North Carl Lykken Trail to Falls Overlook

North Carl Lykken Trail to Falls Overlook is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from October until March. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Very nice, moderate difficulty for my beginner level in trail running. No shade at all (no pb at the end of March, but could be later in the season), very open view. Met some horn sheeps.

Steep climb at the start, then beautiful views along the way. We saw lots of red tailed hawks. Bring lots of water. Definitely want to come back to this one.

I was really Lykken this trail to run on, until I tripped, shattered my iPhone 6s and scraped up my hands, knees, and shoulder. I don’t run trails that often and was just wearing regular running shoes, so I’ll chalk some of it up to that. But take it easy if you go for a run!

Great hike, small free parking lot. Very steep climb at first, and little to no shade most of the hike.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Excellent trail. We saw Big Horn sheep. It was amazing.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

One of my new favorite trails. Pass by beautiful homes in way to trailhead. Starts out steep but great view and can picnic at top before proceeding. Meanders through valley and rock formations. Slow ascent towards end overlooking Old Las Palmas. Not sure where waterfall is. Instead of turning back or continuing along Museum trail, we took the climb down to street and walked through the mid century neighborhoods back to our bikes at trailhead. It was a wonderful terrain and urban hike.

Sunday, February 26, 2017