North and South Fortuna and Kwaay Paay Peak

North and South Fortuna and Kwaay Paay Peak is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Santee, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,755 feet Route Type: Loop

This loop will take you to three of the Mission Trail peaks: North Fortuna Peak, South Fortuna Peak, and Kwaay Paay Peak. The majority of this trail offers minimal shade, and has both steep inclines and steep downhill slopes. Hiking poles might be useful for the steep down hill slopes, especially if taking the trail in the opposite direction as shown. Bathrooms are located near where Oak Park Trail meets the Father Junipero Trail (paved street).

Fun trail that my wife and I used to train for an upcoming backpacking trip. My fitbit clocked it in at 12.05 miles. I consider this a moderate difficulty loop and that was with a 30lb pack.

Súper challenging.!!! Great workout

Did this hike with two friends I don’t really like that much. Started at about 8am with low testosterone and mild depression. The hike starts slow but don’t worry there is elevation afoot. I wore brand new boots to punish myself extra. Closer to noon it was about 80 degrees, I recommend 3 liters of water. There is a water fountain near the final peak trailhead the Hawaiianish named one Kwalliwannadienow. Do this hike if you enjoy skin cancer and hurt feelings. I feel like if you’re gonna do this one you might as well do all 5 peaks and get an Uber back to your car, you’ll get way more likes from THOTS on IG.

Forecast said mid- to upper-60s. No breeze at all walking up the service road to the saddle, sweating buckets. Once reached the saddle, nice breeze. Lots of ppl doing the 5 Peaks Challenge.

So hard and amazing. Saw a rattle snake

Muddy but good workout

I did kwaay paay first... because didn’t want that to occur at the end... this was a tuff hike!!!