Ocean Overlook Loop Trail

Ocean Overlook Loop Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

$4 parking charge

One of my favorite hikes for a quiet morning or late afternoon hike. This place is never busy and the hikes are in a meadow escape of the City.

Loved this trail. Quiet & good ocean views

Fun trail with wonderful views of both the ocean and the surrounding mountains. Would recommend you wear light pants while hiking this trail. Parts are narrow with a lot of growth. I have a good amount of scratches on my legs post hike.

We went when it was a bit cloudy so can't speak to views, but the trail itself was overgrown with lots of bees. I wouldn't come back unless I heard they really cleaned up and cut back the trail.

I've hiked this and other trails in Charmlee Wilderness Park over 50 times, and I never tire of it. Great payoff of the ocean view looking towards Point Dume. This is not a challenging hike unless you are an absolute beginner. If you live here and want to take a visitor for a hike with an Ocean view, this would be a great pick.

If you want the hike to be more challenging, there are several additional trails in Charmlee that branch off from this one, and include more hills.

Great in the early morning before the marine layer burns off!

Distance ocean views ..... not much shade

Beautiful wildflowers and fields, awesome ocean views, easy hiking, lots of trails to pick from

Easy place to find. Not far from the Pacific Coast Highway. It has a small parking area, but I have read the park never gets very busy. It's $4.00 to park. Money is deposited in an "iron ranger". A small paper stub from the payment envelope goes on your dashboard to signify you paid.

As someone else noted, this place is sort of a "build your own hike" kind of park. Some of the various legs of the trails aren't marked, but the park is small and it would be difficult to get lost. The trails are, for the most part easy to navigate and the terrain is easy to handle, I bet even for children. The elevation changes are very subtle across most of the trails. The most difficult parts are on the edges of the park. Some of the lesser used trails on the edges are a tad overgrown. You will want to be careful here as you may not be able to see where you are placing your feet. But if you are an experienced hiker, this place will play out like a fun little nature walk. To me, that was the "Charm" of Charmlee.

There is a lush open field in the middle of the park with a lot of wildflowers. Heads up for the squeamish, there was also a lot of small lizards in this area and I observed two non-venomous snakes. On the east side of the loop there are small trees. I seen a few birds here and more lizards. Very cool as I love critters. There is a brilliant overlook near "the reservoir". On clear day, you will be able to see itsy bitsy Santa Barbara Island or even San Nicolas Island, though it will be very low on the horizon. Look close.

3 stars. Very short. Overgrown areas. Limited parking. Sometimes trail markings are a bit lacking. BUT, it is child and pet friendly. Perfect difficulty for beginner hiking. And if its too easy, you just turn up the pace. Excellent views. Plentiful wildlife. Easy access!

Easy stroll with some pretty views. You get fields of grass and, as the name suggests, glances of the ocean. The suggested trail on this site doesn't exactly exist anymore - we tried to follow but lots of sections were just too overgrown. There are however a lot of intersecting trails in this area. Would suggest just picking what you like and going from there.

Visited this trail on Memorial Day with the wife and two small dogs.

It is easy to find, and there's a $4 parking charge.

The route isn't entirely intuitive, I round myself continually checking AllTrails. It's also very overgrown in some spots which is tough on small dogs.

Amazing views though, and the wild mint is everywhere so enjoy all the sights and smells!

This was a gorgeous "build your own" hike. I wanted to do more than 2.7 miles but my husband has a bad knee so can't do strenuous hikes...this was prefect because we added on another mile or so with a few more trail explorations. All of the rain made this look like we were in Hawaii vs Malibu...so green everywhere with 15+ different types of wildflowers. We also enjoyed scrambling up a few rocks for better views...but the best view was the overlook trail that hugs the coastline. You could see for miles... There were several parking spaces even though we got there at 11:00 am, so don't despair if your partner is not a morning person ; ). Can't wait to come back with kiddos. Lovely & uncrowded vs other hikes.

Lets start this review with a warning. Went on a Saturday and got to the parking lot around 11:15. It was full. It became "invent a parking place time". Didn't get a ticket and there were four cars parked where we were before we left the car. When we returned, about 1:30, I expected that the parking lot would be half empty. I was surprised to find that more cars had invented more parking places. So be warned..get to Charmlee early on nice weekend days in wildflower season. The wildflowers were excellent so it's well worth the trip. Found Catalina Mariposa Lilies on the Clyde Canyon Trail. It's a bit overgrown but worth doing the trail just for the lilies. Lots of Hummingbird Sage on the Botany Trail and nice patches of California Poppies on the West Meadow Trail near the Reservoir Trail. Lots and lots of families on the trails and everyone is really nice. Had a golden retriever with us and she was a huge hit. Finally, no view at all but ocean fog is typical of spring along the coast.

Really beautiful! Pretty easy hike a few areas with small incline were nice for a little work on the glutes!

Amazing hike! It really makes you feel like you are miles away from the city! I went when it was really overcast and it was still beautiful.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

I hiked this trail with my seven year old daughter. It was a perfect hike for her.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Took this trail with a friend's brother originally from India now living in Qatar. He was very impressed. Was really good to take someone on a hike that had such nice ocean views. Finally got a reasonable vista that included the Channel Islands, although there was haze. Couldn't see Catalina as it was hidden by clouds. One of these days it'll be totally clear and I'll see all the islands.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Very good place to hike in July when temperatures in the valley are pushing into the 90s. A cool breeze kept things comfortable even though the sun was a bit intense. Marine layer and any haze was gone by 11:00 when I got to the park and I expect that to be the norm for the next couple months. I took the Clyde Canyon trail and it isn't overgrown like it was a couple months ago. Didn't see a single snake this outing. Wildflowers are long gone although there was a bush mallow and the usual cliff aster.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

This is a very good place to hike but there are some problems. First the park really needs maintenance. Trash was spilling out of a trash can in the picnic area, the picnic area was overgrown, and the iron ranger was stuffed with fees. If I'm paying a fee I'd like to see better maintenance. There are a few trails that are problematic. Parts of the botany trail are overgrown with difficult footing. The east side of the lower loop trail is rutted and very difficult. I suggest avoiding it and accessing the short trail to the overlook as an out and back using the west side of the lower loop. The Clyde Canyon trail through the grasslands is very overgrown. Even with all these issues the park is a great place to hike . It's all about the views. I also saw more wildflowers than I did on Sunday which suggests that the more trails hiked the more variety of wildflowers.

Monday, May 02, 2016

Excellent place for a hike. Great views of the ocean. Lots of wildflowers although I believe we missed the peak. Not as much variety as there may have been a few weeks ago. The meadow had also turned brown. It would have been much nicer green. The park needs some additional maintenance. Picnic area was really overgrown. The iron ranger was so stuffed with fee envelopes it was hard to add one more. Fortunately, the trails were in good shape.