North Rim Trail To Sierra Vista Point Loop

North Rim Trail To Sierra Vista Point Loop is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Jose, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

Awesome winter hike, but pack layers!! We took this trail on Saturday, Jan 12, 2019, which was overcast with a high of 60. In the winter months, the hills are nice and green, and although it had rained in San Jose all week, the trail wasn't at all muddy. The elevation change is steep but not overly so - I found this much easier than Mission Peak, for example. You get tremendous views of the valley, as well as the potential for spotting some animals (we saw both cows and pigs on our walk!).

As you're gaining elevation up to the Boccardo Loop, you'll feel pretty warm and so you may feel inclined to dress lightly. But the wind at the top of the trail is fierce and bone-chilling! I'd definitely pack a jacket and full pants. Also, the view from the top on Sierra Road is partially obstructed by a fence, so to get equally compelling views, I'd recommend walking to the top of Boccardo Spur and skipping the length of trail up to Sierra Vista.

Parking is plentiful in the park, and you can either park at Eagle Rock for free or park at the visitor center for $6 (except on holidays). There weren't many people on the trails and only two cyclists, so it is definitely high on my recommended list!

Nice and shady.

Great views of the Valley as you go up. Not too much shade so better to do this when it’s not so hot and not in mid afternoon like me, Oy! Enjoyed it though, heat and all!

NIce views towards the top. Steep enough to make you feel like you hiked. Don't like all the people or cars at the parking area. Just a bit too busy for me.

One of my favorite local hikes. Challenging but not overwhelming, gorgeous views of the South Bay and foothills. Parts of the trail higher up in the hills are very narrow, so be prepared to squeeze up against the hillside if a biker is headed your way (as the other side of the trail is often a steep hill or cliff down). There is very, very little shade along this hike so be prepared for the sun! I've only done it on cool and moderately warm days; I don't think I'd do it on a very hot day. I've seen multiple deer nearly every time I've done this hike.

Sunday, January 21, 2018