Oak Canyon to Grasslands Trail

Oak Canyon to Grasslands Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail comes to life if you hike just after a rain. The oak creek babbles it’s way to the San Diego River watershed. It’s quite a joy to see the small waterfalls in action.

Very beautifully preserved area! Easy hike/walk. Plenty of dogs!

A really mild, relaxing hike! There is plenty of nature and rolling hills to see. Not much incline, and there is a pond at the base of the hike!

Today about 8:30-8:45 am, my 14-year-old son and I were in Oak Canyon South (just a bit beyond the first bridge after the Grasslands junction) when we encountered a pack (5-6) of large coyotes. Two crossed immediately (about 5 feet) in front of my son, going into the brush on our left side, while the rest of them were above us on the right side. One of these stood looking down at us. I was surprised that they didn't seem afraid of us, so to be on the safe side we backtracked out of the trail. It was a cool experience, but unnerving at the time. I enjoy this trail and we will be back.

Uneventful hike.

Very pretty and very easy. Perfect for kids.

This is a short, fun but rocky trail.... I will return after a good rain so I can see the water flowing!

Don’t overlook the easy trails if it is beautiful scenery that you seek! I got some really dope pics here. This trail was peaceful on a weekday morning and I found the solitude that I was craving.

Extremely crowded trail but I still agree that it's a nice hike. Not a good one with the dog if you have a nervous dog like mine.

Nice mix of easy walking and some inclines. There wasn’t much water throughout but the beautiful rock formations and variety of flat open spaces and bush laden trails was totally worth it! While there were a fair amount of folks at the trail, the space is large enough that it was still peaceful.

This is NOT even close to 6 miles. It was 4 for me, but I included a long walk down Father Junipero Serro road. How strange! This is definitely an easy hike and pretty dry right now :/ The oaks are always fun to walk under and the rocky areas are worth climbing. Not my favorite hike ... but it’s local. I added the screenshot of the miles in the photo section (if anyone was curious)

Sunday, November 26, 2017

It says it is 6.8 miles but I didn't get that many miles when I did the trail. It was less than 5 miles according to the trail I followed. Did anyone else get a different distance?

Monday, October 09, 2017

not a lot of shade but nice rocky walk. not much beyond the north/south fortuna intersection ( under 52 hwy trail).

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Perfect for us first timers :) Two adults and three kids (3, 6, and 9) all greatly enjoyed the trail.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Mission Trails Regional Park has been our backyard view since 1981. Today was the first time on this trail❤️

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Poor !

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Nice walk along wooded creek. Vegetation, flowers and breeze are nice. Caution: Trail that parallels Hwy 52 is actually an unimproved 4WD trail that is much more vertical up and down than contour intervals indicate. Loose rocks and steepness make hike more than a little challenging.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

There was a good variety of trails of varying length and difficulty level. The river area was amazing. The wildflowers were beautiful. I would avoid this hike in the summer. Be aware that the long paved path (Father Junipera Serra) does not lead to the better elements of the hike.

Friday, April 07, 2017

Fun trail this time of year with flowing water down the canyon and lots of wildflowers (and a couple of rattlesnakes, so beware). Distance is not 6.8--it is more like 3,5 from this starting point, at most. Fun hike

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Great little trail.. really nice with the sounds of rushing water and birds chirping

Sunday, March 26, 2017

This is a scenic hike that's easy so it's great for beginners. It starts at Old Mission Dam and the creek running alongside Oak Canyon Trail adds to to scenery of the hike.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Beautiful hike! Easy trail but watch for trail markers. You could easily go off on one of the other trails/loops if you are not paying attention or know where you are going. You can hear the creek water the whole first half of the hike. :)
I'm not sure why it says it is a 6.8 mile hike. I followed the trail and it is actually 4.7 miles.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Really awesome place to go hike. They have trails for everyone. I find it really easy to park outside the visitor center and walk towards the dam. Best part is when you first arrive you see these huge rocks, if you walk down the dam trail you actually find a trail that leads you to these rocks you can climb.

Friday, March 10, 2017

Beautiful after the rain!

Friday, March 03, 2017

Beautiful area and a peaceful hike.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Did this trail a few wks back and it was wonderful with all the water flowing from the recent rain. Wondering if anyone has been this wk and know if it is closed due to rain???

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Love this hike. It's peaceful

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Not too hard of a hike but it was very beautiful! Moderate to easy walk very rocky so not for little dogs, but still really awesome!

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Great hike close to San Diego. Lots of options.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Nice hike, pretty flat with no shade most of the time so make sure to bring lots of water