North Fortuna via Rolling Hills

North Fortuna via Rolling Hills is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wow this was a good one! We used the all trails app or might have been lost though. So we followed the trial signs and were on a goose chaise until I finally just turned on the all trails app and followed the trail that way. Much easier!!! At one point there was three trails to take at the same time with no sign saying which one to go. There is a small sign that says trail and it’s the one in the middle. As you’re walking near the highway it is quiet and beautiful (yes noisy) and definitely the road less traveled. The hills are steep and will get your heart working! Our 8 year old who hikes frequently was with us. She did well and thought climbing up with her hands was cool since it got very slippery but it was fun. Now as we got to the end of the hills and closer to the highway there is a gate. It looks like the trail just ends. But keep going and off to the left there is a trail that is a little thinner but has steps and takes you up the back side of North Fortuna. If you follow the app it’s very easy and a great workout!! Bring good shoes!!!

Maybe the most challenging hike in the park. Started at the East Fortuna Staging area where there's always plenty of parking but makes the hike a bit longer (6+ miles). Serious ascents/decents along the 52. A bulldozer and water tanker were "conditioning" the service road along the 52 today. It was probably for SDGE vehicles but it also made the road less slick for hikers.

Pretty great hike, challenging at some points gets steep and loose gravel, not much shade so gets real hot! Good views though

Great workout, but definitely pay attention. I went early so had to park at the visitor center and walk to the dam. You start at Oak Canyon which can be a confusing trail, but keep going and soon you'll see directions to North Fortuna. I took the perimeter trail which has some very steep hills, especially for someone 4'10". Had to take it slow as it's pretty slippery. Don't get discouraged as it looks like it leads to a dead end with a closed gate by the freeway but you're going on the right direction! Overall an enjoyable and challenging workout. I just wish it didn't follow the 52 as the freeway is pretty distracting. Finished my 5 peak challenge here.

We were going to park near old dam but the gate wasn't open yet at 7am so we parked next to the camp ground then walked to old dam. It was a bit confusing but we had AllTrails map on so we were able to find paths. From old dam, we took oak canyon trail then north fortuna saddle trail. Those rolling hills were definitely a great cardio. I took my 6 years old son. I am not sure if I call this trail a "family friendly hike" but my son actually liked it he had so much fun. For a 6 years old, the trail is full of adventures and challenges. It was Sunday but we barely see any other hikers on rolling hills. We saw some rabbits, encountered swarm bee tho!