Oak Oasis Open Space Preserve

Oak Oasis Open Space Preserve is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lakeside, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Located directly across the street from the el cap trailhead this is a hidden gem! Perfect hike for kiddos! Beautiful lake views!

Great place to work out. I’ve only run into 1 person. And the view is so pretty. I can workout t my comfort level and push myself without any concern. Plenty of shade and signs to stay on trails! I enjoy this place very much!!!

Great trail for my husband and I and our 1 year old dog. Loved the view of the lake! Most of the trail was easy but there was a couple inclines that affected my breathing. This was our first hike in a long time and really enjoyed it. We are in our mid 60s and would recommend to others.

Great hike!! Was easy enough to take two dogs and a toddler. There was some parts about halfway that were a little rocky and steep.

Id rate this trail as easy although there were short sections that were steep and rocky. But those sections are too short to make this trail above and easy rating.

It was a Quiet but came across 30 people and 5 dogs. It was busy. Trail is mostly cleared and all of it can be ridden. Short vertical section on the west side. This is NOT lake Jennings. The map is clear what is what if you take the time to study it.

Nice view of Lake Jennings! More difficult than rated with several gains in elevation. Lots of rocks, sandy washouts on trail. Hiking poles would have been helpful. Only saw one other human!

Great views. I was the only on the trail - super peaceful.

Moderate inclines and descents, plenty of shady places. The trail was mostly sand with more rocky terrain as you gain altitude. Very nice view of the lake.

So beautiful

I've hiked at Oakoasis a few times, it's not busy and has a great view of San Vicente reservoir. I found an ammo box near viewpoint - geocaching and a purple rock from Santee Rocks Facebook.

I hiked this with 2 kids and a dog and it was pretty fun. It does get hot though so bring a hat!

Nice short hike. Pretty views of the lake

Monday, July 03, 2017

The trail is an easy walk of about an hour. The duration of your hike will mainly depend on how often you stop to capture the breathtaking landscape and the many wildflowers.

The trail mainly leads through shrubs. Along the way you constantly hear the bees humming. There is always a shaded section that lets you cool down. Still gets toasty, bring water.

Around halfway point is a short stretch where the trail goes up and especially down pretty steep. Shortly after you'll find yourself paving your way through a meadow, the trail almost disappears.

Tip: if you go to the spot where we started, that's the trail head with parking and restroom. It's right off of the main road. Not sure what the spot is that AllTrail has.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Lovely trail, although I was worried about the signs stipulating that there was a possibility of encountering mountain lions. The trail is pretty high up along the mountainside so when you get to the promise land (view of the lake) you've got some decent, elevated, breathtaking views.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Easy walk with views of varied landscape including boulders, cactus and desert, creek, reservoir.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Some parts swampy, some parts desert. Saw a ton of little frogs, some lizards, hawks, and great view of the reservoir halfway through. Maybe a quarter of the trail had shade but otherwise sunny. Great hike overall

Saturday, April 15, 2017

A lot more tree cover than expected. Beautiful walk in spring.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

I'll tell you what, it's magical during the spring ✨ You've got pink, yellow, and purple wildflowers blooming, a running creek, a waterfall, and the lake lookout! It's truly a hidden gem.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Love this trail, very scenic and serene. Got a little muddy at times but no big deal. There's a big parking lot so no issue there. There's also shade throughout the hike and the scenic point halfway through is beautiful. Very easy hike, would definitely go again.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Easy hike. Very nice scenery. Some cool geocaches along the trail.

Monday, March 06, 2017

The recent rains made this an incredible hike. Perfect for my two grandkids. Nothing like getting a little muddy when your a kid. Would have given it a 5 but it was too short for me.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Did this today with a 3 and 5 year old and had a great time. Just challenging enough, lots of variety of things to see. A beautiful outlook over a lake. We had a ball!

Thursday, February 09, 2017

Very fun, easy trail. I went with my boyfriend and there was so much to explore. Some areas were incredibly green and other areas looked more desert like, the entire trail was gorgeous. We found a beautiful spot over looking the lake to eat our sandwiches and while we were eating we saw a Bald Eagle! We had so much fun and will definitely being going back!

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

This trail has different "scenes" which is enchanting. The view of the reservoir is beautiful.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

I have been going on this trail for over 20 years. Some can say I grew up on this trail. It's the best trail if you have a couple hours and need to get out and get some fresh air and not feel like you are going to die after. It's great for horseback riding as well. Just look for snakes and people enjoying themselves on there horses and you'll be just fine.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Very easy hike, good for families. Very minimal inclines with rocks. The trail is just a loop. Most of the way you are surrounded by high shrubs so don't see anything, but once you reach the top there is a great view of the lake. Lots of rocks to climb along the loop. The first time we tried this trail our dog got some kind of thorn in his foot and couldn't walk, so we had to turn back. Came back another day without him to finish the loop. We did see a lot of dogs on this trail so it is dog friendly. Not sure I would do it again because it was a little too easy but seems great for families.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

It was nice. At first you couldn't see any scenery because the shrubs around the trail were super high, but the garther you go, the more open it got. The view of the lake was beautiful.

Monday, October 03, 2016

I hike and ride horses there often. Great trail for a quick cardio workout or just to take your time and enjoy the scenery

Monday, September 12, 2016

Super fun and easy, perfectly shaded

Saturday, June 11, 2016

RATTLESNAKES! This hike had a rattlesnake right on the trail- almost at the beginning. Not that you can judge a trail by that of course, but it is the perfect habitat for snakes so beware! It is extremely hot and has a lot of rocks. There is an amazing view about halfway through the trail, though. I don't recommend taking your old, small dog like we did, though. The sand in the trail was too hot for her!