Learn more

Beatson and Phantom Falls Loop is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Oroville, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.7 mi Elevation gain 895 ft Route type Loop

Wildlife

No shade

Description
Waypoints (2)

Phantom Falls is one of the prettiest in California, but it is hard to get to. Flows from first series of storms in fall and into spring. This hike visits 5 other waterfalls, too. Expect to see grazing cattle; they are generally safe, but give the occasional bull some space. Wildflowers best late Feb-April. The short stretch of trail to the top of Hollow Falls is narrow on on a cliff. It is not especially dangerous, but if you have a fear of heights you won't like it. Sunlight best on falls in early afternoon (many are facing west, and are in shade in the morning).

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (321)
Photos (483)
Recordings (177)
Completed (754)
Trisha Crawford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Jul 02 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeRocky

Way too many grasshoppers! Overgrown and hard to see where the trail was going. We didn’t go too far. I was afraid of getting lost. Lots of loose rocks.

Meshelle Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 15 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeOver grownRocky

I was there yesterday, although it was cool, I was a little surprised. The distance was much longer than trail marks stated, parts were overgrown, a shit ton of grasshoppers (I dont think I've ever seen so many). the views were beautiful but I wouldnt recommend taking a younger child unless you can carry then or have them in a pack.

Mandy Moen
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 14 2020
HikingBridge outBugsOff trailOver grownRockyWashed out

We went yesterday 6-12-2020 and that little 6.7 hike turned into 11 miles the trails were not marked and it was so over grown we had no clue where to go. Huge trees down. The grasshopper were sooo crazy. I just hoped one didn’t go into my mouth while walking there was so many hoping and flying with every step.

Alex Gomes
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 07 2020
HikingBugs

They said a lot of grasshoppers. There is a metric fuck ton of grasshoppers. Every step is a splash in a grasshopper puddle and they all jump at you. I’m not very bothered by bugs but this is a problem. Girlfriend insisted we turn around and try a different trail after just 10 minutes. I’ll give the trail a better review after we try it again in the fall.

Kameron Chase
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 05 2020
Hiking

Easily saw 20,000 grasshoppers along the trail which was pretty cool; however, the trail is completely over grown through the first canyon and trees have fallen and completely block the trail you definitely have to do a decent amount of bush wacking. The trail then disappears almost entirely in the second third of the back by the lake it was impossible to follow had to cut across the tall grass hills to find it again. Definitely would not do this hike again

Bill Boroski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 03 2020
HikingBugs

The crickets were in full mating frenzy and all over the trails. June is a bad time to scope this sitch out because of the lack of water and I felt bad because those cricket were thirsty.

Brooke Baker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu May 28 2020
Hiking

Trail was very over grown and hard to find in many areas. There are fallen trees that you have to crawl under in order to get pasted. Me and my friends got lost due to there not being a distinct trail. Would not recommend this time of year; waterfalls were pretty dried up. I will say this hike is a good workout though

Jeff McClure
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 25 2020
HikingBugsFeeNo shade

So I’ve hiked around Table Mountain my whole life, but never during this time of year. I found out why today! HOLY GRASSHOPPERS! They are everywhere. It’s very annoying. The was very little water at both Ravine Falls & Phantom Falls. No rain = very little water flow. If you do decide to go hike around this time of year, I suggest going early in the morning as it warms up and there is very little shade. This is definitely a spring or fall hike.

View Jeff's Recording
Alexa Rosalia
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon May 25 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeOff trailRocky

Went at the end of May. Pictures are very deceiving, everything is dry and waterfalls are small. Trail is very confusing, it is not a loop. You will get lost (I did). Crazy amount of grasshoppers jumping EVERYWHERE. Really ruined the hike.

David Jackson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 17 2020
HikingBlowdownBugsMuddyOff trailOver grownRockyScramble