ran into about three dogs, not bad. But also ran into LOTS of cows. Found out she likes steak. Other than that, the main area was closed due to flooding, so we hiked along the perimeter. Overall it was quite nice. More of an amble than a hike. The rolling hills reminded me of England.

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Excellent Workout...made it in only 3.5 miles in a total of 7 miles round trip

Monday, January 16, 2017

Went backpacking here for New Years Weekend. It got very cold at night, which was to be expected, but still very much worth the trip. I started at Del Valle and went all the way to Mission Peak. Definitely get an early start if you want to finish the trail in 2 day/1 night. The hike was very dynamic and the terrain would change dramatically throughout the length of the trip. It was very strenuous, and I cannot wait to do this trail again.

To get backpacking and parking permits, you have to call the park system at least 3 days in advance. However, we did not come across any rangers and were not checked for our permits.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

My third hike on the Ohlone Trail this year. For the first time made it to Rose Peak from Del Valle Trailhead. On way back hit Murrieta Falls which had pretty good volume. Rose Peak had good views and was worth the effort to do at least once. Hiked and ran over 25 miles today and that is a good day.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

This hike is great! If you need workout, this is where you want to be! Massive elevation gain right from the parking lot. The hike to the falls via the loop is around 14 miles and worth the time it take to get there.

Friday, April 15, 2016

This is a legit HARD trail.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

We went on an overcast and a rainy weekend with full packs. We spent the night at Maggie's half acre, it was pretty nice. Nothing out of the ordinary, water and a john. The overcast weather made it a beautiful hike because it wasn't warm out so we were sweating. But when it started raining for 18 hours straight, it made the trail even more challenging! The runoff started filling those little creeks to the point you almost couldn't cross them. The exit on the Del Valle side has a different kind of soil and it just made the mud stick and slippery. All in all it was a very challenging hike for my noob knees. But on a clear/warm day make sure you bring plenty of water. It is quite an experience. Watch out for poison oak everywhere especially on the Del Valley side.

Monday, March 07, 2016

Tough trail I took to Murrieta Falls, next goal is Rose Peak than eventually all the way to Sunol Wilderness Area.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

It was very challenging, but I'd do it again.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

A few good lookouts and good climbs. No people so that was nice.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

I consider this trail to have moderate use. Lots of hikers, very few MTB on the trails. Wide, fire trails without much area for single track trails. As one user commented, mostly rolling hills with infrequent flat trail intervals. I didn't complete the entire trail, but ended up meandering around the park (went up Hayfield road that is next to Indian Joe trail). Very few trails that are MTB friendly.

Monday, March 16, 2015

Most beautiful hike I've ever been on, took a shorter route that was only 3 miles. Looked almost like the Lord of the Rings.

Thursday, October 02, 2014

I did this hike about the middle of august. I started at the Del Valle side and went to the Sunol visitor center. My GPS said I went 21 miles in 13 hours. I think I could have gone faster had I not brought so much with me, but being as this was my first time on this trail, I had no idea what to expect, if I could make it out before nightfall or not so I came prepared to camp. Turns out you can do it in a day  I will not be bringing so much stuff with me next time.
They have shut the water off at every point along the way except for Stewart’s Camp and Boyd Camp. I chose to refill at Stewart’s because it was on a loop and I wouldn’t have to backtrack at all. It does take you off the trail on the permit map, but at least you can keep pushing forward. I HAD to refill at Stewart’s because just that slug up from Del Valle took so much. But my refill lasted to Sunol. The water needs to be purified even though the map marks it as drinking water so bring iodine tabs with you (4 per gallon).
I initially brought a 2 quart bladder, my 1 quart bottle for electrolyte mixing and an extra gallon jug of water. I think next time I’ll bring two bladders, one for water and one for electrolytes and straight up nix the bottle. I also found this cool trick… I put a basic soft side lunch bag into my pack and kept a frozen water bottle, my PB&J sandwiches, Powerbars and bladder in it with the hose coming out through the zipper. My bladder water stayed cool the whole time because the lunch bag was insulated and kept the sun out.
I will definitely be doing this hike again. It was a great challenge!!

Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Ohlone trail connect into Indian Joe trail. It's also the back end of the Mission Peak area. Pretty much Ohlone , Indian Joe, Little Yosemite, and Canyon Road trails will connect at one point. Very confusing with the signs.

Friday, April 26, 2013

This was an overnight, solo backpacking trip for me. I started at 8:30am on Del Valle side and ended at 6:30pm at Backpackers' Camp on the Sunol Side. I started my hike out the next day at 9am and reached Sunol entrance at 10:45am. You will need a permit. It has an excellent map on it with great details on elevation and mileage gain. It's only $2-$5. Make sure you bring a water filter or water tablets on this hike. The Del Valle side is steeper to start then the Sunol side. There are rattlesnakes on this trail, I almost stepped on one. Pay attention. This hike is definitely doable in one day and worth it. The beginning and ending of this trail gets a lot of traffic on the weekends and early mornings. It's just too good!

Monday, March 25, 2013

Very strenuous but worthwhile. Out of the 20-miles walked, maybe a mile is flat ground, at least it seemed that way. The trail is well marked. The one downside is that it's mostly fire roads and not much single track trail. Amazing views from the top of Rose Peak, and it was a crystal clear day when I was there.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I have birthdays a day apart, so we decided on an epic b-day 3-day vacation. This trail was AMAZING. Great views, lots of wildlife, and a great sense of peace. The only drawback was the time of year; which is usual for our birthdays, but neither of us were prepared for the 102 degree weather! There are a few spots along the way to fill up water bottles and camel backs, but be sure to bring plenty of water as they are much further in on the trail than they seem. We took a few detours which added a bit to the length and time, but we didn't see another person besides each other for 14 of the 16 hours.

All in all it was a great trip. Prepare for the weather and you'll be great!

Sunday, August 05, 2012

In preparation for an upcoming 4 day excursion along the Na Pali coast in Kauai with my son in September, I struck out to do an overnight hike and I started the hike from Lake Del Valle last Saturday, July 28th 2012 and got a late start around 11:30am. It was a pretty hot day and I am thankful that I had a full 100 ounces of H2O in the camelback. There are a few places to get water but you must use a water filtration kit AND purification tablets or filter it and boil it to kill micro-organisms. I carry a Katadyne Hiker Pro which filters "the nasties" up to 1 micron in size and gives you clear water. There are horse troughs with flowing water in them that you can filter water from as long as you filter and boil.

I am 54 and in decent shape and I 'd have to say that this trail is properly rated "strenuous" which is above "difficult". It kicked my tail pretty good I must admit. I am not a frequent hiker by any means though but I have hiked The Pleasanton Ridge several times over the past several years and I have to say that it pales in difficulty by comparison. As I understand it, starting on the opposite side of The Ohlone Wilderness Trail (Fremont side) is a lot easier and a lot more popular.

I want to add that even though this was a Saturday (overnight) and Sunday hike, I passed less than a dozen people going either direction on BOTH days combined. Not sure if it is because of the challenging steepness up/down or whether the pickup place (Lake Del Valle) is so much more remote than the Fremont side. Do this hike, but bring trekking poles to help your knees and joints.

At night, it's kind of noisy with jet air traffic at night until midnight on Saturday as this is under the flight paths for air traffic bound for Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose and Sacramento airports.

Thursday, July 05, 2012

Hiked in from Lake Del Valle to Sonul Regional Wilderness. Traveled 20 miles in 8hrs with a total accent of 5600ft. A permit is required. There are water sources along the way but a good H20 filter is recommended. Bring snacks to keep energy levels up. The 1st 6+ miles of the hike is mostly uphill and challenging but pretty much levels out at the halfway mark. Plan ahead by arranging some transportation as there is virtually no cell service out there. There is an emergency pay phone but bring some money or a credit card for it- a collect call to my friends cell phone was $21. This hike is most beautiful in the early spring when the falls are flowing, the grass is green and the wild flowers are blooming. Summer can be extremely hot so plan accordingly.

Friday, May 18, 2012

I've done two sections of this trail ...The hike to Mission Peak and back(once when it was snowing and I almost got lost in the whiteout) and the the other Sunol to Little Yosemite(this Spring and Last) ....Mission peak is all up hill going but has spectacular views (on a clear day ..Mt Tamalpais to the Northwest... Loma Prieta to the South and Mt Diablo to the Northeast.

...The Little Yosemite section is a beautiful easy walk along Alameda Creek and I took the higher route back that has views of the New Calaveras Dam under construction...It is best done in late Spring when there is a good stream flow and lots of wildflowers

Sunday, January 08, 2012

This is also listed as The Ohlone Regional Wilderness Trail. See review there.

Sunday, January 08, 2012

The Ohlone Wilderness Trail actually begins at the end of Stanford Ave in Fremont, CA, goes through the Mission Peak Regional Preserve, the Sunol Regional Preserve, the Ohlone Regional Wilderness and ends up in Dell Valle Regional Park near Livermore, CA; for a total trail length of 27+ miles.
The section over Mission Peak (8.5mi) is quite steep and often treated as a separate hike. From Sunol to Rose Peak (8.5mi) the hike would be considered moderate, although it is 17 mi round trip. From Rose Peak (the highest point in Alameda County) to Dell Valle (10+ mi) there are several steep areas both up and down and I consider this section demanding.
I have hiked Mission peak a couple of times and found the view from the top to be most rewarding. I hiked from Sunol to Dell Valle one time and the latter section, with it's steep climbs in and out of the ravines, got to be more than these old knees could handle. I ended up actually backing down some sections of the trail.
The Ohlone Wilderness area is open to hikers and horses only, no bikes. Camping is permitted in designated areas, Maggies Half Acre at Rose Peak being the most popular site. Camping and day use permit/maps are available for $2 at Sunol & Dell Valle.
If you are up to it, this is a most rewarding hike, especially in the spring when the weather is right and the landscape is abloom. And,if you're into it, there are geocaches along the trail.
More information and a map is available at ebparks.org.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

From Del Valle to Sunol. Hiked about 7.5 miles from Del Valle to Stewart's Camp the first night, hitting the sign-in panel at 3PM and arriving at Stewart's camp about 7:30 PM. You pass Murietta Falls on the way to Stewart's Camp, but no water runs in the summer. Second day from Stewart's to Backpack Camp in Sunol. Stopped at Maggies Half Acre (halfway through) for lunch. Water at each campsite from pump. Recommended that it be filtered or treated. Pit toilets at campsites. This is a strenuous hike with lots of elevation gains/losses on mostly fire road. From Maggie's Half Acre to Sunol there is little shade, it is all fireroad through grasslands and pastureland. You'll want to avoid the heat by hiking early morning or waiting until spring or fall. We did it in July and it was very hot (in the 90's)and with packs that weighed in at 40 lbs and 55 lbs respectively-- we averaged about 1.5 mph (breaks included). Backpack camp is beautiful, high up, shaded. There are a few different ways to get from Backpack Camp to the Sunol Parkig lot. Taking the fire road past Little Yosemite is the shortest and easiest. Taking McCorkle Trail all the way back adds about an additional hour, but is more scenic. We saw only one rattlesnake on this trip. On previous trips, we've seen wild boar near Backpack Camp.