North Ridge Trail

North Ridge Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Redwood City, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Explore a section of the Bay Area Ridge Trail and hike through beautiful redwood groves in the Purisima Creek Redwooods Open Space Preserve.

honestly, not that great of a trail. There are one or two spots with decent views, but overall it's not amazing. about 2/3 of the way out to the end, you get a sweeping overlook that's pretty cool right before decending and climping back up to the the point at the end of the trail; I'd just stop there unless you'd just like the excercise.

The narrow trail that offshoots from the main trail is much easier and much more enjoyable to hike than the steep slope of the main trail. An enjoyable hike and nice views of half moon bay. There isn’t much at the end of the trail in terms of view or place to hang out.

Great out and back hike with some great views. Easy going down and a good workout going up. Mostly shaded with a good patch of sun half way in.

At the start there is a sign pointing the direction of the trail and other trails. It says to go left which is the road but if you go right it takes you to a nice little trail that will spit you back out on to the North Ridge trail.

Favorite trail thus far in Cali! Keep going back!
Great workout in gorgeous setting. Pockets of
sunshine interspersed with shady areas-nice mix.
I feel refreshed and uplifted from the spectacular
views, fresh air and very well maintained trail.

Quite good for a civilized hike.

Hi,
I did the North Ridge Trail.
I carry my son in a carrier.
He is 3+ so heavy.

The course goes downhill mainly and then a little uphill and downhill at the end.
I found some of the downhills quite steep for me with a backpack {child carrier}. I would recommend bringing a walking stick to help balance.

I deducted one star since the end of the trail has no tables or view and is just a tiny clearing. This made our picnic a little dull.
Other than that it was an excellent hike I'd say moderate to difficult with a child carrier.
If you are just hiking, probably moderate since it is hardly ever flat.

Somewhat challenging trail though relatively short so it's manageable. Nice views along the way and yes, the abrupt end of trail is whatever. Not much ground to hang out for too long at the top. Saw 4 bunny rabbits, not too many people and lots of wild flowers. Went around 5:30pm on the hottest Saturday yet!

Very steep descents and climbs to a weak view of HMB. Long stretches through open fields; very hot after 10:00 AM.. If your intent is to get vigorous exercise, this trail is for you.

Best to be there early in the morning, the parking can only hold about 20 cars and it's popular on weekends

Super steep but worth it! Started the hike about an hour before sunset and it was so pretty!

Great incline. Loved the scenery, lots of trees.

I prefer hiking trails that are a loop, but this was still great for a quick out and back trail. Beautiful views of half moon bay. Lots of wildflowers! Would recommend

First half is all downhill, which makes the second half (the trek back) nice and challenging! Beautiful view of the Redwoods. I went early on a Saturday around 8am and saw no other hikers. I highly recommend if you're looking for a short and sweet workout with a dose of amazing views.

Beautiful view along the trail, uphill all the way getting back:)

Started at Northridge and worked my way 3.3 miles down to Purisima Creek. The return journey is not for the beginner as there is roughly 3.8 miles of ascent. For beginners I recommend parking at Purisima Creek and exploring the beautiful redwood groves

A beautiful hike and it's my top favorite. You can enjoy the beautiful greens, redwood trees, the hills, and the scenery is just breathtaking in general!! It's great for hiking and can be a bit challenging on your way back. The beginning is easy because it's mostly downhill but once you turnaround, uphill! All the uphill walking is going to give you a good cardio workout. If you're too tired on your way back, you can take the left exit trail which takes you gradually back to the north ridge parking lot. If you want short distance and a challenge go straight onto those steep hills. I highly recommend to come see the sunset. I have twice. Just beautiful!

Great trail!! Just be prepared to do a lot of uphill hiking!

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Great little hike! Definitely a workout with a view!

Monday, October 31, 2016

My boyfriend, my brother and I all went when it was muddy and rainy which was an extra challenge. The trail itself is downhill at the beginning and then a lot of uphill. There is a dead end, so you'll have to do the trail all over again, but backward. I'm all about what will give me a good workout and this was GREAT for those who want to challenge themselves. There were people running and biking on the trail, which you'll have to keep watch of. I feel like it would have made the challenge much easier if it was not muddy. I thought the hike had pretty surroundings and I got a lot of great pictures.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Not as pretty as most of the hikes in Purisima but a little challenging especially after a rain. It gets pretty slick and washes out a little. A very good training hill.