North Grove Loop Trail

North Grove Loop Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Dunlap, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until November.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 449 feet Route Type: Loop

3/5 stars just because this trail felt like the same, but less magnificent than an average hike in Sequoia Ntl Park (that we hiked in the same morning). The trail was REALLY well maintained by previous snowshoers & skiers. Kings Canyon Ntl Park’s official “winter hiking trails” map ($1.99) was 100% useless in that it didn’t accurately represent -!) of the winter trails - this was supposed to be the winter version of the “General Grant Trail”. Ask a Ranger in the Azalea campground/General Grant parking lot & they’ll give you an excellent breakdown of signage to follow to stay on the trail in the winter conditions. We needed to use our snowshoes for this hike, our crampons didn’t provide enough flotation!

Everyone should see the giant sequoias!

Solitary hike through some stands of large sequoias as well as some burned areas. Fairly easy.

Very nice and easy trail. Much better than the General Grant loop. You can see massive trees which are not behind a fence. The grove burnt some times ago and most of the small trees are dead in some areas but the bigger ones are still alive. A must go if you are in the Grant grove area.

A great example of rebirth following death by (Rough) fire. Lovely giant sequioa groves in fern meadows contrasted by the destruction from the Rough Fire. However, in the burned out areas next to surviving giants are hundreds (if not thousands) of young sequioa seedlings. It's an honor to stroll amongst ancient giants at sunrise.

Good hike with similar trees. Trail head says 1.7 miles.

We tried to do this near sunset when we arrived in the park, but there is a split on the north side that is not well marked so we ended up on a horse trail that we hiked for a mile or so before turning around because it was getting dark. Beautiful scenery, but could use some more signage.

This was a nice little trail I did to finish the evening. I would rate it more like moderate. I usually drop by the General Grant grove for a quick walk before leaving the park but it was so crowded and I remember seeing this trail the previous time but it was already getting dark. So I decided to hit this trail instead of the crowded General Grant. What a great choice there was no one on the trail which is much longer and nicer with meadows plants and flowers with equally impressive Giant Sequoias. There was alot of Sequoias probably more than in the Grant grove and the trail took you to the fallen giant a fallen Sequoia in a meadow that with some effort you can walk across it making it a better experience. This was way better than the same old Grant grove and nobody knows about it cause everyone visits the Grant grove only.

We were able to walk this trail with no one else around. After visiting the General Grant tree, where there were more than enough people, this was a nice quiet hike.

recorded North Grove Loop Trail

Great family hike. Kid friendly. Just enough to get a good workout.

The Dead Giant trail is accessible by the sunset trail. The sunset trail is a paved road and is downhill to the dead giant trail. There is a great view of Sequoia Lake on the dead giant trail. I was here in early May and there was still a little snow on the ground. The trail had lots of fallen trees and branches. It felt like I was off trail at times. Hopefully it gets cleaned up by the forest service.

A great Trail for an easy workout... Snowshoes recommended. But I wore hiking boots.... trekking poles would be good too. Still...nothing like hiking through the snow in the sequoias or nobody's back there. it feels like you're the only one. Creek isn't running hard it was easy to Ford.. I peeled off at dead giant Loop to check out Sequoia Lake Overlook. Beautiful day in the mountains

Sun Nov 11 2018

No one on the hike - solid redwoods.

Sat Jul 21 2018

A little more strenuous than I planned on, but beautiful hike. Cool trees and some interesting burn damage.

Tue Jul 17 2018

Easy fun trail, cool payoff with a view of sequoia lake

Sat Nov 25 2017

easy hike to do in a few hours. make sure you get to the sequioa lake overlook point. awesome!

Sun Sep 10 2017

Was able to do the trail with my niece and nephew. Good morning outside!

Wed Jun 14 2017

Nice

Wed Mar 15 2017

I've been down this old road too. A lot less people than other groves in the park. Kinda nice and quiet the morning I did it. Lots of big trees other than the sequoias too. It's easy enough for anyone for the most part.

Sun Jun 05 2016

Really fun and easy hike. Quite a bit of damage from the 2015 fire. We were alone with the Giants for most of the hike.

Mon Jun 24 2013

A nice quiet walk in a grove of sequoias. It is mostly on old logging roads and easy to follow. I think they may also allow horses on it. It is lightly travelled so you can actually get away from some of the crowds.

Mon May 13 2013

Great trail in the winter for cross country skiing. We hiked the trail which had snow drifts anywhere from 6"-8" in sections. A great place to get away from the crowds and enjoy some big trees.