North Fortuna and Fortuna Saddle Loop via Rim Trail

North Fortuna and Fortuna Saddle Loop via Rim Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and bird watching. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 964 feet Route Type: Loop

Users report hike can be difficult at some points due to the heat and dusty/dry trails. Remember to protect yourself against the sun by wearing hats and bringing lots of water.

Nice views at the top— very rocky though. And fairly muddy

Fantastic trail, great for trail running. If new to mission trails, print off a map of the area. Mission trails is wonderful when it comes to the outdoors, but so many different trail heads. Reminded me of the choose your own adventure books that I used to read as a kid. Highly recommended

Great trail/hike. Bring extra water as the trail is exposed and has minimal if any shade.

Very challenging hike, start at Corte playa Catalina trail, follow rim trail to 4 corners, make right down dirt bike trail to the steep trail to the fortuna saddle and up the east side of north fortuna for some killer uphill and then speed down the west side of fortuna back to playa catalina. What a beautiful view from up top, great workout a+ for being smack dab in the middle of San Diego

Beautiful sunset views looking out over the 52. You can see from TJ and the Coronado Islands in Mexico to Catalina Island on a clear day. Pretty quiet and less trafficked than the more popular Mission Trails. Good for MTB.

Love this trail but I recommend going counter clockwise. The climb going clockwise was easier and had a better view despite the freeway. However my descent had too much gravel and was very slippery. There is really no shade and make sure you have enough water. When you reach the summit make sure you check the cache and sign in or leave something. Has two great viewpoints!

Definitely recommend going early to avoid the heat and also avoid rattlesnakes. Lots of brush and close areas to walk through. We didn’t see any but another person on the trail saw one.

This was a nice hike I did see more bugs than usual it was in a weird cold a sack which I felt like we were going into the wrong place but it was the right trail. We went counter clockwise and next time I think we will go clockwise. there was other people coming down clockwise and told us that we were going the wrong way because it was a lot harder the way we were going, we even saw somebody on the trail fall down. Over all great views at the top just a weird place to start a trail.

A snow hawk nearly took off my head early this morning. I’ll always remember that encounter.

This is a lovely in town hike. The hills were blanketed in several varieties of wildflowers in full bloom! We did the loop counter clockwise so the hike up the hill was steeper which we preferred. The trail was dry. If you don’t want to hear traffic perhaps you should drive much farther east?

mud disappeared since yesterday

Great hike! One of my favorites in San Diego. The scenery is pretty and it’s a good workout!

Thu Oct 25 2018

Bland trail with constant freeway noise (70% of trip). Nice views at top.

Thu Oct 18 2018

Mon Sep 03 2018

Both mountains have their attraction, I recommend climbing first Fortuna Sur up the stairs continue to Fortuna north and down the perimeter path of the latter, you must bring a map of the park (you can print the page or the visitor center is available) to choose the right path in the return.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Great 4.1-mile loop done this morning. Trails are well marked and easy to navigate, especially in combination with the Alltrails app. We started around 1030am and hiked for two hours, stopping frequently for the dogs to drink water and take breaks. There is no shade, so make sure that your pup is ready for the heat! The trail was dry and dusty and therefore slippery in some of the steeper sections. If you go clockwise around the loop you end up going down the steepest part rather than up it. Overall an easy to slightly moderate hike for more experienced hikers. Lovely views and breeze at the top.

Sat Jun 16 2018

I really enjoyed this hike however labeling it as “moderate” is a misnomer. The Fortuna Mountain Summit part of the trail is listed as difficult, not moderate, on the signs there. it was a tough and rewarding hike but people should have a more accurate idea of what they are getting into with this one.