North Lykken Trail from W. Crescent Drive

North Lykken Trail from W. Crescent Drive is a 1.7 mile out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trailhead at the north end is really inconspicuous; marked only by a small vacant piece of flat dirt next to a large house compound. The beginning is a straight up scramble for about a quarter mile; perfect to get your blood moving. The cross-over at the muse trail is a little confusing - several intersecting paths that don't show on the map- so stick to the well worn trail until you come to the picnic benches and signs. The east spur from the picnic benches is not well used and is tricky for trail-finding, so use the west (up hill) track which is well worn and marked. Overall this is a great rout for a short hike.

The trailhead at the north end is really inconspicuous; marked only by a small vacant piece of flat dirt next to a large house compound. The beginning is a straight up scramble for about a quarter mile; perfect to get your blood moving. The cross-over at the muse trail is a little confusing - several intersecting paths that don't show on the map- so stick to the well worn trail until you come to the picnic benches and signs. The east spur from the picnic benches is not well used and is tricky for trail-finding, so I recommend using the west (up hill) track which is well worn and marked. Overall this is a great rout for a short hike.

Lucked out and saw a couple Big Horn sheep while we were on this trail. Very cool.
Great views!

Sunday, December 04, 2016

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Walked the 1.7 mile trail. Lots of climbing, but walk was short. Trail is poorly marked. Did enjoy the challenge, climbing up.

Monday, December 21, 2015

Quite simply my favorite place to hike, which I do 4 days a week.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Good

Monday, March 31, 2014

I went up this tram on my Birthday! Forgot I was afraid of heights a bit! Great ride for all that love plenty of height with fantastic views. The tram floor actually rotates in a circle so all can see the 360 degree view. I went outside at the top where there was snow and 33 degrees! I should have prepared better. Due to my fear of heights on this trip, I di not hike. I drank a few beers and called it a day. Looks like a great hide away..... if you live in Palm Springs.

Friday, September 13, 2013

After an exciting trip up from the valley on the Palm Springs Tramway we chose to take one of the easy hikes near the tram station. The Desert View trail is an easy 2.1 mile loop that takes you past 5 scenic viewpoints and a mountain meadow. On a clear day (without haze) the views into the valley are quite beautiful. If you are primarily interested in the tramway ride with a short hike, this is the way to go.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

My girlfriend and I took the Round Valley 4.7 mile hike. There are a total of 54 miles of great hiking up here (elevation 8,500-10,800 ft.) Take the Palm Springs Ariel Tramway up the mountain to the top station (elevation 8,500). Be sure to monitor your breathing, the higher altitude makes it a bit tougher. Be sure to dress for the weather, it is typically 35 degrees cooler than it is in Palm Springs. Also be sure to take plenty of water. GREAT hike!!

Friday, June 08, 2012

Taking the Tram to the top of the mountain is a treat I never get tired of. When you get to the top there are 54 miles of trails you can wear yourself out on. At the Mountain station there is a viewing deck, restroom, a couple restaurants, gift shop etc. I have taken the Desert view Trail, the Nature wlk trail and the trail up to Round Valley. I never get tired of this place. Beautiful in the winter and all year round. The temperature is about 20 degrees cooler than the valley so in the summer its sweet and in the winter its sho nuff cold but the views are breath taking! Check the trail maps and the website before you go.