Oat Hill Mine Trail

Oat Hill Mine Trail is a 14.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Calistoga, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 14.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,417 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Some of the best hard rock mountain biking in the entire Bay Area. I recommend taking it all the way to Aetna Springs and focus on the cooler months. Views in the backside (east side) can be just as stunning as the Napa Valley side. Poison oak can be cruel here, I know first hand, wash immediately after exit if you can.

Suggestion: Go to mile marker 4 and then turn around. The start of this hike is beautiful. Interesting terrain, great vineyard views, steady / moderate climb, and overall quite nice. The niceness continues about half mile past mile marker 4, at which point you’ll meet the Pallisades Trail. The AllTrails map will then take you 2.5 miles further through flat and boring terrain without any views. Most strangely, the “end” of the trail is just a fork in the trail but no real destination. Must admit, it was a disappointing end. This also ended up being about 14 miles for me round trip so a little longer than what the description suggested. Lastly, bring tons of water. If you decide to brave the mid-day sun I would recommend at least 3 liters per person if you are doing the entire round trip.

The trail is not too difficult, just a steady long climb. There are some rocky sections, but also not very challenging to walk over.

Great hike with Leila the German Shepherd dog.

It’s a hard trail if you’re a beginner, but only because it gets steep and rocky about the third mile heading up. Beautiful views!! Great to bring dogs! Lots of shade!

I would have rated it 5 stars but I wish the end had more of something to see. A view, a waterfall, or a mine?? Nonetheless it was a very beautiful hike with extraordinary views and neat geology.

Wildflowers are everywhere!! Trail in great shape. A few trees down across the trail, but the small landslides were removed. Hike while its still cool April/May weather. This trail as a lot of exposure in the summer.

recorded Recording - Feb 23, 04:10 PM

perfect trail conditions.

Super fun trail! I took the lower section into the Palisades Trail, but unfortunately got lost halfway through and found myself back at the Oat Hill Mine Trail. I continued up to the top, but instead of continuing to the road i turned right at the last mile and continued up the hill to some gorgeous sights. Certainly a fantastic hike that will kick your butt if you are not in shape, but quite tough on the descent due to the rocks- my pace had to slow quite a bit during certain sections to ensure i didn’t twist an ankle. Overall i will take friends here to show the incredible Palisades as the hike is not overly strenuous.

We did this on a Saturday in early February. it was a light rain most of the day and opened up into heavy wind and hail around the 5th mile. We turned around a bit after the 6th mile marker. After the hail stopped, the wind blew the clouds and mist away which gave up some gorgeous views of the area. Be aware that rains cause large portions of the trail to be muddy or actively flowing! I'm not sure this should be rated a hard hike. It's a steady uphill ascent but it's a fairly gentle grade and we were never really strained going up. I'd say this is more of an easy to moderate hike for people who are used to hiking.

Lots of water on the trail after all the storms! A few down trees across the trail great honey

Sun Dec 09 2018

Long distance, moderately difficult with some good views.

Sun Nov 25 2018

This trail has great views! It is worth walking uphill!!!

Sun Oct 14 2018

Really enjoyed this hike today - even though it was pretty warm! It begins in the madrone forest so stays cool. And then it just goes up. I turned around at mile 5 but would say from mike 3-4.5 was the most interesting! Views and geology are amazing. Wish I’d brought my binoculars as there were many birds in the morning. Also note that app says the trail Is 6 miles to the end but the trail markers and map say it’s 8 miles.

Sat Oct 13 2018

Hiked this in September. We turned around shortly after the 4 mile marker because of the time . A good portion of the hike is wooded so a lot of shade . It opens up to a meadow area and the trail has a continuous incline in elevation. The views of the valley are awesome and although we were there on a Saturday morning, there was very little traffic on the trail. A few runners and a handful of other fellow hikers . Great trail!

Fri Sep 28 2018

One of our favorite hikes, we do it every time we visit the area.

Fri Aug 31 2018

I still have dreams of this beautiful trail!