North Fortuna via Rolling Hills

North Fortuna via Rolling Hills is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Maybe the most challenging hike in the park. Started at the East Fortuna Staging area where there's always plenty of parking but makes the hike a bit longer (6+ miles). Serious ascents/decents along the 52. A bulldozer and water tanker were "conditioning" the service road along the 52 today. It was probably for SDGE vehicles but it also made the road less slick for hikers.

Pretty great hike, challenging at some points gets steep and loose gravel, not much shade so gets real hot! Good views though

Great workout, but definitely pay attention. I went early so had to park at the visitor center and walk to the dam. You start at Oak Canyon which can be a confusing trail, but keep going and soon you'll see directions to North Fortuna. I took the perimeter trail which has some very steep hills, especially for someone 4'10". Had to take it slow as it's pretty slippery. Don't get discouraged as it looks like it leads to a dead end with a closed gate by the freeway but you're going on the right direction! Overall an enjoyable and challenging workout. I just wish it didn't follow the 52 as the freeway is pretty distracting. Finished my 5 peak challenge here.

We were going to park near old dam but the gate wasn't open yet at 7am so we parked next to the camp ground then walked to old dam. It was a bit confusing but we had AllTrails map on so we were able to find paths. From old dam, we took oak canyon trail then north fortuna saddle trail. Those rolling hills were definitely a great cardio. I took my 6 years old son. I am not sure if I call this trail a "family friendly hike" but my son actually liked it he had so much fun. For a 6 years old, the trail is full of adventures and challenges. It was Sunday but we barely see any other hikers on rolling hills. We saw some rabbits, encountered swarm bee tho!

Im a beginner hiker so for me this was amazing, those 3 first hills give you an amazing cardio workout for sure!!! I was going to do both north and south hike but we was running out of water so we couldn't and we did the hike at 10 am so it was definitely HOT !!! Tho we survived lol but you do need a lot of water to hike that over all I loved that hike, the views, there was no lake when I went and we went to a section where there's a bunch of threes and catch some shade and makes for amazing pictures totally recommend it I am doing it again and hopefully I'll do the south one also for sure