Observatory Trail Extended Loop Trail

Observatory Trail Extended Loop Trail is a 6.7 mile loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The thing I like about the Griffith Observatory trail and connecting trails is you can choose to take the more vertical shortcuts rather than walk around the loop. I feel some burn in my butt cheeks. Then if I feel lazy afterwards, I can just walk the trail.

It's super dog-friendly as well, though almost all dogs I've encountered have been off leash. That said, I haven't had issues.

This was a great trail but not easy. The first 2 miles on the east side of the trail is really nice but after that the 1600+ elevation gain was pretty steep at times -- I wouldn't recommend it for small children or beginning hikers. I noticed a lot of the 5 star rating were by hikers that went out and back but didn't do the full 6.8 full Loop.

Great stretch of the legs. Go as far as you want before turning back or just finish the loop..... Great views. Good beginner trail.