Oat Hill Mine Trail is a 14.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Calistoga, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 14.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,417 feet Route Type: Out & Back

To prevent the spread of COVID-19 there is currently no vehicle access to this trail or others in the park. See here for more info: https://napaoutdoors.org/covid-19/

Decent views with a very manageable incline. A well maintained trail, although poison oak prevalent throughout. Many wildflowers are still in bloom with diverse habits along the way keeping the trail interesting. Great for trail running.

Not so much a difficult trail as it is very long. After seven and a half miles I saw a black bear peek out of the bushes. I screamed 'Holy Shit!' and it ran back into the trees while I sprinted for the trailhead-3 hours away. Start early, bring plenty of water, and bring a friend to sacrifice to the wildlife.

Awsome trail. I started hicking @7AM, it was perfect weather when I returned. Beautiful views.

I went on this trail on 3/13/20 and it was still open. There are just signs posted saying to do social distancing. This is a steady uphill trail and very rocky. Make sure you have hiking shoes! I do not and my feet were hurting on the way down. I got to the 3.5 mile mark to see a beautiful view point with large rocks. Some shaded areas along with very sunny areas. Bring a hat and sunscreen!

The trail was open as of this week and pretty wide paths to keep distance along the main trail. We took a little detour though along Widow Maker and Bald Hill, which are quite steep, very narrow, and a bit technical but awesome viewpoint at the top. We turned back about halfway since we took that more difficult section, we were pretty beat. If you want to finish this one to the end, I would recommend not taking any of the side trails.

Its a straight gentle up or down, not much variation. Great views.! The trail will be muddy and SLIPPERY during the wet season but otherwise its wide (occasionally a power maintenance vehicle will share the trail) and clear so a good option when taking your dog (no ticks to worry about). Some rocks. For a full day hike (5-6hrs) connect to Palisades and continue on the Table rock trail otherwise, turn around at the merge for a nice 2.5-3hr R/T. It can be a little windy. Prefer the hike to Table Rock at the other end better but this trail starts from town at intersection of Silverado and Lincoln Ave. so easy to get to by Uber. Parking area holds just a few cars

My experience is that this trail is only hard on your *feet* because you’re constantly negotiating rock scrabble. Otherwise it’s a fairly straightforward uphill climb for the 4.5 miles we did. The best and most dramatic geologic scenery is between miles 3 and 4.5. The Holm place is a nice shady spot if you’ve brought a picnic lunch.

Started in Calistoga and went to the Palisades junction. There is water and mud on the trail so Gore tex is recommended :-) Very passable and gorgeous views though! Highly recommend. And yes, we found lots of ticks on the dog!

So many ticks on the dog. Difficult hike but rewarding!

Some of the best hard rock mountain biking in the entire Bay Area. I recommend taking it all the way to Aetna Springs and focus on the cooler months. Views in the backside (east side) can be just as stunning as the Napa Valley side. Poison oak can be cruel here, I know first hand, wash immediately after exit if you can.

Suggestion: Go to mile marker 4 and then turn around. The start of this hike is beautiful. Interesting terrain, great vineyard views, steady / moderate climb, and overall quite nice. The niceness continues about half mile past mile marker 4, at which point you’ll meet the Pallisades Trail. The AllTrails map will then take you 2.5 miles further through flat and boring terrain without any views. Most strangely, the “end” of the trail is just a fork in the trail but no real destination. Must admit, it was a disappointing end. This also ended up being about 14 miles for me round trip so a little longer than what the description suggested. Lastly, bring tons of water. If you decide to brave the mid-day sun I would recommend at least 3 liters per person if you are doing the entire round trip.

Sun Jun 02 2019

Sun Jun 02 2019

Fri May 24 2019

Mon May 06 2019

The trail is not too difficult, just a steady long climb. There are some rocky sections, but also not very challenging to walk over.

Fri May 03 2019

Great hike with Leila the German Shepherd dog.

Tue Apr 30 2019

It’s a hard trail if you’re a beginner, but only because it gets steep and rocky about the third mile heading up. Beautiful views!! Great to bring dogs! Lots of shade!

Sat Apr 13 2019

I would have rated it 5 stars but I wish the end had more of something to see. A view, a waterfall, or a mine?? Nonetheless it was a very beautiful hike with extraordinary views and neat geology.

Sat Apr 13 2019

Wildflowers are everywhere!! Trail in great shape. A few trees down across the trail, but the small landslides were removed. Hike while its still cool April/May weather. This trail as a lot of exposure in the summer.

Sat Apr 06 2019

recorded Recording - Feb 23, 04:10 PM

Sat Feb 23 2019

perfect trail conditions.

Fri Feb 22 2019

Super fun trail! I took the lower section into the Palisades Trail, but unfortunately got lost halfway through and found myself back at the Oat Hill Mine Trail. I continued up to the top, but instead of continuing to the road i turned right at the last mile and continued up the hill to some gorgeous sights. Certainly a fantastic hike that will kick your butt if you are not in shape, but quite tough on the descent due to the rocks- my pace had to slow quite a bit during certain sections to ensure i didn’t twist an ankle. Overall i will take friends here to show the incredible Palisades as the hike is not overly strenuous.

Mon Feb 11 2019

We did this on a Saturday in early February. it was a light rain most of the day and opened up into heavy wind and hail around the 5th mile. We turned around a bit after the 6th mile marker. After the hail stopped, the wind blew the clouds and mist away which gave up some gorgeous views of the area. Be aware that rains cause large portions of the trail to be muddy or actively flowing! I'm not sure this should be rated a hard hike. It's a steady uphill ascent but it's a fairly gentle grade and we were never really strained going up. I'd say this is more of an easy to moderate hike for people who are used to hiking.