North Carl Lykken Trail to Falls Overlook

North Carl Lykken Trail to Falls Overlook is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from October until March. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,253 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I hiked this trail yesterday with a pair of tennis shoe and had to stop every 10 minutes to pull the spiky brush out of my shoes that were piercing my toes. I would not do this hike without solid shoes and pants. Definitely not appropriate for dogs.

Started from the north. Quick ascent, then short decent, then an easier traverse. About 40 min in, we took the trail up the foot of the falls. Well worth it. Epic views. Trail a bit washed out from the recent heavy rain, but still pretty easy to follow. Not that technical.

Strenuous hike. We hiked in just under two miles. Hikers along the way informed us the wash from hard rains yesterday resulted in a lot of big rocks and standing water making it difficult to get to the falls.

I would not suggest this trail for Mountain Biking. You'd be a magician if you could get your bike up or down the Cielo Trailhead as it's a 100' cliff with many switchbacks that are less than a bike's length. Stupid me carried my 31lb trail bike 1/4 the way up before ditching it and climbing to the top. I was dismayed to see that the trail that descends from the top down to the area behind the waterhead is very steep and rocky. I abandoned the idea of biking this trail. The amount of very strenuous hike-a-bike you'd have to do to get in a few miles of riding just can't be worth it. The views were beautiful and a hike would probably be a lovely day. Just don't bring your two-wheeler.

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Very nice, moderate difficulty for my beginner level in trail running. No shade at all (no pb at the end of March, but could be later in the season), very open view. Met some horn sheeps.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Steep climb at the start, then beautiful views along the way. We saw lots of red tailed hawks. Bring lots of water. Definitely want to come back to this one.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

I was really Lykken this trail to run on, until I tripped, shattered my iPhone 6s and scraped up my hands, knees, and shoulder. I don’t run trails that often and was just wearing regular running shoes, so I’ll chalk some of it up to that. But take it easy if you go for a run!

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Great hike, small free parking lot. Very steep climb at first, and little to no shade most of the hike.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Excellent trail. We saw Big Horn sheep. It was amazing.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

One of my new favorite trails. Pass by beautiful homes in way to trailhead. Starts out steep but great view and can picnic at top before proceeding. Meanders through valley and rock formations. Slow ascent towards end overlooking Old Las Palmas. Not sure where waterfall is. Instead of turning back or continuing along Museum trail, we took the climb down to street and walked through the mid century neighborhoods back to our bikes at trailhead. It was a wonderful terrain and urban hike.