North Dome Trail via Upper Yosemite Falls Trail

North Dome Trail via Upper Yosemite Falls Trail is a 14.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 14.2 miles Elevation Gain: 5,626 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Honestly this trail is incredible. It gives you multiple incredible views of Yosemite Valley. However it is very difficult and as a day hike it will take you all day. Arriving early to the trailhead is also ideal because parking can be hard to come by later in the day. You should also be taking at least 3 liters of water. You have a big climb for the first 4 miles as well. But it is totally worth it!! Such a beautiful hike!!

Did it last year in April. Difficult to follow after Upper Yosemite Falls but very rewarding. It seems that you are within touching distance of the North Dome. Water and snacks is a must. Plan for around 10 hrs of hiking.

Monday, October 08, 2018

Difficulty level is high. Reward exceeds that. Parts of the trail can be very confusing. We had a seasoned hiker with us and it saved our asses. The entire trail is beautiful and peaceful. Bring plenty of water and start early if your pace is not quick. Took us 10 hours round trip from base of Yosemite Falls trailhead. We went back the same way. The views were both stunning and one in a lifetime experiences. I will never forget this trail.

Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Have hiked a lot of Yosemite over the years and of course there isn’t a bad seat in the house. The low rating on this trail is all about the relentless down on a decaying trail to mirror lake. If you want to check out North Dome from the valley floor I highly recommend going back the same route you can up via upper Yosemite trail.

Thursday, June 07, 2018

I'm surprised this one is not more popular! It's a great hike, great view from halfdome, cloudrest, and the valley! I included indian rock/arch - but don't. Not worth the detour despite being so close

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

We did a day hike and got started around 7am. Very tough hike but well worth it. I got roughly 18+ miles on my GPS watch. The trail gets pretty confusing once you reach Yosemite Point and you pretty much have to head towards and along the ridge after Yosemite Point and head up the granite. Eventually you will find the trail. I used googlemaps from my phone and was able to get the trail to come up and used GPS to get me to the trail. Once on the trail it’s pretty straight forward. Hike will take 8+ hours round trip.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018