Oat Hill Mine Trail is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Calistoga, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Really enjoyed this hike today - even though it was pretty warm! It begins in the madrone forest so stays cool. And then it just goes up. I turned around at mile 5 but would say from mike 3-4.5 was the most interesting! Views and geology are amazing. Wish I’d brought my binoculars as there were many birds in the morning.
Also note that app says the trail
Is 6 miles to the end but the trail markers and map say it’s 8 miles.

Hiked this in September. We turned around shortly after the 4 mile marker because of the time . A good portion of the hike is wooded so a lot of shade . It opens up to a meadow area and the trail has a continuous incline in elevation. The views of the valley are awesome and although we were there on a Saturday morning, there was very little traffic on the trail. A few runners and a handful of other fellow hikers . Great trail!

One of our favorite hikes, we do it every time we visit the area.

I still have dreams of this beautiful trail!

One of my favorite trails in Northern California!

Beautiful hike! I did the first four miles up Oat Mine trail, it is CLOSED from that point forward through September 23 due to wildfire risk. You can turn left though and continue on Palisades trail, which I did for an additional mile- this affords you some cool views looking back down on the trail you came up. Also about a half mile down Palisades there is a cool sort of cave that makes for a shaded lunch spot. Otherwise pretty sunny trail especially after the first few miles so bring lots of water and go early. I did my hike from 10-3 pm in August and it was really hot on the way down. Parking at the trail head is free but quite limited - I had no problem finding a spot but imagine it’s more popular in the cooler months.

I loved this hike/run. Having read many disparate reviews of this trail without full context, two disclaimers: 1. I only had two hours, so I had to turn around after about four miles (eight miles round trip) and 2. I do a lot of trail running/races which include lots of elevation and rough terrain. That said, I thought this was an easy trail, elevation changes were mostly very manageable if not easy. Trail was well marked (there are numerous spurs, but it is very obvious they are spurs to intermittent high points to get a view) and the surface was almost perfect for trail running with the expected exposed rock and roots along the way to add a welcomed degree of difficulty to keep it interesting. The views were awesome! From interesting rock formations to sweeping views of the valley to fantastic views of the surrounding mountains and canyons this trail offers a visual treat. Lots of opportunity to hike up to different peaks to see a variety of views. Also, seeing the ruts in the rock of old wagon wheels was really cool. Just imagining miners making the trek in mule pulled wagons up this trail is facinating.
Regrettably, I did not make it quite to the Holm's homestead, but definitely will the next time I am in Napa. I would highly recommend this trail to anyone, but especially trail runners who want elevation gain. If you are not accustomed to hiking/trail running, this is still a great trail, but just be prepared and be realistic about your physical conditioning. A few things to keep in mind. First, there is very limited parking at the base of this trail. If you do not get there early, I would suggest parking toward Calistoga and walking over. Second, I would suggest starting early as I am sure it gets very warm later in the day and the only water will be what you bring. Third, definitely take the time to hike up some of the separate spurs from the trail for additional views. This trail, compared to Bothe and the Robert Louis Stevenson Trail to the Mt. St. Helena peak, is far superior in my opinion. Views are just as good as Mt. St. Helena and although you do not have the redwoods of Bothe, there are a lot of trees and beautiful rock formations. I also saw lots of wildlife (fortunately, no mountain lions!) including a large jack rabbit that sat patiently as I fumbled with my iPhone to take several pictures of him from about five feet away. To sum up, great trail, awesome views, and a great workout! Have fun and be safe! Go Billikens!

We were looking for a reasonably challenging hike with great views that we could do in under two hours. While no way to make the entire trail that quick, it was perfect, with a wide, well groomed trail through at least the first two miles. Super close to downtown Calistoga. Looking forward to going back to do the full trail.

This is easily one of the best trails in the area. Killer views the whole way, and at the top an absolutely amazing lookout spot perfect for sitting on a rock and having some lunch. Very fun for hiking and mountain biking. On the way down you can go extremely fast on your bike without having to worry about it being too technical.

An all day hike. The fall and spring are the best times for this trail.

Rocky trail, very pretty

The scenery is amazing and the miles are long - start early and bring sunscreen!

Awesome trail and views. Dog friendly off the leash. We did the 4miles one and was espectacular!

We only had time to hike 4 miles but the views were so nice.

By far one of my favorite hikes around the valley. It does get crowded on weekends so get there early. Trail is a bit rocky and is a good climb but levels out once you get to the ridge. Good all year long, but bring lots of water and sun protection on hot days.

What’s left of Holm’s homestead is a bit if a let down but this hike was amazing and I would definitely do it again. The views were spectacular. Trail was very rocky and lots of mountain bikers. Mile marker 4 has the best view.

Great Hike. Mountain Bikes also use this trail. No definite summit or peak. Old wagon wheel marks visible in the rocks on the way up. Great views nonetheless.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

I wouldn't call this trail hard per se, but it is quite technical and fairly long. The uphill is gradual, but extended.

The views around mile 5 are out of this world, and worth the trek up! Wear good, sturdy boots because the upper portion (after mile 4) gets very rocky and uneven. This is a classic ankle - breaker!

Watch your step, but don't forget to take a look at the awesome scenery. Calistoga gets warm quick, so start early in the day for an enjoyable hike.

The earlier you get there, the easier it is to find parking. The trailhead only has room for about eight cars!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

We did the first 4.5 miles starting at about 9 in the morning. By the 4.5 mile mark it was getting hot and the shade was gone and my dog was not enjoying the hot sun so we turned around. There were still lots of wild flowers, awesome views and plenty of shade the first and last 3 miles. You can still see wagon wheel ruts in the trail and we enjoyed the flowers and views. There were some mountain bikers and trail runners and they were all polite and respectful. I kept the dog on the leash as it is a bad year for ticks and there is lots of poison oak off the trail. It also kept her from bothering the runners and bikers.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Lovely hike, steadily uphill (but not sharply so) with some nice scenery. First 3 miles are mostly shaded. I only went 4 miles due to time constraints. Trail is rocky—glad I had hiking boots so I wouldn't turn an ankle.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Steep uphill at the start moderates about the 1 mile mark.

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Awesome hike first part is somewhat hot but you get random bits of shade throughout. Best view is a little after the fourth mile! Breathtaking views there. But from mile 4.5-6.2 not much going on honestly if you're not up for the whole thing hike to mile 4.5, soak it all in.. Then go back. Also good hike for dogs but right after mile 4 it gets rocky for a bit.. But me and my pooch made it! Fantastic hike!

Saturday, October 01, 2016

One of my favorites. Great hike/trail run. Low traffics after mile three and great views.

Friday, July 01, 2016

Hot, rugged and rocky but worth it for the views and Pallisades

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Trail is uphill the whole way, but a nice, moderate incline with plenty of shade along the way. I hiked until the trail split off to the Palisades trail, ate lunch and admired the view, then came back down. All in all I believe I took about 5-6 hours to complete the hike. The views of the valley and the palisades are beautiful. Next time when I have more time I'd like to do it as part of the greater Palisades/Mount Saint Helena hike. Definitely recommend!

Sunday, April 24, 2016

*Be mindful to stay on the main trail, otherwise you encounter a LOT of poison oak. This was a wonderful hike, we went fairly early in the morning, didn't see a lot of people, walked a few miles, would definitely recommend.

Friday, May 01, 2015

This is a nice hike but not too intense. It is a steady climb that is certainly a moderate or above level. Fortunately, the incline begins right away so beginners won't get too far before they realize they are in over their heads. There are numerous trails that lead off the main one but still get you to the top. A constant view of the valley helps you decide which of the trails to take as there are few markings. For some reason, people think that leash laws don't apply to them so be prepared for dogs running up to say hello.

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Our first attempt at this trail, and only made it about halfway due to a late start on the day. Still, it is one of the more beautiful, scenic hikes in Napa Valley. It is solidly a moderately difficult trail as it is steadily uphill from the valley, albeit at a very temperate incline. The trail is mostly wide enough for easy passing, though it is rocky with loose rock, so wearing good hiking shoes is a must. The trail is well maintained. It winds in and out of shade, so is very comfortable. The vistas as you climb are incredible, getting up high enough that you can look all the way down Napa Valley. We're really looking forward to going the full distance one day soon. Very highly recommended.

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Enjoyed this hike. Easy to Moderate difficulty. Watch out for bikes. The trail is narrow and they come down fast. Wear good trail shoes as their are lots of fist sized loose rocks. Great views of Calistoga. Equal areas of sun and shade. Definitely recommend to anyone looking for a relatively easy hike to see the expansive views. Parking for about 8 cars.