North View and Maze Trails

North View and Maze Trails is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Twentynine Palms, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from September until May.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 685 feet Route Type: Loop

North View trail had great views and lots of interesting rocks and terrain. Maze Loop portion was not that exciting. Not sure why they call it the Maze. Trail was easy to follow.

I passed through so many different varieties of scenery on this hike- flats, little switchbacks, sand washes. the views of the mountains and the desert looking North are spectacular. the trail is for the most part well-marked and identifiable however at the beginning it is very easy to take the North View part of the trail when in reality you are intending to stay on the maze Loop. but don't panic some excellent signage by the fire service tells you exactly where you are and gives you the option on the last leg to take the maze loop back to the parking lot or to extend your hike through the window part of the trail. just take plenty of water cuz it does get hot even now in October and give yourself plenty of time. I will definitely do this hike again

Nice, moderate hike that took roughly three hours (going clockwise). Enjoyed the desert flora and animals.

Ended up doing just the North View Trail. Went clockwise. So, we had nice rolling hills to start off with and a steady decline to finish. Went out to catch the sunrise. We didn’t get to see it but we were pleasantly surprised by the light coming over the rocky formations. Also, saw a good amount of animals. The hills gave great shade to what could have been a notoriously hot couple hours.

I took the advice of another hiker and went clock ways around. It was a beautiful view and a stunning sunrise! I loved that there was so much animal activity this early in the morning. It was worth get up early for.

Hike date:June 10th. We started this trail at sunrise. 20 minutes into the hike temperature was climbing 15 degrees warmer. Highly recommend going clockwise. You’ll see nice rock formations from the start. The last 2 miles are flat and sandy. This is a moderate easy trail. We came across 1 desert turtle, and plenty of desert mice, jack rabbits, and dessert lizards. There’s a lot to look at on this trail.

One of my favorites in JTNP.

Great trail - well marked. Hiked 7:30 am on Memorial Day and had trail all to ourselves.

Great hike. Absolutely beautiful views, wasn't prepared for the inclines though. At points, a little difficult to determine actual trail. Will happily do again.

One of my favorite hikes in JT. Last 2 hikes here I've spotted a Desert Tortoise. Yap, wildflowers are still looking good.

Great hike. Started with the Northview side. Great views over the mountains and valley. Spectacular rock formations and wildflowers . Highly recommend

Wow. Started out 20 mins before sunrise. Headed clockwise. . .glad I read reviews about getting the hard part out of the way, as it felt off that I was headed down so quick. Sure enough. Cut up (straight up) and got back on the trail. Amazing views. Flowers were beautiful. Recommend the two side trail to the view points. Next time I’ll come back via maze trail instead of the outside maze trail loop. The last 2 miles was flat sand. Pretty but not the same as the first sections. Highly recommend.

Great hiking trail, quiet with lots of wildlife and flowers in bloom. Very well marked. Definitely recommend!

We hit the trail at 8:30 am in late March. It took us just over 3 hours. We only saw two other people the whole time. This trail has great varety, a bit of up and down, beautiful vistas, narrow rock paths, sandy washes, lot’s of joshua trees. We saw a lot of beautiful wildflowers, not blankets, but frequent small patches. If you want to avoid the more crowded trails and get a good experience of what Joshua Tree has to offer, this trail should be on your list. I would do it again.

We did the trail clockwise so starting with the North View side. It was pretty challenging so we're glad we got it done first. the rest of the trail was much easier. The highlight of the trail was seeing an adult tortoise.

Last 2.5 miles of the trail has nothing to see.

This well-marked trail was just right: a challenge at the beginning (going clockwise from the trailhead) with rock scrambling available if you wanted to get great camera shots from higher up, and no worries about getting lost as the trail was well-travelled with arrow markers along the way (10.4 kms by my Fitbit). Bring a hat, sunscreen, lip balm, long pants and long sleeves if you want to avoid the sun as there isn’t much shade to speak of. So many beautiful views and lots of plants blooming at this time of year. Loved it!

Tue Dec 04 2018

Beautiful and well marked hike! Just pay attention to the stone curbs that guide the way. We did the clockwise loop and enjoyed some fun up and downs on the North View trail with a short side walk up to the expansive Copper Mountain Viewpoint. The variety of plants and rock formations throughout was awesome. Once back to the Maze Loop, the trail becomes very easy. The east side of the Maze Loop was short but enjoyable, and Window Rock was very obvious from the side trail. The south side of Maze Loop is very wide and sandy, but otherwise the trail was mostly rocky and on solid ground. The last 1.5 miles runs parallel to the road, but the noise isn't too bad. Would totally do again.

Sun Nov 25 2018

Great views, awesome rock formations.

Sun Nov 11 2018

Beautiful hike with varied terrain, great views, and almost no one around. Highly recommend!

Sat Apr 21 2018

We went anti-clockwise on the north trail and came back through the centre along the maze loop trail. Lovely hike with great views. We did not see any other people the whole time. Lots of opportunities to scramble onto nearby mountains to get even greater views to the north. If you're looking for lots of Joshua Trees this isn't the greatest hike. Well marked trail, we had no issues at all. Wildflowers were just about to bloom...which was disappointing for us but exciting for the next few weeks!

Tue Mar 20 2018

Well marked and there are green blazes on rocks on the Maze Loop. I started before dawn on a Tuesday in March and had the whole thing to myself until the end. Northview is spectacular!

Mon Feb 26 2018

This place is really something to be experienced. I read a lot of write-ups on this loop saying how poorly marked the trail is, but I think many of those were outdated. Once you find the parking area at the trail head (located at mile marker 24 along Park Blvd) you will find good signage on the trail...the only challenge is to actually stay on the trail. There are rocks and branches that are strategically placed to guide you. As long as you are paying attention these are easy to spot. Regardless I would highly suggest a compass and map for this trail (my GPS failed about 20 yards from the car) People have gotten lost here and it has ended tragically, so why take any chances

Thu Dec 07 2017

Trail isn’t called the Maze for nothing but sides are marked with rocks.

Sat Apr 29 2017

A must do spring hike. the wildflowers are amazing. Not a lot of people on the trail. the trail head was not marked well like other places in the park, but keeps the crowds away.

Sun Jan 01 2017

Nice trail. We went clockwise, getting most of the elevation out of the way at the beginning. The trail meanders up and around lots of cool rock formations. Not overly crowded, even during the very crowded new year holiday. 4 stars instead of 5 because the last leg runs pretty close to the road so you can see and hear quite a few cars.

Mon May 30 2016

Beautiful hike. Parallels road at the end. Mostly just a walk but go in between boulders which you can climb pretty high when you get there. Easy to find. Nice desolate trail w no one on it on Memorial Day weekend. Fabulous. There is no elevation climb regardless of what I've seen written. Maybe a few hundred feet but if so its gradual so you don't notice. Beginning can be a bit tough as its like walkin on a beach (uneven sand) so the trail is a harder walk but nothing too difficult. More annoying than anything but it's brief. How can you be annoyed when you have this landscape around you?! Easily marked. Def a do over!

Wed Mar 16 2016

This is a great day hike. Lots of views to enjoy. I think it is more like 6.5 miles. Did not see anyone else on the trail today. The other trails in the park are very crowded this time of year.