Oakzanita Peak Trail

Oakzanita Peak Trail is a 5.4 mile out and back trail located near Descanso, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,158 feet Route Type: Out & Back

recorded Oakzanita Peak Trail

Great hike. Creek is running. Nobody else out here!!!

Great trail and somewhat unique for the San Diego area. Did it on a cloudy day and will need to come back when it’s clear. Does anyone know what the iron bars at the top of the mountain are for?

Great trail with beautiful views! Last time we hiked it, it was December and we couldn't see ANYTHING from the top because of thick heavy fog. Today was totally different - amazing views. It's a little overgrown in some parts but the trail is still easy to follow. Though the thermometer in the car read "90," there were some passing clouds which unexpectedly provided some shade along the way and the heat did not feel too oppressive.

Really enjoyed a hike here yesterday. Trail is a bit overgrown due to the wet winter and spring but the foliage provides lots of shade for the first 2/3 of the trail until you near the top. Babbling brook and many great view points. No one else on the trail out or back! Did get attacked by lots of flying ants at the very top so didn’t stay long but otherwise hike was great.

Tried to hike it this morning, but had to turn around near the halfway mark because we saw fresh mountain lion tracks and feces. Called the park ranger and he advised to turn around because they had an aggressive mountain lion on a nearby trail on the other side of Highway 78 2 days before. Other than that, that part that we did get to do was nice. I definitely want to head back and try again at some point.

I’ve driven past this trailhead 100 times and never thought about it. Saw a post about it in a hiking group and decided to give it a try, and I’m so glad I did! This trail really has all the good stuff you could want in a trail. Not too far to drive yet, only a few people on a Saturday. Lush grassy meadows, some cool shady spots, flower lined single track trail, a few water crossings and the sounds of a babbling creek on a large part of trail. A satisfying elevation gain with a fantastic 360 view on the boulder peak. Glad we wore our boots as there’s plenty of loose, Sharp rocks on the switchbacks. Most of the trail is exposed so I wouldn’t want to be here in summer heat. This could be an easy option for snowy hike in winter too. We absolutely loved this hike!

What a great hike. Ran into a couple coming down and a few people at parking ready to go, but it’s a solitary hike, my favorite!!!! Started early and enjoyed bfast at the summit!!! New fave!

Trail definitely delivered with many beautiful wildflowers! There were so many different kinds of plants and flowers, and it seemed like everything was in bloom. The first half of the ascent is along a small creek, which is great. The views from the peak are gorgeous. We also stopped after down the road at Descanso Junction for a post hike beer, and the atmosphere and food looked amazing. We will be back!

Truly awesome hike. Steady incline well maintained trail. Did near sunset and saw only a quail, had the place to myself.

Very nice hike. Spring weather made this hike particularly pleasant, as did the wildflowers and running water at the bottom. Trail was lightly travelled, we ran into 3 or 4 groups coming down as we were heading up with no one going up as we were heading down. The grade was very manageable and the trail was well maintained. I imagine that in the summer it can get pretty hot and there's not a lot of shade along the way.

Great trail, really cool temps this time of year and the view was great: well maintained and very low traffic.

Started the hike shortly after 11am and reached the peak around 12:30pm. I was the only person on the trail. Still a fair amount of snow on the trail in some spots, which can make for slippery footing at times. Views from the peak were exceptional. Overall, a solid workout of a hike that has great views throughout.

Great hike when there is snow in the mountains! They closed the road to Cuyamaca so this was my only option and it ended up being a great hike!

Great hike, nice views, not strenuous, trail well maintained and easy to navigate through.

Excellent hike!! Great clear trail! A large tree has fallen across the trail at the beginning! No way around had to go under! Views from peak are amazing! Even a view of Downtown San Diego, Point Loma, Ocean and more!

nice easy climb, gorgeous views at the top. unpopulated.

Started early, 8 am and it was chilly/breezy (November). Great hike for beginners since the trail isn't too steep. I only saw 5 other people when I was coming down from the peak. The peak is amazing when on top of the boulder with fantastic views in all directions (very windy, so glad I had my sweatshirt to put on at the top). I started on the Upper Descanso Creek trail to get to Oakzanita trail... will do this again but take the fireroad down for a longer hike (working my way up to longer hikes).

Hiked on a Sunday in November, started at 9am. We had the peak to ourselves, in fact only saw 4 other small groups the entire morning. We had shade for 80% of it, starting early helped with that. beautiful view that went on for miles!

Monday, October 08, 2018

Good morning hike. Incline route all the way to the top. Not crowded. Overall good for beginners with great views from the top.

Monday, September 10, 2018

Nice short hike with some great views. There are a few breaks from the sun as you pass through some valleys, but there is a lot of exposure. Not a lot of traffic which is always nice.

Saturday, August 18, 2018

This hike was okay. The views from the peak were nice but the trail itself wasn't very pretty. Lots of overgrowth. Steady climb the whole way, nothing very steep and few flat parts. Thought we would escape the heat but it wasn't the case. Very little shade but nice breeze towards the top. Not a hike we would do again and again.

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Great hike! Moderate difficulty, well-maintained path and lovely views from the top.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Overall the trail was nice and just about moderate. However, today (May 28 2018) there were millions of bugs around. Great views from the peak! Took me about 2 hours out & back.

Sunday, May 06, 2018

Pretty walk. Great views. Enjoyed a lot.

Sunday, May 06, 2018

Great trail. Maybe I missed something but we clocked 8.5 on gps. Was a real nice hike with good elevation gain.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Parking right by the trailhead. Only saw two humans the entire time. Did the hike round trip in 2:40 at a leisurely pace with a few rests. Sick view at the top.

Thursday, April 12, 2018

This is a nice hike- but beware of ticks right now. Nice views while on the trail but the best is on the top